Thread: Jibaiseki cost clarification 2017 (Mandatory vehicle insurance)

Default Jibaiseki cost clarification 2017 (Mandatory vehicle insurance)

Hello,
    I found a web site that listed the cost of jibaiseki in 1993 as

1 year 2 years 3 years
    250cc+ 17,100 yen 27,800 yen N/A
    126-250cc 13,650 21,000 yen 28,000 yen
    125cc or less 7,850 yen 9800 yen 11,600 yen

This is very old information. Howerver the cost of 250+ bikes is higher than in the lower categories.

Today I found a pdf document from 2017 that lists the following numbers:

1 year 2 years 3 years
    250cc+ 8,209 yen 11,520 yen 14,690 yen
    126-250cc 8,650 yen 12,200 yen 15,720 yen
    125cc or less 7,500 yen 9,950 yen 12,340 yen

Can anybody confirm these prices? It is interesting thet the 250+ cost is lower than the smaller category.
    Thank you!

Jurgen

Last edited by Montrealmensch; 17-08-17 at 03:06 AM.

Thank you for the confirmation. Any thoughts of why the 250+ category is cheaper that 126-250?
    Probably because most riders fall ito the latter category.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Montrealmensch View Post
    Thank you for the confirmation. Any thoughts of why the 250+ category is cheaper that 126-250?
    Probably because most riders fall ito the latter category.
    J
    My guess is that all the rates are calculated against each other based on the history of insurance payouts made on behalf of each of the categories. That could be influenced by the number of accidents and the number of vehicles insured under each category.

Jibaiseki costs were reduced this year. They system is apparently quite healthy so the govt
    decided to reduce premiums.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Wow that's very affordable!

Here in the Bay Area I have to pay higher rates. For one of my GPRs (50cc) it's about $100 per year (because I get a lot of discounts), and the 899 was quite a lot more! Currently I'm insuring five bikes: 4 GPRs of different years, and the 899 with Geico's highest coverage for about $1200/year. If I added the Mito (125cc) it would be around $400 more, but currently the bike is in non-op status. Still quite a lot for a 125.

Default Jibaiseki cost clarification 2017 (Mandatory vehicle insurance)

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post

Here in the Bay Area I have to pay higher rates. For one of my GPRs (50cc) it's about $100 per year (because I get a lot of discounts), and the 899 was quite a lot more! Currently I'm insuring five bikes: 4 GPRs of different years, and the 899 with Geico's highest coverage for about $1200/year. If I added the Mito (125cc) it would be around $400 more, but currently the bike is in non-op status. Still quite a lot for a 125.
    You need to understand the jibaseki insurance in this thread cover NOTHING 😎
    As that's mandatory from the gvmt. In order to have real insurance we have to get second insurance or ninihokken. And that's like what we gave in the states and it's a bit more.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post

To build upon what was mentioned earlier:

This (jibaiseki) is a mandatory insurance pool to provide protection for people injured by uninsured motorists. The insurance attaches to the insured vehicle and the rates depend only on the vehicle type; they have nothing to do with the driver or his driving record. If you sell the vehicle, the remaining valid portion of the insurance changes remains valid; it doesn't matter who owns the vehicle. It pays absolutely nothing for your own injuries and it pays absolutely nothing for property damage of any kind whatsoever.

So, for example, if you drive around with ONLY this and think you are covered because you have the mandatory insurance and you smack into somebody and total their car and put them in the hospital....the victim doesn't have to worry about how he's going to pay his medical expenses caused by your uninsured ass whacking the hell out of him....the uninsured motorist insurance on your vehicle protects on that. What he does have to worry about is how he's going to get you to pay for the damage to his car, since you don't have insurance. It is also what YOU have to worry about, once you learn the very very very hard way that you weren't actually insured at all when all this time you had been happily riding around thinking you were.

There have been many people who learned the hard way.

I knew one guy who for years had proper third-party insurance (nin'ihoken) but foolishly cancelled it as an unnecessary expense, reasoning "Why should I pay them? I'm a careful driver and I've never had an accident". He then promptly rear-ended and totalled a taxicab. He no longer drives. He tells people it is because he is an environmentalist and is saving the planet. The truth is he's a dumbass who thought "mandatory insurance" covered everything and he can't afford to replace his own car (also totalled) because he is spending several years making monthly payments to the taxi company to pay for the cab he destroyed.

Anybody who gets on the road with nothing but jibaiseki is just a personal financial disaster bomb looking for a place to explode.

Insurance rates on third-party insurance (nin'ihoken) vary according to the same factors you're used to in the States: driving record, age, deductible amount, coverage limit, type of coverage, insurance company, etc.

Deleted

Thanks for the update guys! It really did sound too good to be true. lolz

I've been looking at another bike, and so I called up my insurance company, and asked how much my rates would be. The answer is because I could then lower the annual milage on the 899 (because those miles would now happen on the other bike) the costs would drop by about $200! Damn. Guess I need to buy another bike. lolz