Thread: Need suggested campsites for Kyushu Island

Default Need suggested campsites for Kyushu Island

From July 13th to maybe the 17th I want to tour Kyushu Island. My plan is to go to Fukuoka, head east to Oita, then down to Miyazaki, over to Kagoshima, then up to Kumamoto then head back to Oita and Fukuoka and back to Yamaguchi .
    I'm looking for campgrounds that are free or around 1000 yen per night. Any suggestions are most appreciated.
    I do hope I don't run into any typhoons.

Trying to tackle Fukuoka, Oita, Miyazaki, Kagoshima, Kumamoto and back home via Oita is a huge distance to cover in 4 days on a big bike fitted for long distance touring at 400+ KM a day. You'll have to significantly reduce that while traveling by scooter. Something realistic (and something I would highly recommend) would be spending a couple of days in Kunisaki. It's going to take you at least an entire day just to get to Kunisaki, and an entire day just to get home from Kunisaki (especially since it's a 3 day weekend) and there's enough in Kunisaki to keep you mighty happy for 2 days. There are lots of campgrounds in Kunisaki too.

It's 43 km from your house to the campground in Akiyoshidai. It's 61 km from your house to Hagi, and 64 km from your house to the bridge at Tsunoshima.

It's 119 km (twice as far) just to get to Usa Jingu which isn't even the Kunisaki peninsula yet. I suspect that even getting to Aso and back home in the amount of time you have would be a superhuman effort.

Here's a campsite where you can stay at a tent site for 540 yen a night. Just pitch your tent and leave it there, ride around for a day enjoying the sites, and return to the same site in the evening.

If you wake up before the sun, and ride all day stopping only for fuel and food, you might be able to make that campsite in one day. Same with the return ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Trying to tackle Fukuoka, Oita, Miyazaki, Kagoshima, Kumamoto and back home via Oita is a huge distance to cover in 4 days on a big bike fitted for long distance touring at 400+ KM a day. You'll have to significantly reduce that while traveling by scooter. Something realistic (and something I would highly recommend) would be spending a couple of days in Kunisaki. It's going to take you at least an entire day just to get to Kunisaki, and an entire day just to get home from Kunisaki (especially since it's a 3 day weekend) and there's enough in Kunisaki to keep you mighty happy for 2 days. There are lots of campgrounds in Kunisaki too.

It's 43 km from your house to the campground in Akiyoshidai. It's 61 km from your house to Hagi, and 64 km from your house to the bridge at Tsunoshima.

It's 119 km (twice as far) just to get to Usa Jingu which isn't even the Kunisaki peninsula yet. I suspect that even getting to Aso and back home in the amount of time you have would be a superhuman effort.

Here's a campsite where you can stay at a tent site for 540 yen a night. Just pitch your tent and leave it there, ride around for a day enjoying the sites, and return to the same site in the evening.

If you wake up before the sun, and ride all day stopping only for fuel and food, you might be able to make that campsite in one day. Same with the return ride.
    Thanks Dale, that's what I'm looking for. I'll take your advice and then just stay in that area. Although I don't have to be back by the 18th, I know time goes by quick.
    I don't know anything about the area, but was in Beppu some 40 years ago. I remember that it is very mountainous. Can you tell what things are to sight see that you've seen and don't cost much money?
    Again thanks. My scooter only 47km an hour. Kind of slow really. Seems to running good, might get the oil changed while I'm on the road there. Looks like it will be sunny, although typhoon 8 is out there but way south of Okinawa.
    Hopefully I'll take some vids and pictures.

Ok, new information ...

Because of the super heavy rains on Thursday and Friday, there is extensive damage to the roadways, especially in Moji where you'll have to cross into from Shimonoseki. This includes both the Kitakyushu urban expressway and the Kyushu expressway, both of which are closed indefinitely due to large and deadly landslides. This means that all of the through traffic is being pushed to the surface streets, which are also damaged and have limited capacity. This encompasses the entire northern Moji peninsula from Moji IC to Nagano IC near Kitakyushu airport and all the way up to Adachi IC on the west side of the peninsula. It's entirely possible that it could take you more than 3 hours just to get from Shimonoseki to Kanda. Now is not the time to be threading through heavy truck traffic on damaged roads.

If you're still interested in touring around Kunisaki, here's a potential alternative for you. There is a ferry that runs from Shunan to Taketazu on the Kunisaki peninsula here: https://goo.gl/maps/D3oSDck8dDG2 The ferry sails from Shunan at 7:20am, 12:00, 4:40pm and the crossing takes 2 hours.

One way ferry cost for you and your scooter would be 1800 yen. Don't know if that will blow your budget or not, but that's the situation you're looking at.

Dale, you know I call myself Adventurous Biker, really had to do with riding a bicycle here in Japan since I came here. I always wanted a motorcycle though and 3 years ago I was able to buy a new scooter and I didn't know about this forum and about licensing for a motorcycle. I looked at the scooters and then wanted it so the owner never told me about getting a motorcycle license and at the time I had the money to go to school and buy a new 250cc. I just didn't know about it all.
    Anyway, I'm not going to adventurous and head south, seems like it at the present time is going to be too much of a hassle then adventure for me.
    I'm going to stay here in Yamaguchi and Shimane then. I've never been to Shimane. Have you ever done any camping in Shimane and sightseeing?

Thanks for taking your time with the above help about the Ferry. Shunan is a distance from the house, but I might consider it in the future.

If you make it up this way, let me know. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    Shunan is a distance from the house, but I might consider it in the future.
    It's only 70 km, only a few KM further than Tsunoshima. Much closer than trying to go all the way out to Shimonoseki and then across the northern coast of Kyushu to get to Kunisaki. Though, the ferry cost is certainly something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    If you make it up this way, let me know.
    I think it's going to be a good long while before the congestion in Moji decreases to the point where I'll be considering a trip to Yamaguchi, but I'll keep in touch.

Well, it looks like Shimane Prefecture for me. Be leaving a few minutes. Going to Hamada and Matsue. Hope to have some pictures.

Default Need suggested campsites for Kyushu Island

Have a good trip. Anytime we can get away is enjoyable so have s great time
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post

Hey Dale
    I got about 2 weeks free this month. I made it to Iwami Beach Park in Shimane Prefecture. Took a long time on the scooter. Had no problems with it.
    Anyway, are the roads any better now going to Kunisaki. If so, I'm going to try to go there. What you mention is that there is a lot to see around that area, sounds good to me.
    Again, thanks for the campsite tip.