Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: User shaken tip: tax forms

Default User shaken tip: tax forms

########## TIP 1 ##########

If you're renewing your bike's shaken and don't have a tax receipt from the previous year because you didn't own it then, you'll need to stop in at your ward office and get a form saying you don't have to pay last year's tax. It's called a "nozeshomeisho." I learned that the hard way today... ::?

########## TIP 2 ##########
    The Over Racing mufflers on my TDM900 are JMCA approved and have catalysers in them. Today at the shaken test center they passed the shaken noise and exhaust gas tests with no problem.

BUT because the TDM Over Racing used to gain JMCA approval has a couple different ID numbers than the ones listed on my shaken paper, they failed my bike. I called Over Racing to ask if their test bike and mine were any different and was told that they're exactly the same other than the numbers being changed, which sometimes happens when the years are different. In any case, I've got to throw the stock pipes on and do the exhaust portion of the test again.

So check to make sure the numbers on the aftermarket pipe's JMCA document and your shaken document match before assuming that your bike will pass shaken with that pipe on it.

This also explains why aftermarket manufacturers list their catalyzed mufflers as only being for specific years even though it is clear that they will fit other years of the same model. Upon checking Over's site again, I found that they did list the vehicle number that the pipe had been approved for.

########## TIP 3 ##########
    My bike initially failed the headlight position test today. I couldn't find the adjuster to lower the high beam so I took off the heavy top box and put as much body weight as I could on the gas tank the second time around. It passed.

Jim, is that for shaken only or is that also for a meigihenkou?
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Just for shaken, I did the meigihenko earlier this year without a problem.

Thank you for the clarification.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

FYI:

Quote Originally Posted by gkanai
    Just FYI, if you are renewing your shaken, you need to make a reservation using the automated system here:

050-5540-2130
    Don't Panic

is the problem with the exhaust that it is too loud??
    or are thet merely reading it off a list and making their determination of that??

if so the days of stuffing steel wool into the pipe are gone??

If your bike's a 2003 or newer those days are over because they have to pass emissions inspections and aftermarket pipes have to have documentation certifying that they pass official testing for your specific bike, right down to matching engine series numbers. 2002 and older, you just have to pass decibel tests.

My TDM passed sound and emissions testing at the shaken place, but the TDM that Over Racing used to certify the pipes had a different engine series number than my TDM, so they failed it.

Default Re: User shaken tip: tax forms

So where is the place where you have to go to do the shaken??
    is is the same as to register the bike in your name??

can you post the address so i could find it

Thanks
    Basty

I don't have the address handy. But if you take Yamate Dori to Kyu-Kaigan Dori and turn right and ride a few minutes, it's going to be on your left. If you're doing a name change you can just show up but if you need shaken you'll have to schedule an appointment by phone anyhow so you might need a Japanese friend for that.

beware too that if your bike is euro export model then it might have the ability to switch the lights off. they will fail you if they notice this switch, and check and find it functioning. be sure to have your lights on and dont show that they can be switched off.

last time i did it on the SP1 i had to go through this act of pretending to try and turn the lights off (when in fact they could be switched off.)

Quote Originally Posted by theblob
    beware too that if your bike is euro export model then it might have the ability to switch the lights off. they will fail you if they notice this switch, and check and find it functioning. be sure to have your lights on and dont show that they can be switched off.

last time i did it on the SP1 i had to go through this act of pretending to try and turn the lights off (when in fact they could be switched off.)
    Just back from the shaken center in Kawasaki
    Map here => http://www.mapion.co.jp/c/f?uc=1&grp=al ... &bid=Mlink

Got it for the 4th time and I have never been troubled by what the poster above refers to.
    My CBR is an import model (UK), such switch is fitted and here in Japan they just ask to beam LO and HI during the lights/winkers test, engine running or not, it depends on the guy doing the inspection.

The funny thing with lights at the shakenshoo is the fact they are checking the HI beam (LO back in home country), with that robotic machine moving in front, after you pass the brakes' inspection.

The optical block on the CBR 929 has 3 bulbs; middle one is LO, and the two others HI.
    Setting Up-Down/Left-Right is done for the block at once, not for individual bulbs.

So today, they masked the LO and alternatively each of the HI, right HI passes (got the maru mark lighten up),
    but not the left HI!? :roll:
    Operator pretended there is not enough light (akarusa tarinai) :evil: ;
    well, I have 3x110Watts instead of the factory fitted 3x55Watts bulbs, and I changed all three last Saturday.
    How is that possible?

Revved up a little bit and it passed.

I can’t say that the light beam area in front of the bike comes second, but the movements of the robot were well outside the longitudinal axe.

It might be helpful to set the idle a little higher?

By the way, reservation for the shaken inspection can be done online
    => http://www.kensayoyaku.mlit.go.jp/CarAnswer/app

Quote Originally Posted by bibendum
    So today, they masked the LO and alternatively each of the HI, right HI passes (got the maru mark lighten up),
    well, I have 3x110Watts instead of the factory fitted 3x55Watts bulbs, and I changed all three last Saturday.
    How is that possible?
    I've done my own shaken 4 times now, 3 times on the Fazer and once on the KTM. It's about as close to voodoo as I have seen in Japan. They wont tell you which way you've failed and it's really an annoying test. I've used that vendor right across the street but they are mainly a car place and they rarely know how to adjust motorcycle light.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

How is that possible?
    I've done my own shaken 4 times now, 3 times on the Fazer and once on the KTM. It's about as close to voodoo as I have seen in Japan. They wont tell you which way you've failed and it's really an annoying test. I've used that vendor right across the street but they are mainly a car place and they rarely know how to adjust motorcycle light.
    Every bike will fail the head light test unless you get the tester to set the lights first ...down here at Omiya the guys know how to set lights its what they do all day long.....

I've gone through the shaken centre in Nerima 3 times and they've never failed my lights. In fact, they never failed anything. Nerima comes highly recommended!

BTW, even if you have Shinagawa plates, you can go to Nerima (that's what I do). Not sure about other plates, but maybe you can go to any centre you choose to.
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

How is that possible?
    The obvious answer is that those psuedo high power bulbs are only fooling you :badgrin:

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    How is that possible?
    The obvious answer is that those psuedo high power bulbs are only fooling you :badgrin:
    YOU need to take a reading comprehension test!
    let me s-p-e-l-l it for you:
    3 bulbs in total, ............. t-h-r-e-e
    2 bulbs pass, ............... t-w-o p-a-s-s
    1 fails ............................ o-n-e f-a-i-l-s

YOU need to <SNIP>!
    If you like those super bulbs, you're gonna love these high performance products!

Engine Oil Bypass Kit $49.95

Modern synthetic oil is very expensive - so why run the risk of getting it dirty by running it through your motor block? KaleCoAuto bypass kit comes with everything you need to run the oil around your motor block where it will do more good. Oil runs cooler, and as a result, there may be horsepower gains!

Cross Drilled Brake Lines $69.95

Want improved braking? Why just cross drill those rotors? Introducing KaleCoAuto cross drilled brake lines! Improved airflow through lines provides superior brake cooling. Brake fluid is exposed to cool moving air, almost instantly reducing heat, and providing shorter stopping distances! All lines are made of quality latex. Brake lines come in: Red and Yellow. Please specify color when ordering!! Warning!! You must replace ALL brake lines at once. You may mix colors.

Radiator Insulator $199.95

The weakest part of your motorcycle is the likely the radiator. It is a simple matter of physics when we tell you this: Energy is lost through heat. All sorts of heat is lost through the radiator - in essence - losing the horsepower through heat! Not anymore!! KaleCoAuto brings you the Radiator Insulatior - Simply slip over your radiator and enjoy the power! KaleCoAuto radiator insulation is made from only the finest asbestos, and is guaranteed to trap 90% more heat!

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    YOU need to <SNIP>!
    If you like those super bulbs, you're gonna love these high performance products!
    Ha.ha.ha.
    :|
    Very funny.

Well, I see we play in different leagues; you’re purely visual, aren’t you?
    Your extremely selective cut&paste jobs of my postings should have made me understand it earlier.

You better pick up your nose if you’re bored.

Present for you, dear:
    admire a memorial pic from my Firebird…all DIY, baby

This possibly could be the reason why bikes often fail the light test ?
    There are three inspection lines at the shakensho in Kawasaki, the one for bikes also accepts cars.
    After I changed my bulbs and did the beam setting I had the tenkenbo done at the near bike garage: no prob.
    Testing machine should be dedicated to bikes?

Haynes (ISBN 1-85960-471-4) says:
    For a rough setting proceed as follows:
    Position the bike in a straight line facing a brick wall.
    The bike must be off its stand, upright and with a rider seated.
    Measure the height from the ground to the centre of the headlight and mark a horizontal line on the wall at this height.
    Position the motorcycle 3.8meters from the wall and draw a vertical line up the wall central to the centerline of the motorcycle.
    Switch to dipped beam and check that the beam pattern falls slightly lower than the horizontal line and to the left of the vertical line.

Above is for the UK, perfect, in Japan we ride on the same side of the road.

Present for you, dear:
    admire a memorial pic from my Firebird…all DIY, baby
    Let me guess.... This was your car and it could talk to you