Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

Thread: Starter Bike

  1. Default

    It’s the full cost of ownership Mike, not just the initial outlay. I could buy a hunk of junk for 100,000 and it will cost a lot of money to make it/keep it running. Or I could spend 2-300,000 and then sell the bike for not much less than I bought it.
    Looking at the new prices for these bikes and what they are now selling for, and the rarity of them in Tokyo, seems to suggest it’s best to get the best example I can find. Just my opinion and I may learn an expensive lesson!!

    Checking those links now Tora, thanks!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    If you come up to Gunma I'll spend a few hours letting you ride my son's 250 around my company's parking lot on a Sunday. In an hour you'll be wondering why you ever thought about spending a few months practicing it.

    Seriously, that's exactly what I did with my son. He started driving school, wasn't getting the hang of shifting (teacher sucked), and I brought him to practice on my NC700. We went home an hour or two later and that was the last I ever heard about having trouble shifting.

    I'm all for anybody having any bike that appeals to them, regardless of the size. Even if you had a large bike license and got one of these 300k 50cc bikes because you just love it and that's what you wanted all along, I'd totally get that.

    I just wish somebody would loan you a bike and coach you for an hour or two before you buy a bike to practice gear shifting on and then decide if that's the course you want to take or not. Hey, I'm volunteering if nobody else is. Only caveat is that I'm in Gunma.

  3. Default

    Thanks Mike really appreciate your advice and kindness. Gunma might be a bit of a stretch for me to get to. I think I will go for that little Honda or something similar, it will be fun

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kitakyushu
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    I know we've been trained to perceive the value of a bike based on the displacement. The marketing departments of the manufacturers have drilled this into us for many decades. But it's really kind of a false way to judge bikes.
    I don't think that's what Mike is suggesting at all. He's saying that buying a bike just to avoid going to a school doesn't make sense. Even after learning how to shift, he'll still have to pay out to take the test, and then pay out to take the safety course, keeping in mind that the safety course means going to a school anyway.

    Espcially for a medium or small displacement license, a school is, by far, the best option since it's all inclusive and means you don't have to deal with paying to retake the test every time you fail, and you don't have to worry about trying to find an opening for the safety course at a school that will allow unregistered students to join it.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Starter Bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Mersontheperson View Post
    Thanks Mike really appreciate your advice and kindness. Gunma might be a bit of a stretch for me to get to. I think I will go for that little Honda or something similar, it will be fun
    Well if you want to buy a little beater to learn on and run around town. I bought a little 125cc just for that purpose, but I never got around to putting it in my name or putting it on the road and I'd be willing to sell it for what I bought it for which is •35,000 if you want something to just learn on in don't care if you dump it.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  6. Default

    Well my little girl has arrived, unfortunately I got home just before 5 yesterday so was not able to get to the ward office and get the plates. So will have wait until Friday when I am back from Hong Kong.
    Driver her around my parking area in a few circles, and I was surprised how different it felt from the cub. Really does feel like a small motorcycle rather than a moped with gears (not sure if that makes any sense, but it does to me!)

    Here she is
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94B7B6C6-B136-4AAA-9ACF-E6B71D9E65D8.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	341.2 KB 
ID:	12972

  7. Default

    I need to work out how to reframe these !!

  8. #48

    Default

    Congrats, that's a nice looking bike.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    U.S., sometimes Adachi-ku
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Nice! Looks like it's in great shape.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Starter Bike

    Yeah the CB50 looks really nice.
    Hope you get yourself a good deal on it and that it all works out really well for you.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    If you come up to Gunma I'll spend a few hours letting you ride my son's 250 around my company's parking lot on a Sunday. In an hour you'll be wondering why you ever thought about spending a few months practicing it.

    Seriously, that's exactly what I did with my son. He started driving school, wasn't getting the hang of shifting (teacher sucked), and I brought him to practice on my NC700. We went home an hour or two later and that was the last I ever heard about having trouble shifting.

    I'm all for anybody having any bike that appeals to them, regardless of the size. Even if you had a large bike license and got one of these 300k 50cc bikes because you just love it and that's what you wanted all along, I'd totally get that.

    I just wish somebody would loan you a bike and coach you for an hour or two before you buy a bike to practice gear shifting on and then decide if that's the course you want to take or not. Hey, I'm volunteering if nobody else is. Only caveat is that I'm in Gunma.
    it took me 3-4 hours to learn how to ride from scratch. The shop I bought the bike from was super helpful and they just sat around giving me pointers and following me around on their bicycles.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holi View Post
    it took me 3-4 hours to learn how to ride from scratch. The shop I bought the bike from was super helpful and they just sat around giving me pointers and following me around on their bicycles.

    Do you not have a motorcycle license? If not, then please don't take the suggestion in your riding double thread about registering your bike as being over 50cc.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Starter Bike

    Mike is so correct on that one.
    If you have no motorcycle license and only a car license and you make sure you register it as a 50 cc and you can ride it legally if you register it as anything above a 50cc you need to get a bike license.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  14. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    If you have no motorcycle license and only a car license...
    Y'know, he's never mentioned a license at all.

    @holi: Do you have a Japanese driver's license?

    Note that you can **NOT** ride a 50cc bike on a foreign license + international permit. An IDP lets you drive what you can drive back home, not what the equivalent license here allows.

    If you do not have a Japanese drivers license, leave it parked somewhere off of public roads, go to the Samezu license centre and get yours converted.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    And even if you do get a bike license, you can't carry a passenger for a year anyway.

  16. Default

    Not sure where this thread is going but I ha e a Japanese car license so am happy riding my little 50 for now. ��

    Maybe I am getting old but it didn’t feel at all natural using the clutch and both feet, the gears different to the cub, struggling to find neutral etc. so I am pretty sure it will take me longer than three hours to get very comfortable. He great thing about the 50 is just how easy it is to park and getting through traffic is almost as easy as on a bicycle.

    I assume you turn the fuel off every time you switch off the bike, even if it’s just for a minute or two, right?

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    No. The fuel cock can be left in the normal position. If you run out of gas, switch it to Reserve but absolutely DO NOT FORGET to switch it back to the regular position as soon as you gas up....or the next time you run out of gas you will really and truly be out of gas.

  18. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mersontheperson View Post
    Not sure where this thread is going but I have a Japanese car license so am happy riding my little 50 for now.
    We were referring to the other guy who said "it took me 3-4 hours to learn how to ride from scratch" and elsewhere asked about taking a passenger on a 50cc.

  19. Default

    As a newbie I am pretty scared to write on this forum as I always feel someone is going to tell me off, shout me down, talk to me like I am a naughty school boy, or basically just act as the morality police.

    Maybe Ust just my own insecurity, but I do feel that quite often new posters may be a bit intimidated on here

    Just my humble opinion (awaiting a tsunami disagreement) ��

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    Have we been unkind or unhelpful to you?

    I asked holi the question about the license only to try to make sure he isn't doing anything that can get him in trouble with the police.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •