Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid sized adventure style bikes

Default Mid sized adventure style bikes

Just posing the question out there.
    Not interested in big Adv bikes such as the Africa twin , BMW 1150 or 120oGS or any large bike.
    Want to know peoples thoughts on mid sized bikes around 650 cc Iím hearing the Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys and the Suzuki DL650 Vstrom are there but what are people riding pluses and minuses Iíd love to hear.
    Iím looking to do this relatively soon. So hearing what peopleís thoughts are would be great.
    I do know that recently both Suzuki and Kawasaki came out w/250cc versions but I think that will be too small.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

What exactly are you looking for in an adventure bike? If I was to do this, I would go for a dual sport/sumo with swappable wheels for street and off road, add some saddle bags and a more comfortable seat and call it good.

Iíve tried out a few dual sports didnít like the feel or comfort factor. The couple mid sized adventure bikes Iíve checked out seemed to fit better and were far more comfortable to me. So Iím curious to hear from other folks
    Life begins at 155mph

The Serow Yamaha 250 cc is a choice bike. Get the touring bike though. Problem is I think they quit making them for 2018.

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/mc/lineup/serow/touring/

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    The Serow Yamaha 250 cc is a choice bike. Get the touring bike though. Problem is I think they quit making them for 2018.

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/mc/lineup/serow/touring/
    Looked at 250cc and I like them well enough but I/we are wanting more mid sized
    Life begins at 155mph

I had a 400cc Honda TransAlp.
    Rode it for many, many years and it never let me down.
    If it's a bike well taken care of they can last forever (have friends who rode them past the 200.000km mark!!).
    Only problem: they are not that easy to buy.
    Klaus D.
    A Kraut living in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by klausdorth View Post
    I had a 400cc Honda TransAlp.
    Rode it for many, many years and it never let me down.
    If it's a bike well taken care of they can last forever (have friends who rode them past the 200.000km mark!!).
    Only problem: they are not that easy to buy.
    Thatís good information to know. Hereís couple questions for you you were trans Alp, what year was it? Did you have ABS on yours?
    How was it for finding parts availability when needed and did you do long-haul rides on yours?
    Thanks
    Life begins at 155mph

Ok, let me see:

it was a 1990/91 model, an "old lady". *_*
    No ABS, old-fashioned style riding.
    Parts, except for brake pads, oil filter and those more or less regular maintenance things nothing was needed.
    Long-haul rides: 3 times from Shikoku to Hokkaido (2 week trips)
    Kyushu touring, Shikoku touring, going to Hiroshima and so on.
    As I said: this bike never let me down!

Double post, sorry!!!
    Klaus D.
    A Kraut living in Japan

Ok, let me see:

Parts, except for brake pads, oil filter and those more or less regular maintenance things nothing was needed.
    More info on my former bike can probably be obtained from "biflindi" (he bought it :-( )
    Klaus D.
    A Kraut living in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by klausdorth View Post
    Ok, let me see:

More info on my former bike can probably be obtained from "biflindi" (he bought it :-( )
    Yeah I know him and that bike cool thanks👍🏍
    Life begins at 155mph

I second the Transalp 400, there are a few on Goobike now.

Rock solid, 90s Honda reliability and simplicity. Excellent all-rounder in Japan.

A touch top-heavy for tight city traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    I second the Transalp 400, there are a few on Goobike now.

Rock solid, 90s Honda reliability and simplicity. Excellent all-rounder in Japan.

A touch top-heavy for tight city traffic.
    Yeah I like the trans alp my only reservations are this itís age they are no longer made and knowing Japanese mfgís parts availability will disappear ( not consumables ) and internationally getting parts of needed. Because this adventure bike whichever is finally decided on will be used in Japan of course but also in other countries.
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Yeah I like the trans alp my only reservations are this itís age they are no longer made and knowing Japanese mfgís parts availability will disappear ( not consumables ) and internationally getting parts of needed. Because this adventure bike whichever is finally decided on will be used in Japan of course but also in other countries.
    The Transalp 400v is almost identical to the Transalp 600v which was widely sold internationally for almost a decade.

And physically it's the same size as the venerable Vstrom 650.

I have a Transalp now and looking for an excuse to grade up but it's just too good, no other bike can tick more boxes, especially the big one, price.

BTW, how tall are you?

I understand your thought but itís still an old bike that parts will be difficult to get. And thatís my main issue, now Iím not talking oil filters brake pads, tires ect.... thatís my problem I can live w/o ABS and I can ride the Vstrom 650 and it is comfortable and while Iím not sitting flat foot on the ground it is comfortable. If that helps
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    I understand your thought but itís still an old bike that parts will be difficult to get. And thatís my main issue, now Iím not talking oil filters brake pads, tires ect.... thatís my problem I can live w/o ABS and I can ride the Vstrom 650 and it is comfortable and while Iím not sitting flat foot on the ground it is comfortable. If that helps
    Sounds like the V-Strom 650 is right for you. Endless amounts of upgrades available for customization.

Realistically speaking though, in Japan, something like the new Versys-X 250 will provide 90% of the same performance in daily riding conditions. In most urban areas, speed isn't provided by engine power, by rather by flickability and ease of lane splitting.

Those are just my thoughts. I went for the Transalp 400 for all around practically, but honestly, my heart is seeking something with more character.

I appreciate the input and maybe in your reality and the 250 will do everything you need in my reality it does not. If I was only doing local riding then maybe but Iím not and I donít.
    So for me I need that midsize bike especially since this is not just for Japan
    I do like the Vstrom 650 XT itís really nice and the Kawasaki Versys 650 is nice.
    You are entirely correct about those and less upgrades on the Vstrom there are some really great upgrades that Iíve seen.
    Trust me I have nothing against an older bike most of my bikes have been older my current Ducati is it 2000 so and it has no ABS and has none of those cool features but for the type of riding were moving to that wonít do it. And after riding sport bikes most of my life Iím done with them
    Life begins at 155mph

How about a Cagiva Elefant? ;)
    A bit thin on the ground though.

Quote Originally Posted by arber View Post
    How about a Cagiva Elefant? 😉
    A bit thin on the ground though.
    Good suggestion without doubt. But Thatís just a Ducati air cooled engine in the Caviga chassis😎 while I am a Ducati whore, I love my Duc. The reason Iím straying away from them in finding an adventure bike is Weight thatís the main reason.

I know there is or was a group here called Kansai-Riders. Havenít heard from any of them in a long time.
    I know they have or had a pretty sizable ADV bunch. Would love hearing their thoughts as well.
    Life begins at 155mph

When I was researching mid-sized ADV bikes I came to the following conclusion:

Vstrom 650 (nicely balanced 90 deg V-twin motor, great torque for city work, farkles galore)

Versys 650 (like the Vstrom but more sport oriented, high revving twin)

NC750X (the logical choice, excellent storage, frugal, but a parts-bin bike, no character)

a BMW (you'll look cool, feel cool, but you'll pay for it in repairs and maintenance)

didn't research the Yamaha Tracer, just didn't like the look.

The Honda 400x is worth a look too if you're short but it seems expensive for a 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    When I was researching mid-sized ADV bikes I came to the following conclusion:

Vstrom 650 (nicely balanced 90 deg V-twin motor, great torque for city work, farkles galore)

Versys 650 (like the Vstrom but more sport oriented, high revving twin)

NC750X (the logical choice, excellent storage, frugal, but a parts-bin bike, no character)

a BMW (you'll look cool, feel cool, but you'll pay for it in repairs and maintenance)

didn't research the Yamaha Tracer, just didn't like the look.

The Honda 400x is worth a look too if you're short but it seems expensive for a 400.
    I hear ya
    Thanks for your insight. Hereís what Iíve learned.
    In my research thus far
    Depending on the Vstrom a great adventure bike IF your doing tarmac and gravel. If you get the XT model then itís full blown ADV.
    The Versys nice adv bike.
    The NC750x was a complete no go not a viable option.
    Couldnít agree more with the BMW lol...

Putting that to the side
    Really like the comfort on the Vstrom
    The Versys is nice
    A DR no thanks. The bmw while comfortable too pricey on parts and such.
    My problem it seems in japan test rides at dealers is next to none.😢
    Life begins at 155mph