Thread: Hello! California rider, looking to start in Tokyo

Default Hello! California rider, looking to start in Tokyo

Hiya everybody,

I'm a new rider from the states, and I'm looking to start out with something along the lines of a 125cc (max my landlord allows right now). I hope to move onto a chuugata once I move out, but in the meantime I'm looking for a decent used 125cc sports bike, something like a CBR125.

Anyone know any places they got screwed over by that I should be aware of? Currently looking at yahoo auctions, but not sure how I should approach the logistics of shipping a bike to Tokyo.

Looking forward to see you guys on the road!

With the population density what it is around the Tokyo area, you should be able to find a bike close enough that it makes more monetary sense to just take a train to go pick it up and ride it back home than it does to pay to ship it.

There are several hundred dealers within easy reach as well. GooBike will help you find something that matches what you want and nearby, if you know how to use the menus.

I appreciate the reply Mike. It's terrific to know GooBike isn't a scammy site, so I'll be sure to look at the listings there.

By the way, is it legal to ride the bike back without having new plates registered for the bike? I'm in Setagaya currently; I hope that doesn't complicate things.

Edit: I cross-referenced the prices on goobike and yahoo auction, and it seems prices on yahoo beat listings on goobike by about 10man at worst. Does it really cost more than or equivalent to 10man to ship a bike 50 miles (80km)? I'm sure certification of maintenence plays a part, but I've worked on bikes before and it hasn't been that much of a hassle getting something working on craiglist back in the states.
    Last edited by St3cky; 27-09-17 at 06:43 AM.

If you buy the bike in the same prefecture in which you live the number plate will not change.
    If you buy it in a different prefecture as long as you have ALL the paperwork ride it home and when you register it you'll get a new number plate.
    Another note GooBike is mostly shops and dealers where yahoo auctions is a much higher percentage of private sellers which is where your price difference is.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

GooBike is not a scammy site for the simple reason GooBike is not in the business of selling you a motorcycle. GooBike is a site where dealerships pay the site to list their inventory in a database easily directly searchable by consumers. All the bikes on there are for sale by brick-n-mortar dealerships. When you consider that, you can easily see why prices there aren't really directly comparable to prices on Yahoo Auctions, where the bikes are (usually) listed for sale directly by the owner. If you find a bike on YA listed by a dealer it is doubtful that you would find that exact same individual bike listed for 100k more on the dealer's listings in GB. I can't imagine that ever being the case.

If you buy from a dealer you will (or can) have the registration process all taken care of and just ride it home. If you buy from an individual you can still do the registration before riding it home. Just depends on how you wish to make the arrangements and how much trouble you're willing to go to. A few years ago I bought a bike from an individual seller via Craig's List. The guy was about 80km away and I just paid him for the bike, he mailed me the papers, a dealer/mechanic friend went and got the tags for me, and my son and I rode double to go pick up the bike, license plate and registration in hand. No problem.

Shipping cost will vary according to whether you want door-to-door pick-up and delivery or whether you do a drop-off and pick-up at the shipper's terminals.

You can get free online estimates from up to six companies for bike shipping costs here: https://t.bikehikaku.com
    Just fill in the form.

Have you looked at CL Tokyo?

https://tokyo.craigslist.jp/mcy/d/ho...293617198.html

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    If you buy the bike in the same prefecture in which you live the number plate will not change.
    He's talking about a bike under 125cc. Those are registered by municipalities/wards, not prefectures.

Another note GooBike is mostly shops and dealers
    I believe it is all dealers. Is that not the case? I've never noticed a private listing there.

I'm stunned by how well you know the paperwork around here. Since I barely even have my stuff together at the DMV back in the states, it's really helpful to have these replies. So thank you guys very much racer162 and Mike.

I'm hoping to get a bike on yahoo auctions for now, and check into bikehikaku to see how their rates are.

I've checked on craiglist but most bikes there are scooter, or way over 125cc. Unfortunately many posts up at the moment are already sold or there's no response. I'll keep checking, but I'm crossing my fingers yahoo auctions works out so I can cut my commute in half.

Hope the roads are treating you guys well!

Mike good point yeah forgot bout that.
    My goo bike comment was like that as I've seen a few mom and pop shops with the GooBike banner. I don't consider them dealers. But yeah I see your point.
    Anyways St3ky good luck it's all pretty easy actually.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Did you see this on Craigslist? I don't know if it's been sold.

https://tokyo.craigslist.jp/mcy/d/ho...293617198.html

Unfortunately, a lot of posts on craigslist are already sold (listing still there) or the seller doesn't respond.

I called the guy with the CBR125 a week ago, but he said he already sold it. There's also a Kawasaki 250 ninja, but the seller still hasn't replied since for the past 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by St3cky View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of posts on craigslist are already sold (listing still there) or the seller doesn't respond.

I called the guy with the CBR125 a week ago, but he said he already sold it. There's also a Kawasaki 250 ninja, but the seller still hasn't replied since for the past 2 weeks.
    I can find you a decent bike from the dealer auctions. We are a brick and mortar business ( Apexmoto ) and licensed to sell motorcycles and insurance ( Goobike requirements ). We are also on Goobike.
    Yahoo auctions are ok, only if you personally go and inspect the bike. Otherwise there are as many bad bikes as there are good. You can contact me on 08054029004 or john@apexmoto.jp
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.