Thread: Would you buy a KTM in Japan?

Default Would you buy a KTM in Japan?

Aside from my recently acquired passion for bikes, I have always had a huge interest in cars. Being in Japan it is now possible to avail myself of all the special JDM models that are hard to get and expensive abroad. So I am very unlikely to buy a european car here. However, some models you can get much cheaper here, specifically Audi S4's and BMW M5's which are about 10 years old, seem to em to have a massive price discount to the UK for instance.

This brings me on to bikes, I am getting quite keen on the Honda GB250 Clubman and the CB223s, Kawasaki 250TR etc.

But I do hear that KTM are a very good bike at the 250 and 390 range with the Duke.

Will I be paying considerably more for parts, insurance and servicing with a European bike? Should i just be sticking to explore the Japanese market as it does seem its like being a kid in a candy store.

Oh, and the dutch being very tall, is the distance between seat to peg slightly longer on a KTM? I am going to pop over to their Setagaya store in a minute and sit on a few.
    But would be really interested on peoples view on buying KTM (or Ducati and BMW for that matter) in Japan. A friend of mine once told me that some european bikes can be a bargain here.

I popped in to the KTM shop and didn't really like the riding position of the Duke, however, there was the Husqvarna SVARTPILEN 401 as a demo model, and wow, was that thing lovely. I thought the riding position was spot on, but at 777k a pretty pricey chugata friendly option.

But I was very impressed.

KTM – AUSTRIA, not Holland

Yeah I realised that a bit later. oops.

I have two KTMs. The service and parts rates aren’t bad compared to Japanese bikes at the KTM Impala shop in Kansai. BMW rates are very high. J bikes are easier to get worked on of course.

I agree, there are some real bargains secondhand. Foreign bikes don't seem to hold their value as well as domestic models. Even just a couple of years old. So buy secondhand is my advice.

As you've guessed the main disadvantages are less dealers, lower parts availability etc.

Just a quick update to close the thread, firstly a big thank you guys to your kind advice and friendly comments, really appreciated.
    As I also mentioned on the other thread I started, I have been trying to work out what bike was best to get so I have finally decided.
    Taking on board everyone's comments the thing that stuck with me most is that I would certainly change the bike within a year and that eventually I think i will have both a 400cc decent sized bike and a 90-125 cc scooter or Cub.
    So I decided to buy something simple, that will be easy to sell on and very easy for me or my local bike shop to work on. I toyed with buying at auction, juts seemed a bit too much hassle, so i did my rounds at the motorbike shops after spending countless hours researching the local market on goobike.
    I sat on probably 50 bikes, then ended up today putting a deposit on a 2002 Kawasaki 250TR in what looks to me as great original condition, with only about 12,000 km on the clock. The popularity of these as custom builds I think will ensure it will always be easy to move on or I can send it back to the UK to my brother in law.
    I chose this specific bike because of the guy that had his little shop (e-bikers in Kameido) and I really just liked and trusted him. Not that he spoke much English, but he was great at telling me what bikes to avoid, which manufactures had stopped making parts for which bikes etc. I sat on it and I thought it would be perfect for my first proper bike.

Will post a pic when I collect next week.

Congrats, they're a really good looking little bike.