Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Taxes?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,954

    Default Taxes?

    So here's a question for you... well any foreigner really ..( non military )
    So you live here and you work here or maybe you retired here. Do you pay taxes in the country you came from? If you have no property,bank or ties do that country? Yes, No? And why?
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Yamaguchi-ken N. of Shimonoseki
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    So here's a question for you... well any foreigner really ..( non military )
    So you live here and you work here or maybe you retired here. Do you pay taxes in the country you came from? If you have no property,bank or ties do that country? Yes, No? And why?
    This will help you.
    http://premieroffshore.com/foreign-e...sion-for-2017/

    If you earn more than that and US citizen, then yes, and you still have the Japanese income tax to pay also. Luckily my income since coming to Japan never exceed the foreign -earned -income-exclusion. If you earn less than that, just file the simple forum. I never included no deductions since it wasn't really beneficial to do so.
    I did my tax work myself. You download all the forms from the IRS govt page. I think I had 3 forms to fill out. Also, if you have more then 10000 bucks in the bank, I believe you have to declare that on a form. Best to do it. :)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,954

    Default Taxes?

    Not really an answer to my thread but I'm sure it's useful for some.
    More interested in what folks do .
    As I'm a PR here and pay taxes here was curious to what and how others deal with it IF at all
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    So here's a question for you... well any foreigner really ..( non military )
    So you live here and you work here or maybe you retired here. Do you pay taxes in the country you came from? If you have no property,bank or ties do that country? Yes, No? And why?
    Non military, non US citizen here.
    I don't pay any taxes in my home country because I don't have any income or assets there. Otherwise I would be legally entitled to do so (depending on the amount of course).
    I still have bank accounts with money there, just sleeping though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    What day is it?
    Posts
    130

    Default

    No taxes in Canada. Japan has tax treaties with most major economies (expect US). Unless I declare ownership in property or other income in Canada I am not eligible. Japan allows expats up to 5 years of living in Japan before they need to declare "global income". Which means someone here under 5 years (that's 5 in the last 10, btw) may pay taxes in another country (not just their home country) but after 5 years the Japanese system should take over due to treaty.

    That's just a high-level as I understand it, though high likelihood I am wrong and might go to jail for evasion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Kamagaya-city
    Posts
    27

    Default Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higekun View Post
    Non military, non US citizen here.
    I don't pay any taxes in my home country because I don't have any income or assets there. Otherwise I would be legally entitled to do so (depending on the amount of course).
    I still have bank accounts with money there, just sleeping though.
    I'm like you, just a bank account in my previous country of residence. Although I am still payed by that country, I am self employed in Japan, and my earnings are form my last country if residence, I don't pay any taxes in that country. I will have to declare my earnings here in Japan. I do pay tax on the interest earned on my savings.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Best to enter a corner slow and exit fast, than enter fast and exit Dead.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yokosuka
    Posts
    210

    Default

    I pay 10% flat tax in Australia on the modest bit of interest my bank account accrues despite it being below the taxable income threshold.
    Australia government is tough on it citizens living aboard. Need to return home to get any pension in latest changes coming in which will hit lots of guys in SE Asia.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kawasaki
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I pay 10% flat tax in Australia on the modest bit of interest my bank account accrues despite it being below the taxable income threshold.
    Australia government is tough on it citizens living aboard. Need to return home to get any pension in latest changes coming in which will hit lots of guys in SE Asia.
    What are those pension changes? Where are they mentioned? There has been an Oz / Japan agreement, but I guess that's changing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yokosuka
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oi oi oi View Post
    What are those pension changes? Where are they mentioned? There has been an Oz / Japan agreement, but I guess that's changing.
    The changes proposed by Turnbull government I saw on the ABC news.
    Jap/Aus have an agreement which I hope holds as it is rather special.
    Elsewhere people have to return to Australia at eligible age and live in the country two years - that was a Gillard government policy from memory.
    Turnbull policy will require people to return to Australia every 6 months to keep their pension.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •