Thread: Custom Paint

Default Custom Paint

Hi all,

If this is the wrong place to post, then let me know! I have a Harley Fatboy and want to get it custom painted. Does anyone know of any place that does that in the Tokyo area? Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Richie

How far outside of Tokyo are you willing to travel? I know of 2 custom shops that do paint (both small independent Harley shops) but one is in Sakura and the other is in Narita.
    Also what kind of custom paint are you looking for? Murals, panels, textured, plain custom, lacework, pinstriping? Some shops only do certain kinds of work, or only do certain kinds of work well, knowing what kind of work you want done may help people suggest the correct shop for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    How far outside of Tokyo are you willing to travel? I know of 2 custom shops that do paint (both small independent Harley shops) but one is in Sakura and the other is in Narita.
    Also what kind of custom paint are you looking for? Murals, panels, textured, plain custom, lacework, pinstriping? Some shops only do certain kinds of work, or only do certain kinds of work well, knowing what kind of work you want done may help people suggest the correct shop for your needs.
    I can easily travel out as far as Narita or Sakura without any issue! I want to do a B52 bomber style of paint on the tank and fenders. So it would be a kind of mural I guess.

Thanks for giving me the information! I really appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0376.JPG  

As I'm not sure of addresses I will try and grab GPS coordinates of the 2 shops over the next couple of days so you can find them, but it depends on my work schedule how quickly I can get them.

One word of advice though, be careful not to offend when you talk to them about B52's. Although it's rare that can still be a touchy subject with some Nihonjin. Personally I'd tell them it was a P51 Mustang paintjob, same rivited aluminium and nose art look but no connection with nuclear bombs.

Why would Japanese be touchy about B52s? P51s killed more people and did more damage in Japan than any B52 ever did.

These guys are in Tokyo. Check out their gallery: http://www.ps-factory.com

Also....

Tachikawa: https://www.stupidcrown.com

Hachioji: http://wedge-motorcycle.tokyo/galler...ry/custombike/

Higashimurayama: http://www.urethane-ya.com

Ota-ku: http://chaosdesign.info/concept.html

etc etc etc
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 02-08-17 at 02:21 PM.

Hiroshima....Nagasaki.... Now you and I know that they were bombed by B29's but the Japanese just figure "Bombers" and the B52 was the face of American nuclear military force for decades, you really don't have to wonder why they might be a little touchy about it. It's usually the older Japanese (50+ years old) who were raised to fear bombers by the reactions of their parents and grandparents or the younger Japanese with right wing nationalistic sympathies who grew up with the idea that the American bombers were rubbing their faces in the failures of the past and American bases in Japan are an insult, these people can, and will, find offense at glorifying a B52. Whereas they look at a P51 with no problems, sure the P51 splashed an awful lot of Japanese aircraft but they did so in an honorable form of combat, not the mass slaughter of civilian women and children.
    Hell my wife, who is Japanese and likes to go to Narita to watch the passenger planes land and take off, freaks out at the sight of large aircraft that aren't passenger planes and shes only 41 and has never been to either Hiroshima or Nagasaki, it is a fear she learned from her parents and grandparents. Even the large Japanese coastguard planes when they fly nearby scare the crap out of her and it doesn't matter how many times I explain that they don't carry any weapons. The Japanese teachers I work with in schools are just as terrified by large unfamiliar aircraft and for the same reasons.
    Go to a museum even, stand at the entrance of the WW2 exhibit and watch how many Japanese avoid it and refuse to enter, both young and old. It isn't B52's in particular that they hate, it's "bomber" aircraft in general.

Give the people here a little credit; they know what B29s were. They bombed a whole hell of a lot more than just Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They're not idiot enough to associate B52s with those attacks.

I can see you must not be familiar with P51 strafing attacks on things like passenger trains...and that you've never been to a base on Friendship Day and seen the oodles and oodles of Japanese people eager to tour the American military aircraft and warships. People aren't one-tenth as neurotic about it as you make them out to be.
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 02-08-17 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks Rev for the info. Yeah there is no rush, when you get the chance it would be great.

Thanks Mike Cash for the huge amount of places too! I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Give the people here a little credit; they know what B29s were. They bombed a whole hell of a lot more than just Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They're not idiot enough to associate B52s with those attacks.

I can see you must not be familiar with P51 strafing attacks on things like passenger trains...and that you've never been to a base on Friendship Day and seen the oodles and oodles of Japanese people eager to tour the American military aircraft and warships. People aren't one-tenth as neurotic about it as you make them out to be.
    Sure, I must be confusing the emotions and reactions of my wife and the 30+ teachers I work with every day with something else, maybe it's seagulls they freak out at flying overhead or perhaps they just have gas. As for the actual conversations I've had with them concerning why they're afraid, I guess I should chalk that up to eating cheese before bed. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Default Custom Paint

Having lived here a great number of years now I tend to agree with Mike on this and my experiences are like mikes and I interact with Japanese daily.
    But that's not wat this thread is about so to be back on topic a bit and so not to offend me sensitivity 😎
    Look you don't have to mention bombers or that at all.

Just tell them you'd like your tank painted in old aircraft styling with the riviting and such. You will be fine no body's going to be offended at it and the bottom line is they have families to feed and will not turn your work away.
    And if they would it's not a shop you'd want to deal with anyways.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Having lived here a great number of years now I tend to agree with Mike on this and my experiences are like mikes and I interact with Japanese daily.
    But that's not wat this thread is about so to be back on topic a bit and so not to offend me sensitivity 😎
    Look you don't have to mention bombers or that at all.

Just tell them you'd like your tank painted in old aircraft styling with the riviting and such. You will be fine no body's going to be offended at it and the bottom line is they have families to feed and will not turn your work away.
    And if they would it's not a shop you'd want to deal with anyways.

Thanks Racer162!

I appreciate your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Sure, I must be confusing the emotions and reactions of my wife and the 30+ teachers I work with every day with something else, maybe it's seagulls they freak out at flying overhead or perhaps they just have gas. As for the actual conversations I've had with them concerning why they're afraid, I guess I should chalk that up to eating cheese before bed. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

"Why are you so jumpy?"
    "A big plane just flew overhead and I thought it was a WWII bomber and had flashbacks"

x30 x every single day.

How you got them all collected in one place like that is right out of the twilight zone. I've never known anybody in Japan like that and I include in that the generation of people who actually went through WWII here.

Nobody at a paint shop is going to be offended, triggered, or in any way lose their shit over the mention of a B52.

You been buggin my ass since I first posted on this site, but let me ask you a question, is this an assumption you have or have you actually sat down and discussed this with people like I have? I'm betting it's the former.
    I'll tell you what, next time your cruising through Sakura lemme know in advance. I'll bring you in for coffee and you can discuss it with my wife, hell provide enough advanced notice and I'll even get a few of the teachers around for coffee and you can ask them too. I've got nothing to hide and no reason to lie, I'm more than willing to prove to you that what I said is true. You never know, you might even learn something.

Default Custom Paint

Sorry to interject here but To Many ANGRY people on the site recently. Must be the heat.
    Stop hijacking threads people.
    Rant finished
    👍😎🏁

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.😎
    Last edited by racer162; 03-08-17 at 05:01 PM.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph