Thread: Need a holder for my Android phone to go on my scooter/bicycle

Default Need a holder for my Android phone to go on my scooter/bicycle

I need it to take video mostly and to read maps so its got to be one that will stand up position. I say one that a bicyclist had but he told me his only lays flat.

Link would help.

Thanks.

This series of mounts have been very reliable for me over the years.

https://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip

I've never had a device come lose from this series and it's fully adjustable to the position needed.

Rammount #1. Lots of mounting options and various attachments for phones, GoPro, up to huge tablets.

I've recently started using the Quad Lock system. It's pretty cool. They have a really nice case that fits on the phone. This case can snap into the mechanism on the mount. The orientation can be portrait or landscape. They also have a poncho to protect the phone from the rain. They have a number of different cases, and mounts. For instance you can mount it on a mirror, or handle bar. They aren't cheap—the quality is very high.

Thanks guys.
    Actually I was hoping to find something way cheaper then them two. But it gives me some idea.

Cool Home Brew

If you are on a super tight budget there are some home brew projects that you can pursue. There are bicycle mounts for the Garmin bicycle computers that can be modified, and brought into service. You can get one of these, and attach it to a phone case. This works quite well and a relatively low budget too. There are a number of videos illustrating this technique. Here's one to get you started.

But also if you watch eBay you can find the Quad Lock for about $20 plus shipping—depending on your phone. ;)

The main reason I didn't pursue this method is because it locks you into one orientation. The Quad Lock lets you use both, and I wanted that option.

Amazon.com: VAVA Bike Phone Mount, Phone Holder for Bike with ...
    https://www.amazon.com/VAVA-Triangul.../dp/B0746HXWM9

Hi guys, got this in the mail today. I had my brother do some shopping at Walmart and he came up with this one. Seems to be OK, but the reviews on amazon tell a whole different story. The only thing I've notice so far is the side benders are extremely hard to pull out. Maybe that is better since the phone will be snugged in tightly. The reason I didn't buy one here is because the store I went to which caters to bikers and cars had some but the cheapest was around 4 thousand yen. Well I hope to take some videos with me on my ATB or scooter soon. Nice weather now.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Vehic...ustomerReviews

Make sure you're reading the instructions right. If they're extremely hard it is possible you're doing it wrong and forcing them.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    I need it ... to read maps so its got to be one that will stand up position.
    Please don't try to read maps as you ride. Put the phone in your pocket and run an ear bud to one of your ears to listen to google audio directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Make sure you're reading the instructions right. If they're extremely hard it is possible you're doing it wrong and forcing them.
    Mike, there is no lever to pull for ease. The chambers are like a saw blade, so pulling them out takes some pulling, but the opposite is true when pushing in, goes in real smooth. That's why I think I was doing something wrong, but the instructions just show an example with no explanation. So I guess I'm doing it right. I pretty happy with it so far, time will tell.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Please don't try to read maps as you ride. Put the phone in your pocket and run an ear bud to one of your ears to listen to google audio directions.
    Dale, one thing I learned about even riding a bicycle, keep your dang eyes always on the road. I'm going to have to check into google audio directions. Never heard of it before, wonder if it comes in English here for road maps in Japan.

Thanks again for the advice.

Default Need a holder for my Android phone to go on my scooter/bicycle

I use google maps quite often here in Japan and I always hear the directions in English.
    Of course part of that is how you have your phone set up👍
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    Mike, there is no lever to pull for ease. The chambers are like a saw blade, so pulling them out takes some pulling, but the opposite is true when pushing in, goes in real smooth. That's why I think I was doing something wrong, but the instructions just show an example with no explanation. So I guess I'm doing it right. I pretty happy with it so far, time will tell.
    Thanks.
    Does the flat part sticking out of the bottom between the two skinny bottom arms not move in and out (up and down) to serve as a lock fo the side arms?

Make sure you use the silicon band that came with it!

I used a similar mount in my car with the suction cup. There was a release button on the back side towards the top. If you press it, the side arms spring open. Try looking for some kind of button on the mount.

Look at this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KrULdWkge5s

Does your holder not have the same release button at the top on the back?

There is something on there SOMEWHERE which opens the side arms. Stop forcing it or you're going to break it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Look at this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KrULdWkge5s

Does your holder not have the same release button at the top on the back?

There is something on there SOMEWHERE which opens the side arms. Stop forcing it or you're going to break it.
    Yep! That's the exact model. Thanks for posting, Mike.
    I did see the little triangle in the back of the phone but never thought it had a function to it. Was wrong. I didn't break the holder so all is well. Going to rain today so I'm not able to try it out on my ATB bicycle, but even at my age I don't let the trails or country small roads that are full of debris stop me from venturing. Hope this holder works well for me.
    The reviews though are somewhat negative on the design of it. I'll be finding out, hopefully the phone doesn't fall out.
    Thanks again Mike for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by jkp38 View Post
    I used a similar mount in my car with the suction cup. There was a release button on the back side towards the top. If you press it, the side arms spring open. Try looking for some kind of button on the mount.
    Yep! It has the button, thought it was just part of the design with no function. Thanks.