Thread: Where to ride out of Santa Clara, California?

Question Where to ride out of Santa Clara, California?

OK, so it's not about Japan. But I've never visited the US and I know there are plenty of American riders on here..
    I have three days at the start of a business trip to California. Will by staying in Santa Clara. Thinking to rent a bike (probably a Harley Sportster from Eaglerider SF) for a day and explore.

I can choose either Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd, or Monday 4th (Labor Day holiday).

Any and all suggestions for routes, rental shops, which day etc much appreciated!

I used to take part in meetup.com motorcycle rides in WA State. Searching for "meetup.com san jose" and then typing "motorcycle" into the san jose meetup.com page brought up lots of groups. Somewhere in there you'll find detailed ideas.

Paging @ToraTora

Sorry. Had a job for a while and was absent! Job is over so I can be around again. :0

Yeah I can show you around if you like--some of the best roads in the States are in this area. Yesterday I lead the B group for Doc Wong's monthly. Super fun. :) But there are lots of fun places. We have had a lot of ravage from the weather this year though so some of the roads are pretty messed up. But you can navigate around them.

In addition to Eagle Rider there's Doubleju. Both have nice options.

A lot of folks like to ride the adventure bikes around here too. There are a good number of Goaty roads, curvy, etc. Pretty much most of the things that you'd want.

HWY 9 is a favorite for a bunch of folks. Right now 236 is like a kart track--I had a blast on it yesterday. 35 is a favorite for many people and easy to get to from Santa Clara. 84 west of 35 is still nice, but 84 to the east is messed up. You can go up Kings instead to get to 35. Alices, and STP are at the corner of 35 and 84. Ducati tends to set up shop on 84 when they do their Demo rides.

Stage rode is a bunch of fun. Pescadero, and Alpine are nice--Alpine is pretty tight though. If you like the Goaty there's Smith road, Jamison, and China grade will give you plenty of action. Empire, and Bonny Dune are nice too, and of course HWY1 is beautiful if some what boring for the riding part.

And if you are looking for more then in the North bay there are a bunch of great roads, as there are also in the East Bay. You could spend a whole week here just finding fun places to ride--oh and yeah South Bay too. I recently did some fun riding out by the Talbott Moto Museum close to Monterey. That was a whole lot of fun too. :)

Awesome, thanks a lot for the detailed response! Going to look it all up on google maps when I get home.

Sure happy to help. If you have questions just post them up.

I went with a Sportster 1200 from Doubleju, thanks for the tip! Eaglerider didn't seem interested in answering any questions and were slightly more pricey.

Can't wait to get out there. I'll try to plan out a ride soon.

Yeah let me know what your dates are, and if I'm around we can go for a ride. Don't worry I'm not a fast rider. I just like to have fun. :)

For sure, I'd be stoked to have a riding buddy if you're free, and as long as you don't mind cruising speed. It'll be my first time on a Harley, planning on taking it easy and soaking up the scenery. I only have the bike for Sunday the 3rd (this coming Sunday).

Cruising is fine. I don't ride all that fast anymore. ;) Also, we always wait at the turns for folks to catch up so no one feels like they have to ride over their heads. Since you'll be on a cruiser maybe we should avoid the more goaty, and tight roads. Let me know your preferences, and I can come up with a nice route--oh and how long you'd like to ride too. There are plenty of places to fuel up both the bikes and the humans.

Sunday is good. I'm in SF fairly close to CCSF. But I can meet you pretty much wherever. My neighbor likes to ride down there too. If you are okay with a few folks I can see if any of my other buddies would like to go. Some of them even ride Harleys. ;) I guess it's Labor Day weekend so it might be a little busy, but it should still be fun.

Also, what time did you want to go?

Sounds good, thanks! Yeah, I definitely don't want to ride on anything unsealed, or with too much gravel, sand or potholes. Twisty or a bit narrow is fine, as long as nobody minds me slowing them down :) First time riding on the right hand side, so will be good to have someone leading the way. I don't mind a small group if you want to bring a couple of buddies, not so keen on big groups though :)

I was thinking of heading out in the morning, maybe meet at 9 or 10 if that suits you? I'll probably ride until pretty late in the day, but if you or anyone else needs to leave earlier that's no problem. I'll be starting from Santa Clara, but let me know where you think is a convenient meeting point and I can find my way there.

I'll PM you my email address.

Will you be picking the bike up in SF on Sunday? If so we could meet you at the shop.

Turns out this is Labor Day weekend so lots of folks already have plans. I've been so focused on building my next track bike that I've been oblivious. lolz

Cool San Furanshiko desu!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6920.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	12676

We didn't stop all that much for photos, but here are some that I snapped. ;)

It was insanely hot for this area. I could tell that the heat was effecting me because I was making all sorts of mistakes. Still it was a great time--super fun hanging out and riding. :D

I hope more of you can come visit some day.

Name:	IMG_6922.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	12677

Name:	IMG_6923.jpg 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	12678

Name:	IMG_6924.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	12679

Name:	IMG_6925.jpg 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	12680

Name:	IMG_6926.jpg 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	12681

Name:	IMG_6927.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	12682

Thanks a lot for showing me round and lending me your jacket! It was a great day of riding. Great roads out here.

I'll post some photos up when I have a chance.

Just realised I failed to post any photos of this trip.

Rob showed me some great roads in California. He's also coming to ride in Japan this year to ride (see his thread).

Name:	IMG_20170902_183640~2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	12894

Name:	IMG_20170903_134158_1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	12896

Name:	IMG_20170904_154103.jpg 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	12895

Name:	IMG_20170904_180146~2.jpg 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	12897

Name:	IMG_20170904_145655.jpg 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	12898

Name:	IMG_20170909_110010~2.jpg 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	12899

.. And the forum software cropped them in a strange way. Sorry about that.

Nice pictures. Lived in LA for 15 years, did get to SF to look for work, found a job, but no place to rent. That was back in 78. Did like it there though.

It seems that if you put in an image that is too large (resolution wise) they go outside the boundaries of the window. If you look at them on a wide enough monitor then the whole image is reveled. What I've done in the past is resized them to 1024 widths. Those always seem to post okay.

It was a good time riding with you. I was a bit beat up by the heat though. Guess I better get use to it soon. :P I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and going on some rides. But I've still got a lot of planing to work out!