Thread: Bike trailer

Default Bike trailer

Hi,
    does anyone have experience importing a bike trailer for the car to Japan? Am thinking of having a motolug shipped here from UK but dont know if there are any things i need to consider with regards to registration or local restrictions, etc.
    any help/thiughts appeciated.

C

Default Bike trailer

I don't know about importing a trailer, however trailers here even small ones are registered the same as a kei car so you have the Shaken and such...
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

If the combined weight of trailer and cargo is 750kg or more you will have to have a trailer endorsement on your license.

When driving on the expressway, the toll rate goes up to that of the next higher class of vehicle than you are pulling it with and your speed limit goes down to 80kmh.

Thanks for reaponses. Habe either of you gone through the process of registering a trailer and have some advice on how easy/diffifult it is to get a shaken for an imported trailer? Trailer weighs 80kg amd bike weighs 120kg so i should be comfortably below then 750kg limit .

No experience but I can't imagine it would be difficult. There isn't all that much to inspect on a trailer.

What's so special about the motolug that makes it worth importing rather than just buying a trailer that's already here?

The registration/shaken , jibaiseki, and whatnot will run you about 13,000 yen every two years, by the way.

The motolug is very compact so you can easily store it when you dont need it, but more importantly its only about 100k yen plus 50k for shipping and import tax. The cheapest trailer i saw in japan on a website was 220k. If you know where i can get a cheap local trailer that may be easier to register etc. that might be prederable. It does need to be foldable or compact though as i dont have tons of parking space. Thanks