Thread: License plate bolts

Default License plate bolts

I take the license plate off the bike often when going to the track or off-road and it's a small pain to do.

There must be some bolts, clasps, fasteners, or some such that are secure enough but do not require tools to come off.

Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about? Thanks.
    CRF250

Wingnuts could work

Good call. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    CRF250

Check at your local home center in the area where they sell loose bolts, nuts, washers, etc. They have all sorts of things you probably never imagined existed. I got some bolts with big plastic knobs on them to replace the standard Phillips head bolts that hold the side covers on my son's bike, as it made access to the battery a snap. (Honda, in their infinite wisdom when designing the VTZ250, also put the compartment for the tool kit behind a panel which requires a screwdriver to open...)

Actually, I've kind of done the opposite. I've made it so my tag/number plate is more difficult to remove by replacing the standard bolts with a 10mm head to Allen bolts with aircraft nuts on the back.
    I did that after recently reading an article and I forget where it was about how number plates after has been on the rise it's kind of sad but this was a safety precaution. But to agree with Mike Cash your local hardware store is your friend.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Check at your local home center in the area where they sell loose bolts, nuts, washers, etc. They have all sorts of things you probably never imagined existed. I got some bolts with big plastic knobs on them to replace the standard Phillips head bolts that hold the side covers on my son's bike, as it made access to the battery a snap. (Honda, in their infinite wisdom when designing the VTZ250, also put the compartment for the tool kit behind a panel which requires a screwdriver to open...)
    Could you post a pic of those big plastic knobs?
    CRF250

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Could you post a pic of those big plastic knobs?

Give me a day or two.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it.
    CRF250

My wife has a few big plastic knobs, oh wait a minute, I think I have the wrong end of the stick, (it can happen when the lights are off)

Search around for Torx safety bolts. The are Torx bolts with a pin in the middle. All you need is the proper tool to remove them, but most thieves probably wont have the tool with them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mnCDROhuLlmVoH8sxYjfaEw.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	12967

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Search around for Torx safety bolts. The are Torx bolts with a pin in the middle. All you need is the proper tool to remove them, but most thieves probably wont have the tool with them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mnCDROhuLlmVoH8sxYjfaEw.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	12967
    Appreciate it but I'm looking to do the opposite, that is, take the plate off and put it back on without tools.
    CRF250

I was just thinking, you could make your own cool custom bolts with some regular bolts, epoxy, and a couple of bottle caps. Just use wing nuts and lock washers on the back and you'd be good to go.

If you could do it with left-handed threads that would probably be all the theft prevention you'd need.

smash up old hard drives (hardoff junk section) take out the magnets they already holes in them, theyre pretty strong, good glue them to the back of your plate. Fix a metal plate base to your bike. Good offroad, so no prob onroad

I'm afraid I'm all thumbs when it comes to DIY... but I'm curious about those magnets. Thank you, guys.
    CRF250

Old hard drive magnets rock! They are actually really strong.
    I actually used them to replace my tank bag magnets they are much better👍.
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    I actually used them to replace my tank bag magnets they are much better👍.
    That made me smile.
    CRF250

That made me smile.
    I'm happy I made you smile👍😎
    Life begins at 155mph

Thanks, man, I appreciate it.
    This is what I use to secure the side covers and make it easy to remove and replace them.

Something like this with wing nuts on the back should work fine. I would really strongly suggest using a lock washer with the wing nut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8E2B33D0-E790-4DCD-BBAF-F8AC5463FDEE.jpg   5F12FB43-3425-4EEF-BB49-ACE05E0D3AA0.jpg   93D3537E-4581-4A41-A87A-DEEBF6D9B1FF.jpg  

I'm such a moron that I've seen them a thousand times and yet did not make the connection. Thanks for taking the time to post the pic, Mike.
    CRF250