Thread: Integrated taillight

Default Integrated taillight

Just wondering if anyone knows if itís legal to have integrated taillight in Japan? Iím planning on doing a tail tidy on my Ducati Monster. Will the cops cause me grief over that? And also when it comes to Shaken time, will it pass? I tried googling it, but didnít have any luck finding the information I need!
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spend the bulk of my waking hours on Japan's roadways and can't say I can recall ever having seen even one bike with integrated taillights. I even had to go Google "integrated taillights" just to find out what they even are. I've never noticed them for sale in shops here either. Neither of those observations should be considered as more than anecdotes which prove nothing at all, though.

Googling reveals that they are called ウインカー統合機能テールライト and that i can't find a single business in Japan that sells them or manufactures them; everything is listed as imports from overseas and midst results are from ads spammed into irrelevant and/or defunct sites.

Normally curiosity would lead me to skim through the relevant laws looking for a definitive answer, but I feel certain enough they're not allowed due to their conspicuous absence and there are so many relevant statutes that I'm not going to bother.

Here's a list of the statutes which pertain to turn signals if you care to read them all looking for a loophole:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 645ECB6A-1AB4-493D-BEF2-2E74EDFF3989.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 27-12-17 at 01:17 AM.

By the way, illegal modifications are punishable by a maximum potential penalty of up to six months in prison and/or up to a 300,000 yen fine.

http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/anzen/...penalties.html

There are no points against your license or traffic fine, because it is treated as a matter of criminal law.

Default Integrated taillight

Thank you for the reply! Well I guess I will keep my stock taillight and do the tail tidy around it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're very welcome.

A little further checking reveals that motorcycle turn signals must be separated by at least 250mm in the front and by at least 150mm in the rear. If you can find a unit that has the turn signal illumination separated by 150mm or more that may pass muster.

https://www.up-syaken.com/custom.html

Ive been pulled over and ticketed for speeding with hidden tail lights in my rear fairings, a super tucked away tidy tail license plate kit, and loud termigoni exhaust and they didnt say anything about them. I also just purchased a integrated taillight for my hypermotard and a tidy tail kit and i dont expect any problems. Maybe the only way youll get some shit from the police on those things if your unlucky enough to go through those random check point stops that they do for illegal exhaust. Usually they are done around izu skyline and they do it for traffic safety month in summer time. I cant remember the exact month maybe May. Its a pain in the ass to revert everything back to stock every time your shaken is due though. So you might want to think about mods that you wont have to change for shaken. With the intergrated tail light, i dont have to change the whole thing, i have quick connectors on the blinker wires so i just unhook them and when i install the stock rear tail i just hook up the stock blinkers. Exhaust and license plate are the biggest PITAS.

I have an integrated taillight on both bikes but still run stock winkers too. Had originally run just the tailight but put the winkers back on for shaken and they just stayed. Like the idea of the extra visibility I guess.
    As Saiken mentioned above, they generally have quick connectors for the winkers so not a big deal to revert it to a standard lailight for shaken.
    With or without the standard winkers, I've never had trouble while out riding. But as Mike noted, 150mm between winkers is the law(thought it 180 for some reason thanks for the heads up).
    IBA33490

Touge Express