Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian just accepted ALT job in japan

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by arber View Post
    That's a nice find. Is it a public car park or only for people in the building? I pay Y700 per day for a public one underneath an expressway.
    Shin Marunouchi Building, anyone can park there, I have parked in another building near by and that was the same price. But the Shin one is really close to Tokyo Station, that car park is 1 minute from Marunouchi line exit

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Wouldn't they know when you walk in with all your gear on? Do you have to pull a Clark Kent maneuver, and find a storage locker offsite for your gear?
    I've been riding to work almost daily for 6 years now even though it's specifically against company rules. I just walk right in with all my gear on and my helmet in hand, and no one's even considers saying anything. I was actually temporarily transferred to another region for 3 months, and my manager went out of her way to make arrangements to accommodate my motorcycle. They also now know that if they tried to tell me I couldn't ride, that I'd immediately start looking for another job.

Some of that comes from the fact that I've been with the company for 10 years now, so I have some ability to push for my way when necessary. However, this isn't the only company I've worked for in Japan that ignored rules in specific situations. In fact, if one of my coworkers started riding to work, it's very likely that they would immediately be told no, while I would be allowed to continue.

Similar story here - my blazing yellow rain jacket is well known in one particular office. They know perfectly well I ride to client locations because I don't meet anyone at the train station on the first day "in the employee guidebook appointed manner".

The scheduler has, in more than one case, called me asking about client location car parking for another employee. So the "no private vehicles" bit in the employee guidebook seems like liability protection rather than actual policy. They have happily paid the equivalent train fare for years.

No client has ever said anything other than "please use our dedicated motorbike parking area over there..."

One comment I did get from this company was they didn't think that one client had any parking, even for staff. This does happen. As the client was Honda, motorbike R+D facility in Saitama, I felt the absence of parking was incorrect. Honda had a 3-story underground garage with space for hundreds of bikes, but no cars. The entrance was easy to miss, the gate staff pointed it out and said use any available space in the matching class.

So, as has been said several times before: don't ask, don't flaunt it, don't try to convert the whole office, happy motoring.

And maybe don't go to Honda on a bright-green Kawasaki.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
    And maybe don't go to Honda on a bright-green Kawasaki.
    Or maybe do!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CreuAj7UAAAXY1x.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	12943

That looks more like a "Don't go to Showa on a Heisei"....

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    What's the deal in Japan if you have a 250 and you put a 300 top end on it?
    Unless you felt morally compelled to tell somebody, it's unlikely they would ever find out since the bike would never need to be inspected as a 250 and it's VIN# will always show what it was originally built as. There are a few off-road riders in this group that have installed 300cc kits on their 2 stroke KTM/Husqvarna bikes and haven't complained of suddenly having to go through shaken.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosting View Post
    Australian 26yr old moving to japan in a month or 2,
    afew quick questions
    1. are bike surfboard racks legal?
    2. do Australians need to do the tests for licence like the Americans (i have IDP already might be here more than a year)
    3. is it frowned upon if i commute to work on a bike as a teacher?
    4. are there places like our state forests in japan (state forests are places u can ride a dirt bike freely through large areas of bush as long as its registered)
    5. i'd like to do afew enduro races, i have an Aus race licence, u reckon they'll accept it at a local event? or will they want FIM or something?
    6. 300cc 2strokers street legal?, australia has really lax emissions laws so we get all the fun; can this continue in japan?
    7. does anyone ride a beta and willing to part? (rr300 or 390 will settle for 250)?
    8. if not please sell me a wr250f, ktm 250exc-f, husaberg, husky te250, sherco? klx250 will do in a pinch.
    9. where sells tyres/barkbusters/ replacement shit for when i innevitably break stuff on the trails.

10. make it a round number, who rides dirt and when can you show me some trails? - will repay in beers.
    If you are going to be living in or around Tokyo, check this group out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1700026790278183/

They have the local (and not so local) off road scene wired.

thanks for that link i joined the group and afew of the guys have been super helpful.