Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Starter Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Mersontheperson View Post
    As a newbie I am pretty scared to write on this forum as I always feel someone is going to tell me off....

Just my humble opinion (awaiting a tsunami disagreement)
    Alright, here it comes :)

I've never seen a case of "how do I ...." replied to in anything but matter-of-fact statements. Plenty are very direct and to-the-point - clarity is good.

Doing something that will get you into quite a bit of trouble, like driving without a proper license, sometimes does get a verbal spanking. Japan is not as flexible as many other countries and penalties can be much harsher. For example, in Canada I have 72 hours to produce a license. So leaving it at home is a non-issue. Drive home, get license, take to station, show desk staff -> all finished. Here, not having your license in your pocket is (apparently not) an arrestable offense*. There are also a lot of mis-interpretations such as riding a 50cc on a foreign car license.

So ask away. If a response sounds like it's a telling-off then the question is probably a very bad idea. No one wants to see you in jail for something easily avoidable, esp. as serious driving offenses can impact future visa renewals.

* @Mike: does one do time for leaving the menkyo at home, or is it just tea and biscuits at the koban?
    Last edited by rtfm; 26-04-18 at 05:29 PM.

Not having your license with you is a 3000 yen civil penalty, not a criminal fine (Japanese law distinguishes between the two as 反則金 and 罰金 and I've never known a good way to word it in English) and zero points against your license. If that is the ONLY thing they find fault with when they stop you, I can't imagine even a trip to the police box, much less getting arrested. I seriously doubt that's an arrestable citation anyway. Anything which can get you a red ticket is, though. Those are all violations of criminal law, with criminal penalties. Blue tickets are considered a matter of civic administrative policy.

I once had my truck break down in the right lane on Kan-nana during rush hour and, as luck would have it, had forgotten my wallet and had neither drivers license nor gaijin card with me. I got my boss to send a picture of the copy of my gaijin card the company has on file and the cops were able to radio in and check my license status. They let me off with a tongue-in-cheek "stern warning" right there on the scene and that was the end of that. They do have some degree of individual discretion they can exercise in many situations. They can just as easily find justification for rousting you and ruining your day as they can for being a sport and letting you off with a wink, so it's in your best interest to try to get on their good side early on and stay there throughout. I think a guy would really have to be trying to get arrested before he'd get pinched over not having his license with him, though.

3. Default

No mike I never accused anyone of being unkind or unhelpful. I am just giving you my honest opinion on how nervous I am on posting.

If you look at some of the replies to questions that appear to me to be quite innocuous, it might be that some are put off a little. But hey, just my opinion.

There is not much activity on here, I just am trying to think of ways of encouraging more people to post and trying to think of reasons why they don’t.
    Can’t wait to get on my bike this weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Do you not have a motorcycle license? If not, then please don't take the suggestion in your riding double thread about registering your bike as being over 50cc.
    not yet! I am going to start driving school after golden week. I don't have any confidence in my ability to pass the test without it..

Quote Originally Posted by holi View Post
    not yet! I am going to start driving school after golden week. I don't have any confidence in my ability to pass the test without it..
    Take a look at the thread I started about "How to Fail Your License Test" or something like that. You may find a couple of useful tips there. Do you have a Japanese automobile license? Or are you using an IDP?

Keep in mind that even after you get your bike license you can't carry a passenger for a year, even if you re-register your bike as being over 50cc.

Default Starter Bike

Quote Originally Posted by holi View Post
    Good luck, and enjoy.
    Remember, learning to drive / ride is relatively easy. The school is needed to pass the _exam_. That just makes sure you do things the way needed to pass the exam. Same as everywhere else.

To be a better driver /rider:
    Take your time. Build up skills. Then practice.
    When I started, my biker friend insisted I practiced full emergency braking, so I could do it when needed, and would survive it!
    If you already ride/drive, youíll have a lot of road sense, experience and skills.

Let us know how the school experience goes

7. Default

That’s the reason I bought a 50cc, I just want to get good at it, rather than find the best way to pass the test.

Holi- you do sound a little bit crazy!!! Good luck with your test ��