Thread: Bringing Japanese spec KTM home to Tennessee USA

Default Bringing Japanese spec KTM home to Tennessee USA

Anybody know the drill regarding what's got to be done to get a Japanese bike retitled in the USA?
    I know TN is fairly relaxed about tagging converted dirtbikes, UTV's, etc., and I once registered and tagged a CR500 with lights years ago and all I had to put on it were DOT front and rear lights, brake light switch, bicycle speedo, and one mirror. I did put DOT dual purpose tires on it as well.
    Anyhow, my son is stationed on Okinawa with a KTM390 and wants to bring it home.

Advice?
    Mike C

Because he's in the military it should be possible, but it's not worth it for that bike. What it's going to cost you will out weight any benefit. Better to sell the 390 there, and buy a brand new one in the States.

Now if it was something rare that you can't get here in the States then it's worth it. And because being in the military allows for bringing home exotic vehicles he could sell off the KTM and get something that's not generally obtainable here in the States. Right now the replica 250s are pretty hot, and commanding a pretty penny, but that's because they basically just became legal for "normal" people via the 25 year rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    What it's going to cost you will out weight any benefit.
    What will it cost him?