Thread: I'll soon be back on the saddle!

Default I'll soon be back on the saddle!

Been living here in Kanto (Tokyo) for 3 years now. Back in Europe I've been riding on daily basis, now it is time for me to ride again!

I'm in the process of collecting all the needed papers for the driving license conversion. If the conversion is a success I'll be testing a Harley roadster 1200, Triumph Bonneville T100 and a Husq Vitpilen 701... I have to say that the vitpilen if my favorite for now.

Hopefully, I'll be able to join a few ride by autumn this year.

surprised you're not checking the KTM 790 alongside the Husky

Quote Originally Posted by wrk2ride_ride2wrk View Post
    surprised you're not checking the KTM 790 alongside the Husky
    KTMs are great bikes but I am in the market for a bike that I can customize yard or cafe racer style in the long run.

Welcome, and enjoy your bike shopping.

The styling and light weight of the Vitpilen have a lot of appeal to me, but not so much the price! A lot of nice bikes for that money.

I test rode the Svartpilen. A lot of fun, but in the end not the bike for me.

Not interested in the Kawasaki Z900RS or Yamaha XSR900? Or how about a Ducati or Moto Guzzi? :)

Quote Originally Posted by arber View Post
    Welcome, and enjoy your bike shopping.

The styling and light weight of the Vitpilen have a lot of appeal to me, but not so much the price! A lot of nice bikes for that money.

I test rode the Svartpilen. A lot of fun, but in the end not the bike for me.

Not interested in the Kawasaki Z900RS or Yamaha XSR900? Or how about a Ducati or Moto Guzzi? :)
    It's true that the Vitpilen is pricey compared to what bikes you can get with that price.

I am not really attracted to the Ducati and Moto Guzzi roadster / cafe / scrambler selections, aesthetically it's not my cup of tea.

Never liked Kawa in general, but you are right about the Yamaha XSR. I should have a closer look and maybe test ride it. Looks like it has a good base for customs ideas. The only issues I have with popular bikes, is that they are more prone to get stolen. Black after market for Japanese bike is huge in many countries.

Don't think bike thief is a big issue in Japan tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Piment974 View Post
    Don't think bike thief is a big issue in Japan tho...
    It's definitely a thing here, but certainly not to the extremes it is in other parts of the world. Just use a half decent bike lock, and you'll be fine. With the Yamaha, it also has an immobilizer as well, so that helps too.

For an incredibly fun bike with a strong engine, and great feature vs. price point, the XSR900 is top notch. I have over 70000 km on my Tracer, which uses the same engine as the XSR.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    It's definitely a thing here, but certainly not to the extremes it is in other parts of the world. Just use a half decent bike lock, and you'll be fine. With the Yamaha, it also has an immobilizer as well, so that helps too.

For an incredibly fun bike with a strong engine, and great feature vs. price point, the XSR900 is top notch. I have over 70000 km on my Tracer, which uses the same engine as the XSR.
    Yeah, even here in Japan I reckon that it is common sense to have at least screaming disk lock, chain and cover.

Yamaha are reliable bikes indeed but that vitpilen looks so good! And it's light! Can't wait to test ride it but I'll test other bikes.

Had various type of bike over the years.. Honda Hornet, Ducati monster 750, Ducati evo 848 and Harley Forty-eight (turned bobber style).

By the way, anyone got some experience buying new in Japan? Is it ok to haggle on the price here? Or try to get reductions on gears?

By the way, anyone got some experience buying new in Japan? Is it ok to haggle on the price here? Or try to get reductions on gears?
    Haggling good luck this isnít like most countries where they do that.
    Now that being said you can probably get them to discount or throw in certain pieces of gear Iíve had that happen with both car and bike so that is not unheard of.
    Best of luck to you on that.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

I haggled for my last two purchases. However, I had already purchased two motorcycles through them previous to that. I haggled for both my trade in price, the purchase price of the new bike, and sundry other things, like swapping out the tires to tires I prefer, adding an ETC unit and so on.

You can try, but don't expect them to budge much until you've solidified a relationship with the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I haggled for my last two purchases. However, I had already purchased two motorcycles through them previous to that. I haggled for both my trade in price, the purchase price of the new bike, and sundry other things, like swapping out the tires to tires I prefer, adding an ETC unit and so on.

You can try, but don't expect them to budge much until you've solidified a relationship with the dealer.
    Exactly. If itís your 1st with then expect nothing. And if you do get something itís a bonus.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Can't say much about new purchases, I've only bought secondhand in Japan. Bigger bikes, especially foreign makes, seem to lose their value very fast in the first couple of years, so there are quite a few lightly used bargains in my opinion. Japanese bikes seem to hold their value a bit better.

And just to throw one more bike into the mix, if your budget can stretch, there's the R Nine T too ;)

Can't say much about new purchases, I've only bought secondhand in Japan. Bigger bikes, especially foreign makes, seem to lose their value very fast in the first couple of years, so there are quite a few lightly used bargains in my opinion. Japanese bikes seem to hold their value a bit better.

And just to throw one more bike into the mix, if your budget can stretch, there's the R Nine T too ;)
    I did see the BMW R nine T. When you look at it from the side, she looks great! But once you look at it from the rear and front, well she does look like one of those fat goldfish... XD

Well, I tried the bonneville bobber out of curiosity and really really loved it! I ended up buying it XD... Gonna receive it in two weeks

Congrats, enjoy! Which Triumph dealer?

Congrats, enjoy! Which Triumph dealer?
    Went to the one located between Kichijoji and Nishi-Ogikubo station. I believe, I got a good deal on the price. Employees there were nice people.