Thread: GPX on the iPhone and Mac

Question GPX on the iPhone and Mac

What are people using to employ GPX files with Macs, and iPhones?

I've been playing around with Motion X GPS on the iPhone. On the Mac Adze, and GPX Viewer/Editor. I can't say that the experience has been up to typical standards one might expect on these platforms. Maybe this is due to the nature of GPX files, but I don't have enough familiarity with them to know.

Craig sent me a sample GPX map file for the C2C, and it looks like a bunch of vectors that don't even align with actual roads. I've loaded it into a number of apps, and it basically comes out the same in each.

I have a fair amount of experience with Google maps which is normally what I employ for the rides I organize here in the States. I've also used Apple Maps a fair amount with the iPhone and Mac. It's quite usable these days. None of the GPX apps seem to behave anything like Google/Apple maps. Even when the apps employ Google, or Apple maps in the background.

Since GPX is the lingua franca of the C2C world I figure I better get up to speed with this technology well before the 29th of April.

I have been building gps routes in ridewithgps.com for last 10 years. I also import .gpx files to there given to me that have been built with other tools and so far all have displayed ok and I can then edit them if I choose to and use.

The site looks like it is focused on pushbikes however was built by two motorcyclists and still supports motorcycles same as it always has.

To use on your bike need app with support for multiple user waypoint gpx files - ie to guide you over a route that is not the most direct way as happens with Google.
    Scenic Motorcycle Tour is one that looks promising so far but I prefer a dedicated gps for many reasons.

Cool NaviRider

This looks interesting:

NaviRider (website)

Default Motion X GPS

From Paul posted on the FB group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29060374_10155911455932949_5910071613100408298_o.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	12959

Paul's instructions:

Sign up for a Google account, Go to Maps, My Places and then Create Map. Use the 'draw line along roads' option to create your map. Click lots of points along the way to stop Google taking you a 'more convenient' way. You might want to break the route into different sections. Give each section meaningful names, 'Route 237 onto 463' etc. so you can find them in the app later. Even though you create 1 map, each section will show up as a separate Track in the app. Save your map in Google Maps.

You now need to download the map as a .KML file, convert it to a .GPX file and mail it to your phone. Its easy. Click out of Google Maps, then back into it. Select your map. Under the title of your map you will see in blue writing, KML. Click this and download the file to the PC. Here's a 2 min video on this step:

Now that you have the KML file convert it to .GPX file by using this website:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Click GPX at the top, upload your file, hit convert then download the new .GPX file.

Mail this .gpx file to yourself, open in your phone, hold your finger on the attachment and choose open with MotionX GPS. Its done. You now have a route superimposed on the map. The route is saved in the phone. The GPS is always active. Even if you are out of the mobile phone coverage area, the map may disappear but the route will still be there with your position.

Default Furkot

Ken posted this information:

There is a website called Furkot, you can import/export KML/GPX (and a couple others) with it, and use it for planning, best part os that it uses the Gmaps engine to start with so that is easy. After that you just need a reader/navigation app. Gmaps is a major pain in the but...and its entirely possible that the iOS version doesn't have the import/export support that Android or Windows does, I know the iOS doesn't have the timeline feature. I am very familiar with the Andriod side but I don't do apple anything...so I think maybe co-poilot works, there is an Osm app but its nearly unsupported and basically sucks.

Default GPSBabel

Graham posted:

Also, if you're converting, editing and are somewhat masochistic, check out GPSBabel.

https://www.gpsbabel.org/
    Last edited by ToraTora; 01-04-18 at 06:17 PM.

No need to convert if you use ride with gps, it outputs in gpx format, also no waypoint limit that google has.
    Can have custom cue sheet prompts and custom POI. Can choose gmaps or OSM and swap on the fly while planning.
    Can see street view and gmap user 360 degree images on the fly while planning, can see elevation of your route and many other features.
    I have used GPSbabel and antiquated route creation tools like basecamp in past. No need to muck about with that now.
    Last edited by Warren; 01-04-18 at 11:44 AM.

Cool Ride with GPS

Hey Warren, to be sure I wasn't discounting Ride with GPS, I even have it on my phone already. :)

I was just posting up information that others have shared too. I figured it's good to share information, and let folks know what's available. I was unaware of most of these things before I asked about them. I did know about Ride with GPS though. ;)

Here's a potentially useful Ride with GPS video:

Default Relive

This looks interesting:

https://www.relive.cc

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    This looks interesting:

https://www.relive.cc
    I used that on my Tsushima tour last year with Endomondo providing the ride tracking. Heavy battery drain but it works as advertised.
    Maybe someone on this years C2C twisty butt ride can record with this.

Apparently the newer version works with more than just Strava. I suppose if you have the phone plugged into power it might be okay if it doesn't over head. The Relive is post processing, so whatever app is employed to record the route is going to steal the phone's resources. Hopefully by the time C2C happens I'll have experimented enough to have some decent mapping action going on. ;P One can hope.

Warren, are you doing the 500 or 600 route this year?

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Apparently the newer version works with more than just Strava. I suppose if you have the phone plugged into power it might be okay if it doesn't over head. The Relive is post processing, so whatever app is employed to record the route is going to steal the phone's resources. Hopefully by the time C2C happens I'll have experimented enough to have some decent mapping action going on. ;P One can hope.

Warren, are you doing the 500 or 600 route this year?
    I plugged the phone into power bank a couple of times over course of the day. Can use the phone as normal and have Endomondo running in background (I didn't use Strava).

Splicing some of this into a on bike type video would make it more interesting. If you take stills with phone then can auto insert them at the location in the fly over.

Not doing the C2C, good roads and I shall probably ride a version of that route in summer, but over two days then continue north.
    Last edited by Warren; 03-04-18 at 11:44 AM.

I plan to head north after the C2C. Need to research the roads for it, but will eventually head out towards Sendai to visit one of the Neko Jimas. I'm thinking to ride the west coast north for a little bit. Usually coastal roads are fun and interesting.

I've seen a Relife video with still images. I agree though the most effective use of it would to be to use their software to generate the video, and then use parts of it inside of another video. It's novel the first time you see it, but to watch a whole trip get's boring quite quickly.