Thread: parking...

Default parking...

Does anyone know the secret for daily parking near your residence without the police hounding you? My mansion doesn't have any motorcycle parking and the neighbors have finally realized that I don't live at their apartment and aren't keen about me using their empty parking lot

Sorry you found this out the hard way, but there is no real secret. If you want hassle free, you have to discuss with the real estate company beforehand, and depending on the place and where you park, there may be a fee.

Not all apartments even have parking for bikes other than 50cc scooters. Your experience will depend a lot on the landlord, but my suggestion is to discuss with the agent or landlord. Be prepared for the possibility that they may just flat out refuse, with no flexibility.

If that's the case, depending where you live, there may be other options for parking off site.

Keep in mind that even if they don't have a car, the neighbour may be paying for that space, and even if they aren't, they might see your bike as a nuisance or imposition.

Does no one park their 50cc scooter in the bicycle parking area? Based on displacement, you could make a good argument for using the bicycle area too if there are scooters there.

Without knowing where you live there is nothing concrete I can do to try to google up motorcycle parking in your area.

You could rent a car spot and put your bike in it. That's what I do, but I'm out in the sticks where parking is dirt cheap.

No one parks their scooters there sadly... There is definitely room but the kanrigaisha seems to be pretty inflexible about the whole thing

I live in Setagaya. Nozawa 2-choume

I would love to rent a car spot but the one at the mansion is $200 a month, and that's a bit too steep for me lol

Not that it helps you now, but the closer you are to things like train stations the less you will get (or it will cost a lot more) from the apartment. Less space, less parking (sometimes not even bicycle parking), less greenery etc. etc. It's the classic tradeoff.

I live in Setagaya too, 20 minutes from the nearest train station. My place has ample covered parking for 50cc and big bikes, for a nominal charge of 5,000 per year. The big-bike section even has designated spaces for each one.

Even if you could rent a car spot they would complain (and probably cancel the rental) if you put a bike there. Car spaces are for cars, bike spaces are for bikes, bicycle spaces are for bicycles. You won't change that narrow mindset without a baseball bat.

So, if you want motorbike parking at your apartment it needs to be a criteria for selecting the place, not an add-on after you move in. On the plus side, places with ample bike parking will be farther away from train stations and therefore have lower rent.

sadly I am 12 minutes away from the station and still no luck on parking.

the thing that kills me is that there is space EVERYWHERE

https://imgur.com/gallery/IyQxS0l

Is there any way I can talk sense into management?

https://www.jmpsa.or.jp/society/park...3/p-28428.html

https://www.jmpsa.or.jp/society/park...3/p-26937.html

https://www.jmpsa.or.jp/society/park...3/p-28371.html

Or just look at
    https://www.jmpsa.or.jp/society/park...#21306;-2.html
    and move it to center on your home. The nearest 30 places will display.

No, you won't be able to talk management into making a special exception for you. Because if they do it for you they have to do it for everybody....or at least hear endless bitching from other residents who either think you're breaking a rule or who are pissed you got special permission, even if they didn't want to do the same thing themselves and your bike is in no way interfering with their life. People are petty.

That gallery shows:

- A car space. For one car. Not a bike, a car.

- Access / exit to interior hallways and maybe a utility room. No parking in front, that's standard in pretty much any developed country.

- Bicycle parking. For bicycles. The rack allows higher density without having to rearrange everyone else's bike. Too bad there isn't enough headroom for a double-high rack

- same access/exit as before

- another hallway. Very likely considered a fire exit.

- more bicycle racks

I also see a motorbike parked in a space that seems to be just right for a motorbike. So it looks like your place does have a motorbike space and someone else beat you to it.

So there really doesn't appear to be that much space. It may be unoccupied right now but it is taken for other purposes.

Assuming you photographed everything, your place has parking for one car, one motorbike, and 40 bicycles. Not great, but not entirely unreasonable for the Tokyo end of Setagaya near a major train line.

Quote Originally Posted by holi View Post
    Is there any way I can talk sense into management?
    You are not allowed to use the words "sense" and "management" in the same sentence here.

there are two more car spots by they are taken

Regarding leaving anything in that corridor area, I wouldn't be surprised if the fire laws pretty much prohibit that. Everything just looks like wasted space until you have to get emergency vehicles in there and people out of there.