Thread: SSL certificate

Default SSL certificate

I know. It's an odd one.

I'm looking to purchase a SSL certificate for a business registered in Japan with servers hosted by Namecheap.

The 'regular' certificate providers (Symantec, Comodo, etc) seem to choke if you are not in the US or Europe. The Japanese resellers appear to be charging over 10 times the price. What's up with that.

Anyone has experience with this sort of thing?

Thank you guys.
    CRF250

Use one from LetsEncrypt.

Plus: Free. Yes, free. 0.

Plus: takes minutes to install

Minus: needs to be renewed every 90 days.

Minus: needs a bit of command-line skill if the host doesn't provide integration.

Minus: no extended validation (green bar with your name in it). Unless you are accepting credit cards no one will care.

Plus/Minus: as long as you have access to your site's document root folder you can obtain a certificate for that domain, and then install it via the control panel. (plus cause the host doesn't need to support it, minus cause it requires a bit of jockeying about with the verification)

https://letsencrypt.org/

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check it out.
    CRF250

Just wanted to second that. I use LetsEncrypt for domains I run from NameCheap, Go Daddy and お名前.com. No problems so far and you can set up a cron job to renew before the 90 day expiration.
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1994 Yamaha SRV250

Thanks. LetsEncrypt is going to do it for me. Could you post (or PM) the cron job script?
    CRF250

Default Let's Encrypt Cron

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Thanks. LetsEncrypt is going to do it for me. Could you post (or PM) the cron job script?
    Okay, so first some clarification so we don't make any mistakes. I'm running this on a headless Ubuntu 16.04 server. I run it for 2 certs for a MyBB forum and a Wordpress site. Let's Encrypt is now referred to as Certbot. When you run certbot on your server to get the certificate, it should automatically generate the cron job, but you should make sure. Here's the cron job:
    Code:
    0 */12 * * * root test -x /usr/bin/certbot -a \! -d /run/systemd/system && perl -e 'sleep int(rand(3600))' && certbot -q renew
    This will check your certs and try to renew them twice every day. Apparently, that's the best way to do it to make sure your certs never lapse. They only actually renew when close to expiration. Check out this site for the best instructions for your environment: https://certbot.eff.org/all-instructions/ Hope that helps.
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1994 Yamaha SRV250

Much appreciated. Good karma to you.
    CRF250