Thread: How to get Chugata license less expensively

Default How to get Chugata license less expensively

Hello Guys,
    Surprised and happy to see such a forum for expat
    Recently I hooked up to biker vlogs on youtube and decided to get a bike for myself
    I have a Japanese 4 wheeler license and it costed me a bomb
    So I am considering less expensive options to get Chugata (400cc) License.

I have manual bike license in my home country. And 4 wheeler license in Japan.
    Is there any that I can leverage these 2.

spoiler: I have the experience of driving bike only unto 200 cc.

Looking forward to hear ur kind advices.

Br
    Venkat

You can go at it independently but, while it is doable, it will be a royal pain in the arse.

Based on my experience and your lack of it, I would recommend an academy. They are expensive but guarantee the outcome.
    CRF250

If you have a m/c license in your home country it is not that bad to do it directly at the driving center. I did it with minimal Japanese and was not so bad. Of course depending on your home country some are easier than others lol ..
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    If you have a m/c license in your home country it is not that bad to do it directly at the driving center. I did it with minimal Japanese and was not so bad. Of course depending on your home country some are easier than others lol ..
    I did that too. Just paperwork in my case.

My wife, however, got caught in the system and had to go at it from scratch. The procedure is quite involved and, if you fail to approach it like Japanese do, it is insufferable.
    CRF250

Quote Originally Posted by venkateshkatta View Post
    I have manual bike license in my home country. And 4 wheeler license in Japan.
    Qualify those a bit. Does "4 wheeler" mean a regular car license?

And was your existing bike license issued more than 3 months before you landed in Japan?

If Yes and Yes you can exchange the bike license for a local one.

If you have to do the full application process for some reason it will be a balance of money and time. If you have lots of time, do the direct application for approximately •25,000 and 6-8 full weekday afternoons. The add-on license at a driving school will be in the •150,000 range but can be done evenings and weekends.

More details when you clarify the above two questions.

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    I did that too. Just paperwork in my case.

My wife, however, got caught in the system and had to go at it from scratch. The procedure is quite involved and, if you fail to approach it like Japanese do, it is insufferable.
    Serious bummer fir the wife. Like you I did not experience that. I also hear that prefecture to prefecture there are subtle little differences.
    In Kyoto where I am. Just followed the rules and at the time minimal Japanese but I found you go in xpecting it to take time and be pleasant and you will do fine. Oh and the paperwork argh......
    Letís not forget to go to JAF and have your license translated 😎.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Serious bummer fir the wife. Like you I did not experience that. I also hear that prefecture to prefecture there are subtle little differences.
    In Kyoto where I am. Just followed the rules and at the time minimal Japanese but I found you go in xpecting it to take time and be pleasant and you will do fine. Oh and the paperwork argh......
    Let’s not forget to go to JAF and have your license translated ��.
    I told her. They are not going to test your driving skills, just your patience. And it took her nine freaking months to get the license. Nine. Which is beyond any sane definition of "necessary" when you consider that she has been driving for 3 decades (without a single accident or ticket).
    CRF250