Thread: Go one month out of Japan : what about pets ?

Fukaya-shi, 50 km north from Tokyo, on JR Takasaki line

Default Go one month out of Japan : what about pets ?

Hi there,

As title says, I'll go out of Japan in August, for one month. I have two cats and dunno what to do with them. They can't stay alone inside the house such a long time, even if I buy/make an automatic system to feed them (and it could fail, with the consequences you can imagine). They can't stay one month out either. I've found some "Pet's hotels" on Internet, but they ask near 100.000 yens to keep them... in a cage, most of the time : well, that looks far from perfect, and more costly than my airplane go-and-back ticket to Europe !
    Has anyone had this problem before ? How did you solve it ?

Note : violence isn't an option ;)

Default Go one month out of Japan : what about pets ?

Well since violence is not an option ( bummer 😎 )
    Find a friend you trust to come check on them.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Yeah, there must be a junior high or high school girl in your neighborhood who would love to get a thousand yen per day just to go give them food and water once a day.

The problem is, you're going to have a lot of cat turds and cat piss from two cats in thirty days. If their box isn't clean enough, them they will start doing it other places in your house.

You're going to have to pay enough to get the person to clean their box several times as well.

Fukaya-shi, 50 km north from Tokyo, on JR Takasaki line

You're both right...
    Find a good friend to regularly come and check if everything's ok is the best, keeping in mind I'd have to find an efficient way to thank him (not just with a "thank you"). Unhappily for me, as many guys unable to speak Japanese I guess, I still have no friends in my area, just acquaintances. Who, on this forum, would like to become my single service friend (I'm sure you know where this come from) ?
    More seriously, my cats live 2/3 of their time outside ; so, I don't really worry for their box : they use it only if they have to stay at least one entire day inside. They always ask to go out... if there is no rain.
    I'm seriously thinking to build them a kind of "pet's home" in the garden, with an automatic cat's door (working with a magnetic collar) : then, the "job" would just be to come, let's say every two days, to verify they still have water and cat's food available. If anybody knows someone interested in Fukaya's area, please tell me. Of course, I would reward that service. I'm not that stingy

Ask around the neighbourhood. Many Japanese kids can't have a pet, so I'm sure someone will do it.