Thread: National Insurance + Private one

Default National Insurance + Private one

Hi,

I can't find any information on Google, so I thought maybe some folks could help me here.

I am resident in Japan and my company provides me national insurance.
    I also have a private insurance on the side (and my company knows about it).

In my home country, it is pretty common to have both: national insurance covers part of the fee, the private one covers the rest.

I have been doing the same here:
    - I go to the doctor
    - hand my national insurance card
    - pay the fee (30% of the full price because the national insurance covers about 70%)
    - ask the clinic to provide a bill and to stamp my private insurance form to claim refund
    - submit the docs to my private insurance
    - get refunded

I did that in more that 5 different clinics during the last two years.

But last week, I went to see a new doctor (non-Japanese) that told me that was illegal to do so: it is either the national insurance covers 70% and I pay the rest OR I don't use national insurance and use my personal insurance for all the fee.

I am very surprised as it doesn't make sense at all to me.

Do you know if the doctor is right?

Thank you

Default National Insurance + Private one

I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV 😎 but Personally I'd trust the Japanese doctor not the non-Japanese doctor. Especially if you've been having no problem with that.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

He's full of shit.

They advertise that on television and in every bank lobby in the country. Most major insurance companies offer such policies.

Thank you so much for your quick answers!

And I forgot to mention that, when I asked to use my insurance instead of the national one, the doctor added some stuff to the bill.
    Full of shit indeed!

Thanks again for your support, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Higekun View Post
    Thank you so much for your quick answers!

And I forgot to mention that, when I asked to use my insurance instead of the national one, the doctor added some stuff to the bill.
    Full of shit indeed!

Thanks again for your support, much appreciated!
    Adding to the bill should tell you all you need to know about why he told you that fucking lie about the insurance. The fucker is scamming.

His logic made no sense anyway. So if you can't afford the 30% yourself and your father pays it for you or gives you that amount later.... that would mean you can't use the national insurance? Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Adding to the bill should tell you all you need to know about why he told you that fucking lie about the insurance. The fucker is scamming.
    Indeed! It was already too late when I saw that (doctor gone, only admin staff with no understanding of the situation at all and tired of their shit).

I am going back next week for follow-up appointment (and get my private insurance paper validated), I wish I could show them some legal proof they are lying/scamming. I guess I will just make it clear, in a nicely but firm way.

Quote Originally Posted by Higekun View Post
    Indeed! It was already too late when I saw that (doctor gone, only admin staff with no understanding of the situation at all and tired of their shit).

I am going back next week for follow-up appointment (and get my private insurance paper validated), I wish I could show them some legal proof they are lying/scamming. I guess I will just make it clear, in a nicely but firm way.
    Ask your insurance agent to call them. That company is getting stuck covering 100% instead of 30% (plus the padded bullshit charges he is adding on) and I imagine they would welcome the opportunity to tell the doctor different.

I bet you anything he doesn't try telling Japanese patients that nonsense.

Want to share his name or the name of the hospital?

Thanks you Mike, thank you very much for your support.
    It is stupid but I feel like I've been ripped off and it makes me feel bad about myself. Your support helps dealing with that.

Your comment made me realize that I forgot an information that might be important: my private insurance is not Japanese but from my home country. Hence they can't call.
    That being said, the doctor didn't know that when they refused my private insurance. So it doesn't change anything from their side I guess.

I will see if my company can do something about it (I doubt so, but I'll ask).

Before I share their information, I want to close this matter directly with the clinic and doctor. I think it is better that way.

Thanks again!

Follow-up (and closing) on the situation.

I went again to the clinic. The doctor did stick to her version. The key element of her speech was that, in order to be a clinic approved by insurances, they cannot accept both national and private insurances at the same time.
    Incredible, I know. I tried to argument but that was pointless.

Anyway, don't go there: Kaminoge Eye Clinic, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo. Doctor's name is Touline Musashi.

Thanks again Mike and race162 for your replies.

Cheers