Thread: Tsunoshim Island Yamaguchi ken, some pictures of the bosozoku, funny because I was on my scooter

Default Tsunoshim Island Yamaguchi ken, some pictures of the bosozoku, funny because I was on my scooter

I've only heard about the "bosozokus" and how their bikes are noisy, but the other week I went down to Tsunoshima Island on my scooter and ran into a crowd of them and other bikers. The cops there were only in pairs of 2 and I saw 2 squad cars. Some of the bikes were a piece of art. I stayed around and watch them leave after a couple of hours. Sad to say the police did nothing about them cleaning up their cig butts and other trash.Here are some pictures. If you ever get to Yamaguchi-ken, Tsunoshima Island is well know for the bridge. Not much to do on the island actually. Buy an ice cream cone, chill out for a couple of hours. Watch the crowd come and go. There is camping there, but it must be well hidden because I yet have found the area. The beach which is extremely small is crowded during the summer and its not free to enter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3689.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	12975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3690.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	12976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3693.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	12977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3694.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	12978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3696.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	12979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3698.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	12980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3701.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	12981

Default Tsunoshim Island Yamaguchi ken, some pictures of the bosozoku, funny because I was on my scooter

[QUOTE=adventurous biker;162052]... Some of the bikes were a piece of art.
    ...Tsunoshima Island is well know for the bridge.
    ...There is camping there, but it must be well hidden because I yet have found the area.
    [quote]

Itís actually cool to see younger Bosos, I mostly see older and elders.
    Some of the bikes can indeed be pieces of art. Others just defy safety (how the hell can he see through that headlight?)

I visited there last November, and the island at the middle of the bridge has cool hexagon rock columns, like the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.

The campsite is in the middle of the island, supposed to be in front of the lighthouse museum.
    Tsunoshimaohama Camping Ground.
    1413-1 大字角島 豊北町 Shimonoseki-shi, Yamaguchi-ken 759-5332
    083-786-0477
    https://goo.gl/maps/HUp4mEK8FYn

I didnít stay there, but I did use one further south and it was hidden behind the elementary school.
    Itís a great area, a terrific mix of terrains (the karst to the east was also cool), few traffic lights, light traffic, etc.

Googling "Tsunoshima camping" in English yields plenty of results.

Campgrounds are usually set so you can't see them from the road. The reason being nobody wants to be able to see the road from their campsite.

If you're not paying attention to roadside signs, campgrounds can be very easy to drive by without noticing.

[QUOTE=BansheeBiker;162053][QUOTE=adventurous biker;162052]... Some of the bikes were a piece of art.
    ...Tsunoshima Island is well know for the bridge.
    ...There is camping there, but it must be well hidden because I yet have found the area.

It’s actually cool to see younger Bosos, I mostly see older and elders.
    Some of the bikes can indeed be pieces of art. Others just defy safety (how the hell can he see through that headlight?)

I visited there last November, and the island at the middle of the bridge has cool hexagon rock columns, like the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.

The campsite is in the middle of the island, supposed to be in front of the lighthouse museum.
    Tsunoshimaohama Camping Ground.
    1413-1 大字角島 豊北町 Shimonoseki-shi, Yamaguchi-ken 759-5332
    083-786-0477
    https://goo.gl/maps/HUp4mEK8FYn

I didn’t stay there, but I did use one further south and it was hidden behind the elementary school.
    It’s a great area, a terrific mix of terrains (the karst to the east was also cool), few traffic lights, light traffic, etc.
    I think I know the campsite location you mentioned. It's before Tsunoshima bridge. I think it is on the left side of the road going there from Shimonoseki. I'll check it out soon.
    That little island in the center of the bridge, during the fishing season (summer) has a lot of boats around it.

It takes me about 2.5 hours to get there by scooter, but going through the countryside on 435 route is really nice. Nice thing about it is gas doesn't cost me more then 600 yen round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Googling "Tsunoshima camping" in English yields plenty of results.

Campgrounds are usually set so you can't see them from the road. The reason being nobody wants to be able to see the road from their campsite.

If you're not paying attention to roadside signs, campgrounds can be very easy to drive by without noticing.
    Thanks Mike.
    The signs in this part of the country are like "wow I just past the campsite type of sign", so yes, you are correct. Having stayed a several sites now, I have to say being a foreigner and saying hello to other campers made camping enjoyable. Got to taste freshly caught crab miso soup last year and some kind of Kyoto special rice that was a bit tasty, but I thought too salty with what ever was put into it.
    But yes, camping is OK in these parts. Most areas one can walk around and smile and say hello and be offered a beer and a small evening chat.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    I think I know the campsite location you mentioned. It's before Tsunoshima bridge. I think it is on the left side of the road going there from Shimonoseki. I'll check it out soon.

It takes me about 2.5 hours to get there by scooter, but going through the countryside on 435 route is really nice. Nice thing about it is gas doesn't cost me more then 600 yen round trip.
    Hijukaisuiyokujo Auto Camping Ground
    〒759-5241 Yamaguchi Prefecture, Shimonoseki, 豊北町肥中
    083-786-0458
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZzaV2xMoTUF2

That 4th picture is a great, up close and personal shot of the bozo bikes.

The signs in this part of the country are like "wow I just past the campsite type of sign", so yes, you are correct.
    I have to say that this particular campground is better marked than most:

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    That 4th picture is a great, up close and personal shot of the bozo bikes.

I have to say that this particular campground is better marked than most:

Thanks Dale
    I 've been to Tsunoshima Island about 5 times and once even to go camping there, but I never saw that sign. Anyway I ended up going back to Nagato to camp for the night. I see that it cost 2000 yen for one night, a bit high for my budget. Should be on the road in about 3 weeks for some camping in Kita Kushu. Want to get to Oita area.

I worked at Dominos Pizza years ago. The first time I walked in the store I thought the pizza smell was going to knock me down. Two weeks later I couldn't smell it at all.

I think the same thing happens to foreigners when it comes to Japanese signs. If you can't read them, it doesn't take long to just tune them out completely and not even notice they are there.

I worked at Dominos Pizza years ago. The first time I walked in the store I thought the pizza smell was going to knock me down. Two weeks later I couldn't smell it at all.

I think the same thing happens to foreigners when it comes to Japanese signs. If you can't read them, it doesn't take long to just tune them out completely and not even notice they are there.
    I have to agree with you on your thoughts here. Funny thing is I actually was looking for the campground and I can read katakana and still missed the sign. Anyway with the nice weather now I'll be heading out there again, this time my eyes will surely be open.
    Dominos Pizza, I've never eaten them. Are they in Japan now?

Dominos Pizza, I've never eaten them. Are they in Japan now?
    They've been here for at least 20 years 😎
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

I've only heard about the "bosozokus" and how their bikes are noisy, but the other week I went down to Tsunoshima Island on my scooter and ran into a crowd of them and other bikers. The cops there were only in pairs of 2 and I saw 2 squad cars. Some of the bikes were a piece of art. I stayed around and watch them leave after a couple of hours. Sad to say the police did nothing about them cleaning up their cig butts and other trash.
    What would you expect the police to do?

Those are not hard core bosozoku, their bikes look street legal and they are wearing helmets, they're just hobbyists enjoying a day off on what they think are cool bikes.

Thankfully the heyday of the bosozoku has ended, they were attracted to Enoshima down here in Shonan in the 70's and 80's. Hundreds of them would gather up and down the beach road and make tons of noise. Local residents would call the police but they were afraid to come because they were outnumbered. They used to sell thinner in the streets and there were occasional shooting and stabbing deaths. Authorities finally cracked down by closing off Enoshima Island at night and erecting a concrete strip down the center of the beach road, that is still there, after some bososoku beat a famous journalist to death in front of Enoshima station after he complained that their car was too loud.

At least those people you saw have passion for something, not like so many young herbivore men in Japan these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Something Wild View Post
    What would you expect the police to do?

Those are not hard core bosozoku, their bikes look street legal and they are wearing helmets, they're just hobbyists enjoying a day off on what they think are cool bikes.

Thankfully the heyday of the bosozoku has ended, they were attracted to Enoshima down here in Shonan in the 70's and 80's. Hundreds of them would gather up and down the beach road and make tons of noise. Local residents would call the police but they were afraid to come because they were outnumbered. They used to sell thinner in the streets and there were occasional shooting and stabbing deaths. Authorities finally cracked down by closing off Enoshima Island at night and erecting a concrete strip down the center of the beach road, that is still there, after some bososoku beat a famous journalist to death in front of Enoshima station after he complained that their car was too loud.

At least those people you saw have passion for something, not like so many young herbivore men in Japan these days.
    Yeah, these were mostly college age kids out letting off steam.
    When I was stationed at Yokota, I use to go to Shinjuku and see the dope heads sniffing paint thinner. Thing is, after 40 years those kids now are in their 60's. Wonder how many actually made it to their 60'th birthday.

A few more pictures.
    Like to add some more pictures but the forum isn't taking them due to its size I guess.
    How do I make the pictures smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    They've been here for at least 20 years ��
    I remember eating Domino's in Tokyo in 1989, I think.

I remember eating Domino's in Tokyo in 1989, I think.
    They had Shakey's at the time, but Domino's I don't ever recall seeing. Shakey's in Shinjuku was the place to hang out with your date. And then after that hit the coffee shops with jazz music playing in the background. LP's that is.

Domino's has 22 stores in Kyushu.

https://pizza.dominos.jp/en/store-finder

Domino's has 22 stores in Kyushu.

https://pizza.dominos.jp/en/store-finder
    To be fair, there's only one in Yamaguchi, and it's quite far from where he lives.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    To be fair, there's only one in Yamaguchi, and it's quite far from where he lives.
    What pisses me off is the glacial pace of their spread in Japan.

What pisses me off more is they are in cities to the east and west of me, but not in my city. I do love a good Domino's pizza and I just wish they'd come to town while I still have teeth.

What pisses me off is the glacial pace of their spread in Japan.

What pisses me off more is they are in cities to the east and west of me, but not in my city. I do love a good Domino's pizza and I just wish they'd come to town while I still have teeth.
    One would think the size of Ube would have a Domino's Pizza. Maybe in the future. We have a take out called LA Pizza and Chicago Pizza, they deliver by scooter. Costly though and the sizes really aren't that big.