• 02-07 SV1000

0 0%
  • Something else (make suggestion)

2 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RACEBIKE QUESTIONS

Default RACEBIKE QUESTIONS

Hey all~

I am still alive and kicking, just sitting in my room at 5:30 in the morning in Iraq. It looks like I have my shore duty orders back to Yokosuka when I am done with this tour. I should be getting to Japan around July or August of next year.

I am curious about something. The two classes to race in are the ST600(minor mods) and the open class correct (almost anything goes)? I cant remember if that was all of them. I am debating with myself on what to get once I get there. The big problem is that I would like to stay away from the ST600 (or meatgrinder class) if at all possible but I dont really want to get into racing a 1000cc beast again. I would like to build up a SV650 and turn it into a fun racer but it all depends on what class it would fit into and what mods could be done.
    I am hopefully going to do a few track days in 08 just to get back into the swing and then try to race the 09 season. An SV would be a great bike for the Motegi 7 hour as it is small, light, and gets great gas milage. Plus they are so much cheaper to race than a GSXR, tires last longer, gas lasts longer, everything.
    Another option would to be to use a SV1000, bolt GSXR front and rear suspension on it (bolts right up and I have many sets of those avalible). Then I could play around with the engine as I saw fit, dont have to worry about the crazy power of the IL4's. The SV650 would be good for Tsukuba and ebisu but defianatly suffer at tracks like motegi, fuji, and suzuka where the SV1000 would fare better.
    I have done some reading on both of them and they both make great, cheap, fun race bikes. The 650 would teach me more I think as I can only get 75hp max out of it with engine mods so I would have to learn to corner better.

Opinions?
    No I dont want a BMW or any other Euro trash bike. Trying to stay away from honda and yamaha if possible.

Can someone post up some yahoo japan auctions of the SV650/1000 I would appriciate it. For some reason I cant get the babel fish translator on alta-vista to work here and I cant find another one.

Thanks guys!!! Looking forward to getting back there and see all of you again.

Yahoo search: SV1000

Yahoo search: SV650

Yahoo search: SV400 (because parts interchange with the first gen. 650)

As you'll see, SV's don't come up on Yahoo very often. Not a popular bike here. TL1000S's do come up but, don't go for what I would consider reasonable prices considering when they were made. TL1000R street bikes go for even more than the TL1000S. TL1000R racers seem to be go for reasonable prices, though.

You'd do better to look for a less common bike, like SV's, on goobike.com unless your willing to wait a while for one to come up on Yahoo.

Goobike search: SV1000: Kanto area

Goobike search: SV1000S: Kanto area

Goobike search: SV650: Kanto area

Goobike search: SV650S: Kanto area

Goobike search: TL1000S: Kanto area

Goobike search: TL1000R: Kanto area
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

Try google translation. Always works for me, unlike babelfish.

It's your money and time but if you're looking to be competitive in most any class that I know of, I think you're wasting both.

The SV's don't have a following here so you'll race in classes against straight up race bikes.

Why handicap yourself like that?

If you want to do fun, twins racing, get a used SP1 or SP2 and go MCFAJ racing. I'd pit for ya :mrgreen:
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

Thanks for the links everyone.

Craig, I totally understand what your saying about being competative, but honestly, at the moment being seriously competative isnt a big concern with me. I give up twice the weight to most Japanese racers so that alone puts me behind the power curve. I think for right now, I want to learn to be fast in the corners on a small(er) bike.
    I realize that the SV's dont have a big following in the race community. But looking at other stuff thats out there, they seem to be one of the best options for a small, lightwieght, cheap racer. Plus jsut about everything short of motor is interchangable from GSXR's. I know a guy in hawaii who has a 03 SV650 with a worked over motor (80+hp), GSXR 1k front end, GSXR 600 rear end, and a few other things and he stomps the shit out of almost everyone there. Runs circles around them on the tight twisty track.
    But on the other aspect of it, the chances of being even somewhat competative are slim to none.

I do plan on doing mainly MCFAJ races, that being said, the soon to be wife is all about going to the track as long as I take her. She wants to help me out with translation and everything so that is great.

If anyone else has an idea please post it up here and let me know...

the bigger the bike the less the weight of the rider counts.

do what makes you happy.

What's up, Dumper? How long are you expecting to stay in Japan? Multiple tours or just one?

There's a chance I could be back at either Atsugi or Misawa, but I won't know for another three and a half years or so.

About the bike, would this pull double duty as your streetbike or just track only? If I come back, I'll still have the DRZ, so if you still have your KDX, we can do some more off-roading. I think I might give supermoto a go if I come back.

Did you take the CPO exam this year? I didn't
    --------------------------
    DRZ 480

Funny you should talk about the SV, I recently got one for playing around at trackdays. With Ohlins shock, revalved/resprung forks w/Race Tech emulators, and Pirelli SuperCorsa Pro DOT race tires, it's the bee's knees in the bendy bits. Gets killed in the straights though. :mrgreen:

The SV is a very popular racebike in the States, but since it's unpopular in Japan I would get something else. Along with the uncompetitive aspect of racing it against four-cylinder 600s, there's also the lack of spare parts aspect, and those are two headaches no one needs.

Whats up dennis~

As of right now I am only doing one tour in Yoko but we will see what happens when I am up for orders after that. I am going to ATG for 3 years but I have three schools I have to go to before I even get there. Plus I have to finish this IA tour so I am looking at being in Japan in the middle of 2008.
    I didnt have to take the CPO exam becuase I was exempt from taking it and am automatically board eligable due to me being deployed to Iraq. Same goes for next year with the CPO exam. I doubt I will make it this year, I have alot better chance next year.

I am thinking of possibly getting a SV1000 due to the fact I can race that in the open class. Its a cheaper bike, can get ok power from it, and the rules wouldnt stop me from swapping on all of my GSXR/Ohlins suspension, brembo brake system, ect that I already have with multiple spares.
    This would be a track only bike. I will end up getting another bike for street use (probably an older GSXR1K). I still havethe KDX and dont plan on getting rid of it unless its for a 4 stroke although I have the KDX set up just how I like it. It pulls like a 4 stroke from the entire power band, it has KX suspension, now on pre-mix, FMF pipe and silencer, and a few other items to help it along, I love the bike. I can beat it and it still wont give up. I havent re-built it since I have had it and I definatly havent been nice to it, thats for sure.

Other than craigs suggestion of an SP1/SP2 does anyone else have any other suggestions. I am not worried about spare parts since I will most likely modify it what ever it is. I would perfer to stay with suzuki as I like there bikes and I have ALOT of spares and performance parts.

Quote Originally Posted by extremachn1
    Other than craigs suggestion of an SP1/SP2 does anyone else have any other suggestions.
    An GSX-R600 is my choice if you can't leave the Suzuki fold. The SV1000 is heavy and underpowered, needs work. The GSXR only needs gas. :mrgreen:

so let me get this straight. you want to buy a slow, not built for racing bke. so you can drop loads of money on it and still be outpowered everywhere. and battle away in the open class, where evryone is running sub 2.06s and putting out 160+ BHP.

sounds like a great plan. especially if your looking for an excuse to be slow.

That sums it up.
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

You are not to right... As for the slow part, yes thats true. I want a bike that will force me to be smoother and faster in the turns, once I get there I can worry about getting a faster more purpose built bike. I dont really need an excuse to be slow, I already am. I was running 2:10's on a set up GSXR, and I cant remember what my fast time was at Tsukuba and fuji (but they werent fast). With my 1K I was relying on the raw power and all out acceleration to make up for being slow in the corners.

I want something that will make me learn how to be fast in and out of the turns. Being fast on the straights is easy. A 600 is not a bad choice except for the fact that it is absolutly packed. Thats the bad thing about racing in Japan. Not many classes to choose from.

The loads of money isnt really true. I have alot of extra GSXR parts that will bolt directly onto theSV650/1000 so the only thing I will really have to buy is exhaust and fuel managment systems. Everything else will come from my GSXR parts. Plus the bikes are easier/cheaper to maintain. Easier on gas, tires, repair parts.

The SP1/2 is an option, so is a GSXR1K still. I finally will have the time, money, and support to try racing on a regular basis. I want to learn instead of trying to struggle on a bike well beyond my skill level like I did last time. I think I would perfer to race the open class as it wasnt as cut-throat as the 600 class was. Is it still that way?

sounds like your mind is made up.

running 2.10 in open will just be embarrasingly, race by yourself, getting lapped and buzzed slow.

nothing to learn there.

and as for going fast in the straight being easy. well thats baloney. being fast in the straights is what riding a 1000 is all about. and that requires opening the throttle early, which requires a good smooth line through the corner, which requires a correct entry at the correct speed, which requires smooth braking.

nothing that cant be learned on a 1000cc bike and nothing that will be easier to learn on a bike with a frame or swingarm not made for racing, and an assortment of old aftermarket parts in various states of repair.

if youre serious get a serious bike. if your not serious dont run in the open class.

my advice is to sell or your old gear, and put that money towards a new K8 or maybe better the new CBR which is looking running around the same horsepower as the K7 and being much lighter than the current model CBRs. leave it bone stock, besides maybe changing the spring rates. and race in super production(motegi), the tourist trophy(tsukuba), or TC formula(tsukuba).

all classes that have a good range of speeds so there are people to dice with and learn off, as you progress with your new bike.

Or just stick to your plan to get an SV650 and hammer away at Yamanashi Sportsland till you beat blob's record there ;)

The thing about the SV650 and SV1000 is they are streetbikes, and not designed for racetrack use. To race these against bikes that *were* designed for the racetrack is not for the faint of heart. And would be very frustrating, which doesn't help anybody's learning curve. You would be getting beaten by people who are crap riders compared to you, but they have proper competetive equipment. That's pretty damn annoying!

You gotta adapt to whatever rules and classes are featured by each different racing organization. Find a bike that fits in, and go for it. Go hang out at the track, watch some more local races, and make a bike decision when you have a better feel for the race classes you want to compete with.

Thats what I am talking about... Good post blob...

No, my mind isnt made up, just been reading about alot of racers who have gone the way of the SV and loved it. I obviously have a year + to come up with what I want to do.

How often do they hold the super production, TT, and TC formula races? Also what is held at Fuji?

If I go the route of a GSXR I will most likely go with a 06/07 1K.

Or I could go with a 01-04 1K with a slightly worked engine and then all of my aftermarket parts will bolt right up.

I will most likely avoid honda's like the plauge. They are good bikes but I hate working on them and I think they are the most over-engineered bikes out there (short of my BMW's). Plus I have never felt right on them or the yamaha's I have ridden. The kawasaki's and suzuki's have always just felt right.

I did really enjoy the 1K. Who knows, I guess with limited racing leages there then even to run mid field I need a somewhat competative bike.

Maybe I can get the SV 1K and make a killer road bike, just bolt on my 02 1K parts to it... We will see...

Or you could just get the SV650 and race the clock and other gaijinriders at Yamanashi. Then have fun touring on the way home.

What ever bike I get it will be a purpose built bike, track only.

I will have a seperate bike for street duty!

you can race once or twice a month with those races i mentioned. you cant race in SP, or TT with Ohlins forks, or a yoshi triple, or yoshi linkage.

you modify your bike with major visible geometry altering parts you are limiting yourself to the open races. ie

JSB, open at motegi, fuji has an open class as well. and TC formula.