Thread: Shaken, Insurance, & Licensing Questions

Default Shaken, Insurance, & Licensing Questions

I'll be moving to the Aichi Prefecture on work assignment in 6 months and need to clear up some questions I have regarding buying a bike, cost of Insurance, and licensing myself.

1. The Shaken
    I'm familiar with stories of people selling cars or parting them out because engines had to be replaced ever 50,000km.
    However, I am unsure if this practice also applies to motorcycles.

For example, if I bought a bike with 45,000km on it, Id only have 5000km left of use out of it.

2. Collision Insurance [Not Comprehensive]
    Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate what the additional Liability/Collision insurance would run on a 2012 Honda CBR1000RR in Japan? [Assume 2 year plan]

3. Licensing
    I am endorsed here in the States and understand I can transform my US endorsment to allow me to ride <400cc bikes.
    However, for the Unlimited CC license is it as simple as paying the 200,000Y for a class or is it much more involved for the advanced license?

Thanks for any and all support guys.
    I'm hoping to continue my love of riding while I'm over there.
    It'll certainly help smooth my transition to Japanese life.

-Alex
    Current Rides | 2012 Honda CBR1000RR | 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar | 2005 Yamaha YZ250 |

Shaken / engine life: most used bikes have low mileage, unless they are also quite old. Just go with lower mileage (kilometerage?). Consider buying bike with at least 1 year if Shaken left, then you can sell with some Shaken remaining.
    Insurance: there is an English website somewhere that does quotes.

I've never heard stories about engines being worn out at 50,000km on cars. Sounds like bullshit to me. It used to be the case that people considered kei cars worn out at 60,000km....but that was a quarter-century ago and they are built much better and hold up much better now. (I've put over 1.1 million kilometers on the truck I drive at work).

I think you will find that there is an inverse relation between bike displacement and mileage on the odometer. People who buy small bikes tend to ride them much more frequently....commuting to work or school....and they run up the clock. People who buy larger bikes tend to ride them infrequently and for not terribly great distances when they do take them out. It isn't unusual to see large bikes that guys have had for a decade and which still have under 25,000km....some well under that.

Quote Originally Posted by Unenthuzed View Post
    1. The Shaken
    I'm familiar with stories of people selling cars or parting them out because engines had to be replaced ever 50,000km.
    A kilometer limit is in no way part of the shaken process. That's either a leftover from 1962 or something run by a rather unscrupulous dealer. My first bike went 120,000km (to the amazement of the dealer) and it was replaced due to general wear and tear on pretty much everything *except* the engine.

There are plenty of vehicle vendors here (and everywhere else) that will cheerfully say things like "tires must be replaced every 2 years" rather than looking at the treads. And in Japan if you add "It is a rule" to the statement hardly anyone will question it. "Hardly anyone" includes most of us white guys who say "yeah, right" and Mike, who can tell them where to shove it in fluent Japanese.

@Mike: feel like writing a "useful phrases" page?

Yeah on your license if it does not have the original issue date on the license itself then get a letter from your local stateside DMV ( depending on the state) stating your original issue date. YOU WIL NEED THIS
    Transferring your license from the states will still require a 10 question written exam and a driving test but the M/C endorsement will transfer.

As to the Kilometer nonsense this is bunk. My DUcati that is my daily rider has better than 70k on it never a shaken issue. My wife's car has better than 120k flew thru shaken no issues.
    But if your not making this your home and you are on a short assignment id follow what was mentioned earlier and find a bike with a year left on the shaken and save yourself the hassle.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
    @Mike: feel like writing a "useful phrases" page?
    Beyond greetings and "Where is the bathroom?" I've never seen the value in learning phrases. Anyway, we can all see what a hotbed of inactivity the forum's Japanese Language section is. Anybody who wants to learn Japanese is doing it elsewhere. Anybody who isn't doing it elsewhere is hardly likely to be inspired to take it up by anything I might contribute. I annoy people enough as it is already.

Thats good to hear since that whole engine mileage limit seemed crazy to begin with...
    How long is the shaken good for after its been completed? My stint in Japan will be for 1.5 years.

Just checked my Michigan license and it has the issue date, so happy days! No need to worry about that.

Since Mike is being stingy with any gems he's got, i'll just stalk his previous posts. lol

Thanks everyone for clearing those items up.
    I'm starting to become excited about heading out there.
    I'll be there starting 7/1/17 and can't wait to sweat my ass off in that summer heat XP. I need to buy some perforated pants for those seasons.
    Current Rides | 2012 Honda CBR1000RR | 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar | 2005 Yamaha YZ250 |

Quote Originally Posted by Unenthuzed View Post
    Thats good to hear since that whole engine mileage limit seemed crazy to begin with...
    How long is the shaken good for after its been completed? My stint in Japan will be for 1.5 years.

Just checked my Michigan license and it has the issue date, so happy days! No need to worry about that.

Since Mike is being stingy with any gems he's got, i'll just stalk his previous posts. lol

Thanks everyone for clearing those items up.
    I'm starting to become excited about heading out there.
    I'll be there starting 7/1/17 and can't wait to sweat my ass off in that summer heat XP. I need to buy some perforated pants for those seasons.
    Well welcome and have fun! Shaken is good for 2 years.
    Good news on the license. The readers digest condensed version ( LOL)
    Go to a JAF office get license transferred, pay fee. Then the driving center paperwork more money. Then a short written test ( in English) come back another day take driving test, get license.
    Life begins at 155mph

2017? Er, you may have missed your flight

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBiker View Post
    2017? Er, you may have missed your flight
    He's on the other side of the International Date Line. You lose a year when traveling west.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    He's on the other side of the International Date Line. You lose a year when traveling west.
    I saw that too!

Dammit guys. lol

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Well welcome and have fun! Shaken is good for 2 years.
    Good news on the license. The readers digest condensed version ( LOL)
    Go to a JAF office get license transferred, pay fee. Then the driving center paperwork more money. Then a short written test ( in English) come back another day take driving test, get license.
    For some of us, it is "take driving test, get license," to be sure! For others, it was "take driving test, get failed for some wildly unrealistic and irrelevant reason, come back another day and take the test again. . ."!
    And although the 10-question written part is in ENGLISH, the "why you failed" part isn't. . .

Quote Originally Posted by NorthbyNW View Post
    For some of us, it is "take driving test, get license," to be sure! For others, it was "take driving test, get failed for some wildly unrealistic and irrelevant reason, come back another day and take the test again. . ."!
    And although the 10-question written part is in ENGLISH, the "why you failed" part isn't. . .
    Yes but he's from the states so both he must do😎
    Life begins at 155mph