Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: License plate bolts

  1. #1

    Default License plate bolts

    I take the license plate off the bike often when going to the track or off-road and it's a small pain to do.

    There must be some bolts, clasps, fasteners, or some such that are secure enough but do not require tools to come off.

    Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about? Thanks.
    CRF250

  2. #2

    Default

    Wingnuts could work

  3. #3

    Default

    Good call. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    CRF250

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,646

    Default

    Check at your local home center in the area where they sell loose bolts, nuts, washers, etc. They have all sorts of things you probably never imagined existed. I got some bolts with big plastic knobs on them to replace the standard Phillips head bolts that hold the side covers on my son's bike, as it made access to the battery a snap. (Honda, in their infinite wisdom when designing the VTZ250, also put the compartment for the tool kit behind a panel which requires a screwdriver to open...)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,883

    Default License plate bolts

    Actually, I've kind of done the opposite. I've made it so my tag/number plate is more difficult to remove by replacing the standard bolts with a 10mm head to Allen bolts with aircraft nuts on the back.
    I did that after recently reading an article and I forget where it was about how number plates after has been on the rise it's kind of sad but this was a safety precaution. But to agree with Mike Cash your local hardware store is your friend.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Check at your local home center in the area where they sell loose bolts, nuts, washers, etc. They have all sorts of things you probably never imagined existed. I got some bolts with big plastic knobs on them to replace the standard Phillips head bolts that hold the side covers on my son's bike, as it made access to the battery a snap. (Honda, in their infinite wisdom when designing the VTZ250, also put the compartment for the tool kit behind a panel which requires a screwdriver to open...)
    Could you post a pic of those big plastic knobs?
    CRF250

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Could you post a pic of those big plastic knobs?

    Give me a day or two.

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks, man, I appreciate it.
    CRF250

  9. #9

    Default

    My wife has a few big plastic knobs, oh wait a minute, I think I have the wrong end of the stick, (it can happen when the lights are off)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Search around for Torx safety bolts. The are Torx bolts with a pin in the middle. All you need is the proper tool to remove them, but most thieves probably wont have the tool with them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mnCDROhuLlmVoH8sxYjfaEw.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	12967

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Search around for Torx safety bolts. The are Torx bolts with a pin in the middle. All you need is the proper tool to remove them, but most thieves probably wont have the tool with them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mnCDROhuLlmVoH8sxYjfaEw.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	12967
    Appreciate it but I'm looking to do the opposite, that is, take the plate off and put it back on without tools.
    CRF250

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,646

    Default

    I was just thinking, you could make your own cool custom bolts with some regular bolts, epoxy, and a couple of bottle caps. Just use wing nuts and lock washers on the back and you'd be good to go.

    If you could do it with left-handed threads that would probably be all the theft prevention you'd need.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Saitama
    Posts
    252

    Default

    smash up old hard drives (hardoff junk section) take out the magnets they already holes in them, theyre pretty strong, good glue them to the back of your plate. Fix a metal plate base to your bike. Good offroad, so no prob onroad

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm afraid I'm all thumbs when it comes to DIY... but I'm curious about those magnets. Thank you, guys.
    CRF250

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,883

    Default License plate bolts

    Old hard drive magnets rock! They are actually really strong.
    I actually used them to replace my tank bag magnets they are much better👍.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    I actually used them to replace my tank bag magnets they are much better👍.
    That made me smile.
    CRF250

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,883

    Default License plate bolts

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    That made me smile.
    I'm happy I made you smile👍😎
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Thanks, man, I appreciate it.
    This is what I use to secure the side covers and make it easy to remove and replace them.

    Something like this with wing nuts on the back should work fine. I would really strongly suggest using a lock washer with the wing nut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8E2B33D0-E790-4DCD-BBAF-F8AC5463FDEE.jpg   5F12FB43-3425-4EEF-BB49-ACE05E0D3AA0.jpg   93D3537E-4581-4A41-A87A-DEEBF6D9B1FF.jpg  

  19. #19

    Default

    I'm such a moron that I've seen them a thousand times and yet did not make the connection. Thanks for taking the time to post the pic, Mike.
    CRF250

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •