Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP Assen

Default MotoGP Assen

Wow what a great race that one was!

are they showing the races in the US on the normal channels these days? They were all good races, but this week GP takes the cake. If Rossi didn't pull those kinds of rides so often it would be much more amazing!! Don't know about the new color schemes on the the bike, seems to coincide with Gay pride week...

We are getting three races this season shown on CBS, one of the 'big 3' television networks in America. Pretty cool to see MotoGP get a bit of star treatment. Commentators are Kevin Schwantz and some car racer commentator who seems a bit lost at times but he tries.

The rest of the races are on Speed Channel, which is cable/satellite only.

The MotoGP Assen race came on at 11 a.m. (Pacific) on CBS this fine Saturday morning, great way to start the weekend. :mrgreen:

Amazing to watch, sit back and think........ how the f$@k does he do it? great stuff.

Don't know about the new color schemes on the the bike, seems to coincide with Gay pride week...
    That color scheme was only for that race to coincide with the release of Fiats new car, some car that was popular in 60s or something, making a come back
    "He who conquers himself, conquers all"

Rossi is the best, no doubt but that race was not the best.

Rossi hunted Stoner down and hung on his tail until he saw his effort to pressure Stoner was:
    A. Not going to make Stoner crash (huge points gain)
    B.

B doesn't matter. Rossi hunted him, had the faster laptimes and had the race in the bag.

Good fun but not a great race. I am happy for Nicky, though
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

Quote Originally Posted by Solo
    What's a "great" race? "Went to Tsukuba for the 43rd time, didn't go as fast as I wanted, didn't win?" :badgrin:

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dino
    What's a "great" race? "Went to Tsukuba for the 43rd time, didn't go as fast as I wanted, didn't win?" :badgrin:
    No, that's an assenine race.

i didnt watch it but i had the live timing going on my computer at the time.... :roll:
    but watching the lap times was interesting. a very one dimensional view!!

rossi ran consistantly in the 1.37.5 region until he caught stoner. (consistant 1.38..s). then hung on his tail until 3 laps to go. passed him and returned to the 1.37.5s.

it seemed very well planned and executed. he got stoners pace, worked out where to pass him, then waited till the very end so stoner would have the least chance of staying with him. all very much typical Rossi!

what a great rider he is 8)

think ill check it out on you tube later...

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Dawg
    No, that's an assenine race.
    Are you charging windmills in wooden shoes carved out of trees fed by dikes?

Rossi was utterly magnificent in that race. He started 11th, didn't get a great start, but it didn't matter...he just picked everybody off one by one. Against the best riders on the planet. Wow, just wow. Why is he so much better than everyone else?

Rossi hunted Stoner down and hung on his tail until he saw his effort to pressure Stoner was:
    A. Not going to make Stoner crash (huge points gain)
    You honestly think Rossi was trying to pressure him into crashing? Maybe he was pressuring him into just making a mistake..... like run a bit wide.

When you are confident it's easy to ignore pressure (or knowing you can just pass again on the straight) and in that, good luck Casey.

Yeah, it was cool to see snoop daddy/ trick dog/ Kentucky child, up there again.

what a great rider he is
    Since he joined the premier class in 2000 there has been 123 races held, Rossi has been on the podium for 97 of those races and 61 of them were 1st. Now take into account going from 500cc two strokes to 990cc four strokes changing teams, then 800cc all within that time and then crashes with injuries and mechanical failures, that's a pretty good record in any sport.

Pete.

I am happy for Nicky, though
    Me too. But do you guys think it's time for Nicky to move to WSB? Maybe have one of Honda's Tenkata guys trade with Hayden? Might be better for everyone.
    Don't Panic

I'm wondering if you guys in Japan saw the same post-race interviews that CBS ran here in the US. The broadcast wrapped up with Nicky Haden busting on Kevin Schwantz's "nice jacket". Kevin was off camera, but I could just imagine him smiling and giving Nicky the middle finger.

Tough luck for Vermeulen. That guy is a good rider getting paid a fraction of his teammate's salary, and he gets taken out from behind in a chicane.
    All those who wander are not lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dino
    We are getting three races this season shown on CBS
    I know about the July 15th race from Germany, but what's the third race CBS will broadcast?

I don't think Rossi just hung on to Stoner until 3 laps to go. Hayden was closing from behind, plus what the laptimes probably don't show was that Rossi attempted a couple of serious passes before he succeeded but Stoner blocked him out ... passes serious enough for Rossi to run wide and have to work around half a lap to get right on top of Stoner's tail again.

It was an amazing race and one of Rossi's best. To come from 11th place on the grid with a mediocre start to win when Stoner seemed to be home and dry with a long lead ... not to mention the mental/confidence/emotional aspect of the race. Stoner's face on the podium! Stoner's expresion and body language looked like he'd totally resigned himself to coming second in the championship after that race. The rest of the season will tell us the answer, but just one of Rossi's many talents is to work the mental game on his opponents.
    So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
    -- Bertrand Russell

B/t/w, did you guys see the pre-race interview with Nicky Haden? When they got to the topic of Nicky's poor performance this year, Nicky replied by blaming the bike! Even if it was a fair critisicm, I couldn't help having deja vu of the Max Biaggi days at Honda. Nicky complained that the new bike had not been designed for him, even though he is the world champion. Then who was it designed for--Pedrosa? Kevin Schwantz commented that Nicky has suffered from poor consistency, especially in the rain.

Nicky Hayden was never that great. He won how many races last year? His home race and ... erm! was that the only one?

I think about it this way: there is a great deal of luck in MotoGP. You've got crashes (your fault or not) and lucky escapes. You've got weather, bike development and tyre selection problems. You've got form and confidence coming and going, etc.. Now I reckon any one of roughly the top 6 have a good chance at the tournament -before the year begins-. Any year it could be "their season", where a combination of all the above, plus the amazing talent that I reckon the top six or so posess ... and they could win.

Every year when Rossi fights for the championship, he's not fighting Hayden, he's not fighting Stoner, he's not fighting Gibernau ... he's fighting the combined luck and form of the top six.
    So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Nicky Hayden was never that great. He won how many races last year? His home race and ... erm! was that the only one?
    Didn't he win Assens too. Edwards crashed/ fell off on the last corner of the last lap and Hayden won.

Did you notice that both Stoner and Hayden ran out of fuel on their victory lap. Stoner got lift back and Hayden got a tow from Hopper, a Suzuki towing in a Honda on international tv. I wonder if honda got pissed at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Antkiller
    Did you notice that both Stoner and Hayden ran out of fuel on their victory lap.
    Talk about cutting it fine. Reminds me of a certain ROcketjockey a couple of years ago!
    -- Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    I know about the July 15th race from Germany, but what's the third race CBS will broadcast?
    We already had two races shown on CBS, Catalunya and Assen, so Germany is the final big-time TV showing. All the other races will be on Speed Channel, which shows all the WSB and AMA Superbike events too.

I agree this Rossi come-from-way-back win may very well shake Stoner's confidence. He had a huuuge lead and it didn't matter, the Doctor was in.

The Hayden comment was hilarious, he vexed his annoyance that the world champion was forced to ride a bike designed for someone else. :mrgreen:

To be fair, Honda probably starting developing the 800 for Pedrosa long before Hayden jumped out to his big points lead last season. This is the worst GP season for Honda I can ever remember....they still haven't won a race!

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer
    Talk about cutting it fine. Reminds me of a certain ROcketjockey a couple of years ago!
    Another storming ride from teh BLob.
    BLob, I don't know how much you know about PETA
    etc etc...

whats with the double capital thing on peoples names? is that some cool internet thing, to seperate the hyper nerds from the standard nerds?
    because i know you arent erring... :?: