Thread: Bought a 250CC bike with current insurance sticker and old papers

Default Bought a 250CC bike with current insurance sticker and old papers

Hi, I recently bought a VTR250 and the guy has paid for the insurance until November of next year and the plate has the sticker to prove it. The papers I have are old so where/how do I get the current papers (he lost them and has already moved) so I can register my bike. Not sure what the process is. Thanks.

What papers do you currently have? Can you still contact the person you bought it from?

I wasn't clear in my post. I shouod be able to register the bike fine but I need replacement insurance papers so I don't have to buy insurance while it still has valid insurance. They specifically asked for valid insurance papers. The papers I do have is a paper we both signed, a small white paper with his name plate number etc, and the one he got when he bought it from Apex Moto. This one from Apex also shows that insurance was paid for 1 year on the back but since then the insurance has been renewed and I don't have those papers. When I tried to register it previously they asked for it. I'm going to go to the insurance building in nerima today to see if they can help. The sticker on the plate is valid so I'm hoping it will be easy. I can email the previous owner but he moved out of the country.

So what you need is the jibaiseki insurance papers? You need to contact the company which handled the jibaiseki and they can reissue the papers for you. If it was renewed through the same company as on the old papers, check with them.

Thanks for the replies. Assuming he used the same company does this stamp from the old papers say where he got it? http://i.imgur.com/3nAJpZt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Time Mage View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Assuming he used the same company does this stamp from the old papers say where he got it? http://i.imgur.com/3nAJpZt.jpg
    Mitsui-Sumitomo

Is this is where I would go - 三井住友海上火災保険 本店、〒101-8011 Tokyo, Chiyoda, Kanda Surugadai, 3 Chome−9 (http://goo.gl/rfHhPr) ?

Or any branch office near you.

I was able to confirm it was Mitsui-Sumitomo. The guy who sold me the bike told me it was one of the insurance dealers near nerima so I wasted my time going there first. One of the guys called MS for me and confirmed the insurance was from them. He wanted to sell me insurance because he said it would be very difficult to transfer the insurance to me since the seller is out of the country and I would need his hanko. I only have his old papers and a signed bill of sale. I figured I'd at least go the branch and try first and I ended up falling while I was riding and I have no idea if I did any damage to the bike. I wasn't going very fast but I don't know anything about repairing bikes. All I know for sure is the gear pedal is bent but I can just bend that back. I was able to ride it home at least. I have been in Japan for only a month and I am having some bad luck. I just recovered from an infection and had to go to the hospital for the first time in over 5 years and then I fall off my bike.

Wow! That's not good news at all. But you'll end up recovering.