Thread: buying a new bike in 2019, Ktm 790 or Yamaha 700

Default buying a new bike in 2019, Ktm 790 or Yamaha 700

The down side to long awaited bikes (such as these two) is that any post like this is old before the bikes are even on sale. That said, I have weighted patiently and will be buying one of these two bikes when they're finaly available. I will read the ride reviews and make my choice.
    I have done some long distance off road in my time. The plan for the new bike is to ride and explore Japans trails, with some camping along the way. Hopefully there will be other Adv riders out there who would like to get there bike off the tarmac.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10630598_1482361355355398_198962433139263320_o.jpg   1266395_1489733334618200_2088185083550787639_o.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rich 400 View Post
    The plan for the new bike is to ride and explore Japans trails, with some camping along the way.

I reckon both would be too big for Japan's steep, narrow trails.

Many of the super Rindos arnt that super anymore large portions sealed for cars or cut in sections and gated, trails as such are more like logging access, dead ends. The majority not more than 10-20klms. IMO your choice should consider that maybe you dont need that many CCs, unless its mainly for touring. buying is the nads though

Quote Originally Posted by wrk2ride_ride2wrk View Post
    Many of the super Rindos arnt that super anymore large portions sealed for cars or cut in sections and gated, trails as such are more like logging access, dead ends.
    I've been down a few of the super rindos on my Tracer, even one gravel. Nothing your average UJM can't handle in most cases. For anything more difficult than that, I agree, a small dual sport or dedicated off road bike is what's really needed.

Hi sorry for the late reply, I was home in the UK for a month. It is a downer when you have to turn back because a lane is a dead end for some reason or another and I hole heartedly agree that a 250 is the best bike for the job. However, I also want to travel some distance, taking in a tour of Japan at some point as well as using the bike as my daily ride. When the new Africa Twin turned up I just couldn't make myself like the look of it, and a bit like making myself swallow nasty cough medicine, Im trying to put aesthetics aside as its a bike that makes a lot of sense especially the DCT. Im in my 50 with Multiple Sclerosis, so I'll take all the mechanical advantage I can get and I'm am getting rather bored of weighting for these bikes to turn up.

Love that first picture of you and your bike, I guess where you live, sheepskin is easy to come by. What a coincidence to meet a westerner wearing biking gear who was also smoking out in the middle of nowhere. The world is an amazing place.
    I bought a Kawa 250TR recently, its more train style than proper trail bike, but want to take it off road at some point.
    Good luck with your purchace