Thread: Scrapping a motorcycle with a German number plate

Default Scrapping a motorcycle with a German number plate

Greetings, wise people!

My girlfriend and I have ridden from Berlin to Japan throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall of 2017. We planned on riding through Japan this Spring, but sadly the circumstances have changed.

We are currently in Fukuoka and one of the bikes is not fit for riding anymore. We would like to hear what experiences you all have with the process of scrapping a motorcycle in Japan. We might possibly have to scrap them both.

We are trying our hardest to find a solution through google and visiting motorcycle dealers (Red Baron) and car scrappers, but so far we have come up empty handed.

Some information about the bikes:
    Honda NX250 MD25 (1992 & 1996)
    Imported with carnet de passage (CDP) through the customs at Sakaiminato.
    Both have the jibaiseki insurance.
    We chose not to do the inspections for emissions and such (i.e. still on German number plates).

It is important for us to get the correct paperwork done at the scrapper, so we can get our CDP stamped and signed at the customs. Without it, we will lose the deposits of our CDP.

We hope someone from this great community will be able to point us in the right direction.

Best regards,
    Denise & Esben.

PS: if you are interested, you can find more about our trip on motourama.net or under facebook.com/motourama. Be advised, though, we have not written past Georgia.

Have you tried asking Customs? They're the ones you have to satisfy in order to get your money back. I'd take their answer over anything we have to say.

門司税関博多税関支署
    〒812-0031 福岡県福岡市博多区沖浜町8−1
    092-263-8331
    https://goo.gl/maps/Mv5YpRiErBA2
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 19-03-18 at 06:47 PM.

I second what Mike said explain the situation to customs.
    Now I doubt any dealer would take them if it's like you say, and actually the may charge you to take android them for you.
    Now if you do need to just scrap, get rid of them I'd happily take them from you. 😎
    You can PM me if you like.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

While googling for information, the conditions of a CDP require that the vehicle be exported back out of Japan and the deposit is to ensure that.

If that is correct, i wouldn't be surprised if you lose the deposit and maybe even find yourself owing some taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Motourama View Post
    We are currently in Fukuoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    While googling for information, the conditions of a CDP require that the vehicle be exported back out of Japan and the deposit is to ensure that.
    Haul it by whatever method works to the ferry port, put it on the boat to Busan, retrieve deposit from Customs.

You will have to balance the cost of the boat trip (looks like 40,000 return bike + driver, presumably half that one way) with the value of the deposit.

Wether or not you want to actually import it into Korea is a different question.

And the other big question is how much was your deposit? It might not be worth al the hassle of getting out of country maybe loosing the deposit , (again depending how much it is ) is worth the price of mind of avoiding the hassle of dragging it out of country.
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Have you tried asking Customs? They're the ones you have to satisfy in order to get your money back. I'd take their answer over anything we have to say.

門司税関博多税関支署
    〒812-0031 福岡県福岡市博多区沖浜町8−1
    092-263-8331
    https://goo.gl/maps/Mv5YpRiErBA2
    If you need help with interpretation, let me know in a PM.

Hello again and many apologies! Somehow we did not get any notifications of replies to this thread. We would like to update everybody on the status of our issue.

First, we would like to thank everybody for the replies and suggestions.

It was, indeed, quite impossible to scrap the bikes, so it became necessary for us to find a shipping company, who could ship the bikes to Europe for us.

The issue with the CDP (which is 3000 per bike, by the way) was that we could only get back the deposit back by scrapping them or by getting them to a European country, where the different governmental institutions are recognized by the ADAC.

The idea of exporting them to S. Korea was not a bad one, but would have involved a lot of time and effort for the money, compared to shipping.

We have made arrangements with Nippon Express to ship both bikes to Hamburg for 1300$ all in all. A decent amount considering the fact, that the bikes can be taken apart back home and sold as spare parts.

So, that is the lay of the land with our bikes.

Thank you again for all the help and suggestions!

Thanks for the update! Glad it all seems to work out for you.
    Life begins at 155mph

Thank you so much for the update. Too bad it didn't work out for you so well though.