Thread: Buying 250 while continuing for Oogata?

Default Buying 250 while continuing for Oogata?

Hi all,

Maybe a silly question, but as the title suggest, what are your thoughts on getting a cheap 2nd hand 250 whilst continuing for my Oogata?

The reason me asking is due to circumstances I've actually been working on getting my license (starting in The Netherlands) since January this year.
    As you can imagine I'm itching to get out there, especially since I have my chuugata coming up next week saturday at my driving school --> Wish me luck!

I am doing a 2 step program to get my big bike license, that allows me to get my medium license early.
    Surprisingly enough it was also 10.000円 cheaper than going straight for the big license, with 2 hours less (don't know why).
    In the end, the actual bike I am looking to get is the MT-07, but that will have to wait until I finish, which I expect to be around the end of Feb 2018.

Now back on topic.
    Considering I can pick up a fun dualsport for commuting (+ possibly dropping ) and exploring the twisties here in Kyushu at around the 300.000 mark.
    Is it worth it, when I might sell it within about 3 months?

I am approaching it more as a long term 'rental' instead of actually renting a bike when I want to ride.
    Besides, if I own it there are no limits on usage.
    I believe the deprecation of the price will still be less than having to rent. It should be an acceptable loss right?
    For instance if I buy and sell at the same Red Baron, any indications how much I could lose?
    It could be positive for my relationship with the dealer upon buying the next bike I guess.

Or is the registration and insurance paperwork just too much of a hassle and I am better off waiting for a few more months (hard as it may be).

Your thoughts?

Tom

Default Buying 250 while continuing for Oogata?

You can never go wrong by having a smaller bike. Especially if you're itching to ride and you have your motorcycle endorsement on your Japanese lessons when you're ready to go.

I can't speak to that red Baron situation as an example I don't know how buyer seller friendly they are in a situation like that.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Buying a bike is never a common sense decision. Why try making it one?

If it isn't going to take food from the mouths of your children, don't overthink it.

Learning on a smaller bike has many advantages. You'll learn better and faster with the smaller bike. And who says you can't have more than one?

Ask the dealer what they estimate they could give you after 3 months of use, either as cash or a trade in. Subtract that from their out-the-door price (which will include all the paperwork). Decide whether you're willing to pay that for 3 months of riding. It will almost definitely be less than renting.

I am planning on the same thing!!! Taking the 400cc class now

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll just wait until I pass my chuugata, and then visit a few of the dealers around town.
    Still not sure if I will do it, most likely depends if I can find anything that suits my fancy for a good price.

@Mike
    Being single and an engineer means I've got some options

@Tora
    Haven't thought about that yet, im open to the possibility to keep both if the costs are not too much.

@arber
    Thanks, I'll make sure to do that. Most likely will have to get my Japanese buddy to come along to help with translating!

Did you get your licenses?

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    Did you get your licenses?
    I got my Chuugata first try.
    Starting with my Oogata this week after the X-mas break.
    Seeing as it is only 12 hours, I hope to finish half/late February (depends on work mostly)

Keep you posted!

soon, next test is today... Fell off the iponbashi

Quote Originally Posted by NYRUSSELL View Post
    soon, next test is today... Fell off the iponbashi
    You probably already know this, but ... look at a point in the distance where you want to go. Clamp the tank between your knees. Keep your elbows bent and your grip on the bars relaxed. Turn the bars to balance the bike, and keep your body upright. Drag the back brake to slow the bike, and feather the clutch to keep it from going too fast.