Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HANZAI: True Crime Stories from Japan

Default HANZAI: True Crime Stories from Japan

I hope I may be forgiven for plugging a vanity project here, but I have recently taken it upon myself to create a podcast focusing on historical true crime cases and sporadic brief coverage of crime-related news stories from Japan.

I have long had an interest in criminal justice matters, consume a large amount of true crime podcsts myself, and have for many years done quite a bit of reading of Japanese books on all aspects of the Japanese criminal justice system. I hope I can turn out a show that listeners will find worthy of their time.

I'm just getting started and very much still learning how to do it. Advice, feedback, and suggestions would be most appreciated. If you think it worthwhile, tell a friend.

Available on Apple Podcast, Stitcher, PodBean, SoundCloud and some other podcast directories as well.

Cool

Very cool Mike. I subscribed, and listened to the first one last night. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Very cool Mike. I subscribed, and listened to the first one last night. :)
    Thanks very much.

Sounds interesting. Crime anywhere has its stories, but Japan with a relatively low crime rate, and some odd crimes, stands out from what is usual in the West.

I'm not much of a podcast listener though. You should write it up for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by oi oi oi View Post
    Sounds interesting. Crime anywhere has its stories, but Japan with a relatively low crime rate, and some odd crimes, stands out from what is usual in the West.

I'm not much of a podcast listener though. You should write it up for a book.
    I can easily edit amassed scripts into book form at some later date.

Great side project Mike. I'll check out the podcast when I have a free moment.
    Especially of interest to me personally is anything related to the language - unique vocabulary that one might not otherwise come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedin View Post
    Great side project Mike. I'll check out the podcast when I have a free moment.
    Especially of interest to me personally is anything related to the language - unique vocabulary that one might not otherwise come across.
    As I get things going I'm thinking about creating some resources for things like that. Naturally, in order to maintain broader appeal I have to refrain from using too much Japanese vocabulary as-is in an audio format.

I listend to more of them last night. Wow you are putting massive amounts of research into these! Very cool.

I listend to more of them last night. Wow you are putting massive amounts of research into these! Very cool.
    Thanks. The actual work work was essentially done by others. I just collate their information, check online to see what else I can find, and rewrite it differently enough (I hope) that I avoid charges of plagiarism.

There are about a zillion true crime podcasts out there in English and they unavoidably end up covering the same cases sometimes. The only real advantage or difference I have working for me is that very few Japanese crimes have ever received any treatment in an English medium. (Even on the current news stories I am consciously avoiding those that I think may have made it into English language news somewhere). There are tons of materials about crime here written in Japanese and I can't imagine ever running out of material that nobody else has ever covered in English before.

Compelling listening, I only go to Tokyo a few days in the year but always see those go carts an wonder at the skids and spills. Especially like the blunt instrument rampage, led me to dig out my Nick Cave collection.

Wow Lee went totally crazy!

How much is it to rent the Mario Karts? :P

Default HANZAI: True Crime Stories from Japan

Wow Lee went totally crazy!

How much is it to rent the Mario Karts? :P
    Not sure but in the last couple years in Tokyo they have become quite popular
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

13. Default

I listened to the first two episodes, really interesting. Nice work.
    On the second story I couldn’t quite get the link between the story and the second family he went to attack. But maybe it’s just me ��

Quote Originally Posted by Mersontheperson View Post
    I listened to the first two episodes, really interesting. Nice work.
    On the second story I couldn’t quite get the link between the story and the second family he went to attack. But maybe it’s just me ��
    The second family was the family of his supervisor at work, Imagawa Genichi. The neighbors asked Imagawa to intervene between the two and patch things up after Lee said he was going to get revenge himself since the police wouldn't help him. Imagawa got Lee and Etou drunk and smoothed things over....or so he thought.

15. Default

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/003000c

Not quite the severity of the crimes you discuss, but my favourite Japanese media story of last year

Quote Originally Posted by Mersontheperson View Post
    https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/003000c

Not quite the severity of the crimes you discuss, but my favourite Japanese media story of last year
    The kind of mundane shit that makes national news here just reminds me why I love the place so much.

That's totally awesome how you are getting listeners from all over the globe. I wonder how many are folks on GR. I'm impressed how quickly the detectives seem to find the perps. Anyway, another good episode. Thanks Mike!

I think this is great Mike.
    I listen to one so far. The one on the Hokkaido Nursing Home murder. I guess the reason I choose this one is because my sister was "murdered" "killed" whatever one wants to call it at a nursing home. No charges were ever filed too. What had happened as I was told, the head nurse allowed a staff member (non license) to give out the medications to the patients. The staff member gave her the wrong medication. She died later in the hospital that night. No charges were filed, but I understand the head nurse got fired. Small town politics probably played apart. My sister has 3 kids that could file charges or a lawsuit. Nothing came out of it. Unfkn unbelievable.

New episode was great. I was surprised about the monk at first, but then really that's just another name for priest. lolz

Really enjoying your podcast Mike. ;)