Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an American style pickup

Default Buying an American style pickup

The Japanese make them but I have problems finding them. No luck with the dealers.

I'm looking for something to carry the bike to the track. Nothing fancy but will buy new.

Any links, info, whatever, is appreciated.

Thank you guys.
    CRF250

Have you searched for like a Chevrolet dealer because there are a few of them in Japan exactly where I'm not sure we can get an American pick up
    I'd say Ford but they closed all their dealers in Japan so unfortunately that would be out of the question. Or you could go to one of the Toyota dealers and tell them you want the Toyota tundra which is the full-size pick up
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Have you searched for like a Chevrolet dealer because there are a few of them in Japan exactly where I'm not sure we can get an American pick up
    I'd say Ford but they closed all their dealers in Japan so unfortunately that would be out of the question. Or you could go to one of the Toyota dealers and tell them you want the Toyota tundra which is the full-size pick up
    Thank you, my friend. It didn't even occur to me. There are no less than 3 in the area.

Now let's see if they sell them with the proper steering wheel.
    CRF250

That was quick. No pickups.
    CRF250

You want a Kei-truck. Those white delivery vehicles you see everywhere with the fold-down sides.

I've never seen a US-style pickup truck here but trucks in many forms certainly exist. A mid-size kei will easily carry bike + accessories. They depreciate fast which means you should be able to get a used one really cheap.

You can also rent from pretty much anyone like Nippon rent-a-car for surprisingly low rates. Unless you need it every weekend it's probably (much) cheaper to rent when needed. All you need to own and store is the ramp and tiedowns.

I've thought about the kei's but some tracks are far off and I want a proper vehicle.

Next time I go to the MX course, I'll ask those folks. I've seen a few pickups among the vans.

I guess the ones around must be imports... which means the steering wheel will be off, anyone knows how much of a bother that is?
    CRF250

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    That was quick. No pickups.
    That's pretty amazing.
    Maybe because of the way things are in Japan maybe they have their dealers separated from like passenger cars and then big vans and trucks and maybe those are separate dealers. I'm not sure but the way things work in Japan that would not surprise me.
    Life begins at 155mph

Most guys go with your average HI-Ace which is better than a pickup in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Most guys go with your average HI-Ace which is better than a pickup in many ways.

I have thought about that a lot, actually.

Anyone here owns one of those? How are they like? I've been told they are not that comfortable (compared to a car).
    CRF250

Ive had the Mazda Proceed pickup, which was great pulled really well in 4X4, Highlux is good too, both good sized. If you are set on a US truck try Yanase they have plenty, all set to go.
    Forget Toyota Tundra, full size Dodge's etc, ramping a bike up to that deck height is just not worth it, plus parking in Jpn will throw you a headache somewhere, sometime.
    Function / Van, convenient comfortable, keeps your junk safe & dry ;)

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    I've been told they are not that comfortable (compared to a car).
    Of course they're not as comfortable as a car. It's a utility vehicle. I've never owned one, but I've ridden in plenty as a passenger and I can't see that they would be any less comfortable than your average 1/2 ton pickup. Go for a test drive and see for yourself. Also, could probably replace the seat with something more comfortable with the money you save by going with something cheap and domestic rather than something expensive and imported.

The Hi-Ace is a great vehicle great fir hauling the bike or camping the back is fairly low. I've seen some that have a ramp storage/attachment on them already also.
    As to comfort I think you'll find it fine . But keep in mind a couple things if your looking at NEW they are pricey. And the Shaken is more often than a car and more expensive and your yearly tax isn't cheap either. So just keep that in mind.
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by wrk2ride_ride2wrk View Post
    Ive had the Mazda Proceed pickup, which was great pulled really well in 4X4, Highlux is good too, both good sized. If you are set on a US truck try Yanase they have plenty, all set to go.
    Forget Toyota Tundra, full size Dodge's etc, ramping a bike up to that deck height is just not worth it, plus parking in Jpn will throw you a headache somewhere, sometime.
    Function / Van, convenient comfortable, keeps your junk safe & dry ;)
    The Hilux looks great for what I need. Thanks for the leads.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Of course they're not as comfortable as a car. It's a utility vehicle. I've never owned one, but I've ridden in plenty as a passenger and I can't see that they would be any less comfortable than your average 1/2 ton pickup. Go for a test drive and see for yourself. Also, could probably replace the seat with something more comfortable with the money you save by going with something cheap and domestic rather than something expensive and imported.
    Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    The Hi-Ace is a great vehicle great fir hauling the bike or camping the back is fairly low. I've seen some that have a ramp storage/attachment on them already also.
    As to comfort I think you'll find it fine . But keep in mind a couple things if your looking at NEW they are pricey. And the Shaken is more often than a car and more expensive and your yearly tax isn't cheap either. So just keep that in mind.
    And that was quick too. The wife said 'nope' to the Hi-Ace. We had a van in the States, and she liked it, but apparently does not feel like driving one around here.
    CRF250

The hi ace is big and the roads are smaller lol the Helix is the 4-runner in the states nice vehicle. But not really a bike hauler
    Life begins at 155mph

http://www.mazda.co.jp/cars/bongo-truck/feature/

http://toyota.jp/dynacargo/

There are others from other makers as well. No, they don't look like American style pickup trucks.

People in America who seldom if ever need the cargo hauling capability of a truck will still own and drive one as personal transportation, strictly as a matter of personal style preference.

People in Japan who don't have an ongoing need for cargo hauling capacity practically never own a truck as personal transportation or keep one for the very few times a year they might have a real need for one.

I suspect the answer lies largely in the costs of owning one making truck ownership cost prohibitive. Have you looked at what the vehicle tax, weight tax, jibaiseki, and 3rd party insurance will run you? Plus the cost of shaken, which is only good for one year? People jam their bikes onto a kei because it is just ridiculously cheaper to do so.

You'd probably be better of just renting a truck the few days you will actually be using it, or purchasing a trailer and pulling your bike on that instead. A kei van and trailer combination might be a nice compromise.
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 23-12-17 at 07:34 PM.

Mike has a valid point.
    I've had big vans here in the past pricey for sure.
    This year bought a new Suzuki Every van the " join" model with the extended roof and extra goodies 1,200,000 out the door Shaken every 2 years yearly tax 5,000 and not only do the seats go flat I can haul a bike in the back or both my daughters race bikes.
    I've also used it as a camp van. Drove it from Kyoto to Motegi this year front seats comfortable!!!.
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    http://www.mazda.co.jp/cars/bongo-truck/feature/

http://toyota.jp/dynacargo/

There are others from other makers as well. No, they don't look like American style pickup trucks.

People in America who seldom if ever need the cargo hailing capability of a truck will still own and drive one as personal transportation, strictly as a matter of personal style preference.

People in Japan who don't have an ongoing need for cargo hauling capacity practically never own a truck as personal transportation or keep one for the very few times a year they might have a real need for one.

I suspect the answer lies largely in the costs of owning one making truck ownership cost prohibitive. Have you looked at what the vehicle tax, weight tax, jibaiseki, and 3rd party insurance will run you? Plus the cost of shaken, which is only good for one year? People jam their bikes onto a kei because it is just ridiculously cheaper to do so.

You'd probably be better of just renting a truck the few days you will actually be using it, or purchasing a trailer and puking your bike on that instead. A kei van and trailer combination might be a nice compromise.
    Ouch.

Nope. I had not thought about it. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.
    CRF250

I've been trying to convince my wife that a kei truck is a good idea, but she can't get past the comfort factor. The kei car plus trailer suggestion does sound like a good compromise. I hardly ever see trailers here though (Kanto), I'm guessing because of the extra storage space required? I guess if it was small enough, it might fit in a regular parking bay with the car though.

I was anti kei cars for years. I get it and I had the same beef but newer kei's and not all but baby are quite comfortable up front and honestly that's all that matters, from the comfort point of view.
    Just another point of interest in the "kei" world.
    Kei trucks are the absolute worst fir comfort. A kei van can be quite comfortable but not true of all vehicles. Now if your considering Kei + trailer then look w/ Honda N box plus roomy and comfortable or something like that. My van is quite comfortable and spacious as mentioned earlier.
    Look I'd prefer a large van but when weighing use/cost/ tax etc... the larger kei van made much more sense both economically and for usefulness in the overall.
    Last edited by racer162; 24-12-17 at 08:41 AM.
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by arber View Post
    I've been trying to convince my wife that a kei truck is a good idea, but she can't get past the comfort factor. The kei car plus trailer suggestion does sound like a good compromise. I hardly ever see trailers here though (Kanto), I'm guessing because of the extra storage space required? I guess if it was small enough, it might fit in a regular parking bay with the car though.
    This came up in another thread about two weeks ago.

There are trailers which are designed to fold and then be rotated to sit upright in order to minimize their parking space footprint.

http://www.sea-marine.com/trailer/sonota/ymt34f.html

A kei van would provide a bit more space and comfort than a kei truck if pacifying the spousal unit is a factor. There is also the alternative of the kei truck with a slightly extended cab (with a correspondingly slightly shorter cargo bed). The seats have a wee bit more leg room and can recline a bit.

https://www.daihatsu.co.jp/lineup/tr...special_01.htm

There is also the Daihatsu deck van, a vehicle I've always wanted but never been able to explain to myself why:

https://www.daihatsu.co.jp/lineup/ha...kvan/index.htm

Both are available used, of course.