Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: So I made a call to find out about testing for my license

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    263

    Default So I made a call to find out about testing for my license

    Didn't know this stuff.
    1. got to make reservations for the test
    2. got to take a written test first, if I past, then allowed to take the test on the motorcycle
    3. cost is 2950 for the skill test and 1550 yen for the insurance
    4. need photo
    5. bring own helment

    Well tomorrow I'll call to make reservations for next week.

    I bought the "Rules of the Road" book by Japan Automobile Federation. Any tips what I really should focus on? Also how many question do you think there will be on the written test?
    Here is the pictures of the test sight. Need suggestions on what to expect. Please.
    Also, if I pass, then do I have to pay for a new license?

    Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 007.JPG   006.JPG   005.JPG  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,510

    Default

    Don't you already have a car license?

    Did you mean 1550 yen for "issuance" of the licence? I've never heard of them charging "insurance".

  3. #3

    Default So I made a call to find out about testing for my license

    Go on YouTube. For example,
    https://youtu.be/IRDayfpjAbQ
    https://youtu.be/I_M2_fRxEEE
    https://youtu.be/IfumLoyh4oc
    The circuit will be set on the day. Be later rather than earlier, rehearse the map, watch the other riders (almost all will have learnt each circuit in school). Do not cross white lines with any part of bike. Watch which foot up and down and when. Rehearse bridge / rail crossings. The driving test is quite complex, many need several tries. Exaggerate your movements, especially looking. Listen for the key phrases they will radio to you, for speed up, turns, etc. and after they give feedback.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Don't you already have a car license?

    Did you mean 1550 yen for "issuance" of the licence? I've never heard of them charging "insurance".
    Yes, I have car license. But they require a written test now also, at lest in Yamaguchi-ken they do. My friend made the call in Japanese and I got a print out of it also.
    I believe this is the page with in the information on it. http://www.police.pref.yamaguchi.jp/koutsu/menkyo1.html
    The insurance money is for the bike incase I damage it while on the course.
    I hope that link is the right one, its in Japanese.

    Also I thought they supply the helmets , guess not, maybe everything is done on a loud speaker.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBiker View Post
    Go on YouTube. For example,
    https://youtu.be/IRDayfpjAbQ
    https://youtu.be/I_M2_fRxEEE
    https://youtu.be/IfumLoyh4oc
    The circuit will be set on the day. Be later rather than earlier, rehearse the map, watch the other riders (almost all will have learnt each circuit in school). Do not cross white lines with any part of bike. Watch which foot up and down and when. Rehearse bridge / rail crossings. The driving test is quite complex, many need several tries. Exaggerate your movements, especially looking. Listen for the key phrases they will radio to you, for speed up, turns, etc. and after they give feedback.

    Thanks Bans
    I'll be watching them videos. Did them 3 pictures of the course make sense to you? Not sure of the meaning of it, but I'm going to at least give it a try and remember my mistakes for any future test which I'm sure will be the case.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    Yes, I have car license. But they require a written test now also, at lest in Yamaguchi-ken they do. My friend made the call in Japanese and I got a print out of it also.
    I believe this is the page with in the information on it. http://www.police.pref.yamaguchi.jp/koutsu/menkyo1.html
    The insurance money is for the bike incase I damage it while on the course.
    I hope that link is the right one, its in Japanese.

    Also I thought they supply the helmets , guess not, maybe everything is done on a loud speaker.
    That's a bike usage fee, not insurance.

    I just got off the phone with the Yamaguchi Pref. license center. If you already have a valid Japanese car licence you don't have to take a written test. You either misunderstood or your friend did.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    That's a bike usage fee, not insurance.

    I just got off the phone with the Yamaguchi Pref. license center. If you already have a valid Japanese car licence you don't have to take a written test. You either misunderstood or your friend did.
    Mike, thank you very much.
    So the above was correct then for the course test and the usage fee?

    Did those 3 course maps I post make any sense to you? Should I go there early in the morning and watch the people do the course? Not sure if I'm allowed too though.
    again,thanks for the help

  8. #8

    Default So I made a call to find out about testing for my license

    Course maps are correct. And typical across the country. Go and watch some day before your test if you can. If too far, try and watch at a driving school, especially if from high ground (bridge, window).
    And yes, the bike itself has lights and loudspeaker connected to them by radio. They watch usually from a control tower

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,510

    Default

    It's also another couple of thousand yen and pocket change for the license issuance fee if/when you pass. So make sure to have that with you every time you go.

    You know, you've had those photos on hand since last July. It would be nice if you had put a little thought and effort into learning the courses at some point during the last four months instead of waiting until the last minute.

    http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...207#post160207
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 07-12-17 at 06:43 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    It's also another couple of thousand yen and pocket change for the license issuance fee if/when you pass. So make sure to have that with you every time you go.

    You know, you've had those photos on hand since last July. It would be nice if you had put a little thought and effort into learning the courses at some point during the last four months instead of waiting until the last minute.

    http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...207#post160207
    Yeah, I wondered if I'd have to pay for the new license. I'll have over 10000 yen on me so I 'll be fine.
    I've been to licensing place several times and had permission to go upstairs and see the track, but no one was being tested both times, 3 times. Tomorrow if the weather isn't raining I'll head over there in person and get reservations and also hope someone is being tested , maybe a couple will be tested, its Friday and I know they test on Friday. I think the license is around 4400 yen.

  11. #11

    Default So I made a call to find out about testing for my license

    Usually they start testing first thing, as most folks come early.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Just looked it up—that book is available in quite a large number of digital formats, and a few languages too.

    http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/road.htm

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Just looked it up—that book is available in quite a large number of digital formats, and a few languages too.

    http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/road.htm
    He doesn't need it; he doesn't have to take a written test.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    He doesn't need it; he doesn't have to take a written test.

    For sure, I mean he said that he already bought it, but for future people that read this thread the link would be handy. ;)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    19

    Default Useful link indeed!

    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    for future people that read this thread the link would be handy. ;)
    Last time I checked it was out of stock and I couldn't find time to go to JAF Office.
    But stock is back now so I just bought it. Thank you ToraTora for the reminder!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kitakyushu
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    He doesn't need it; he doesn't have to take a written test.
    The book was crucial in helping me understand the traffic rules to the point where I could pass the practical. I do recommend reading it carefully regardless of whether or not you need to take the written exam.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    The book was crucial in helping me understand the traffic rules to the point where I could pass the practical. I do recommend reading it carefully regardless of whether or not you need to take the written exam.
    Good point.

    I do hope he sets aside some time to memorize those courses.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Well I called the center today for reservations for next week. The weather was windy, cold and some rain in the air and that cancelled my plans to ride to the center on scooter. So the call didn't go so well due to the other person at the center speaking , his English was about like my Japanese, so nothing materialized today. Next week, weather permitting I'll go in person to make the appointment. My friend that made the call the other day, just can not speak English and google translate on the smart phone didn't work out too well. OK, I'll keep you guys posted. That's it for now, and I'm going to review the book and go over the 3 courses, I'll probably have questions about the courses.
    Thanks guys.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    The book was crucial in helping me understand the traffic rules to the point where I could pass the practical. I do recommend reading it carefully regardless of whether or not you need to take the written exam.

    Thanks Dale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •