Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    15,997

    Default Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    I noticed that a lot of people here and on auction hide their license plate numbers when they post pics of their cars and bikes. I've done it myself. But when I think about it, all of us drive all the time and we never bother to cover our plates when we park somewhere out in public. Anyone can walk right up and check the number out, write it down, do what ever they want.

    How come we don't worry about that -- no one bothers to hang a towel over their license plate when they park -- but we worry about posting a pic of the plate on the web? Any opinions on this?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    yeah, i gave up worrying too much about it. That said, I tend to take pics either from teh front or avoiding it. For my bike it's not a showstopper for posting a pic.

    But I do avoid posting up pics of other peoples.... just cuz i'm nice. :mrgreen:

    (i'm sure i've done it tho...oops then....)

    I would think most of it is so that people don't find out where you live from your license number. I don't know how easy that is here or even the US. But if you are selling something (especially nice or that parks outside), you don't want people just coming over to take it.

    This is also why if you are showing somebody something you are selling, like a car/bike, that you meet somewhere as opposed to 'just come over and take a look'. That's how I learned to do it anyway.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    15,997

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    I would think most of it is so that people don't find out where you live from your license number. I don't know how easy that is here or even the US. But if you are selling something (especially nice or that parks outside), you don't want people just coming over to take it.
    Yeah, I get the part about not inviting prospective buyers to your home, that's just common sense.

    But about hiding the license plate in pics posted on the Web, my point is people can get the same info from looking at the plate on your bike/car any time you're out in public. Why does it matter when the car/bike is shown on the web, but not when it's parked at a place like Naps?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    There's this funny thing about the cops wanting you to display your plate when it's out in public....

    Hiding it in photos, particularly if they're for auction, is to keep thieves from working out your address from the plate number - even in North America a lot of the thievery rings have contacts in the DMV who will look things up for them.

    There's not quite as much risk in public because it's more likely that someone will be noticed snapping pictures of all the bikes in a lot or writing down plate numbers, but even so, there's always a small risk.

    Guess I'll just have to put a Pitbull Owners of Japan sticker under my plate... until I get a yard and can keep a few pitties in it. Then I'll just pen the dogs up with the bikes at nite ;)
    1312.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    15,997

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin
    Hiding it in photos, particularly if they're for auction, is to keep thieves from working out your address from the plate number - even in North America a lot of the thievery rings have contacts in the DMV who will look things up for them.
    Interesting considering lots of people in the U.S. buy vanity plates because they want to draw everyone's attention. Doubt many people here would even notice someone taking a cellphone pic of a car's or bike's plate in a big parking lot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lurkin in the bushes!
    Posts
    1,303

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    I remember something about not being allowed to show license plate details on Yahoo auctions as part of there privacy policy.

    For myself I'd hate to fill in that partial plate the fuzz got with one of my own snaps. I only give em 3 chances: when I'm comin, as I'm passing and when they are falling behind. :fist: Don't know how many others think the same
    IBA33490

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    It seems to be one of those unexplainable Japanese things. Notice that the tv blurs out the plates even on North American shows, irregardless of wether it's a street shot of anonymous cars or a regular series (which would use fake plates anyway). The wife says 'of course they are unreadable' but can't explain why.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    15,997

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by cmac
    I remember something about not being allowed to show license plate details on Yahoo auctions as part of there privacy policy.
    I've seen cars and bikes on Yahoo auction with the license plates showing

    Quote Originally Posted by cmac
    For myself I'd hate to fill in that partial plate the fuzz got with one of my own snaps. I only give em 3 chances: when I'm comin, as I'm passing and when they are falling behind. :fist: Don't know how many others think the same
    Now that's a good reason but I find it difficult to imagine that cops here would ever take the time to scour the net for pics of a bike they saw do something dodgy. Just tonight I saw a cop run a red so he could keep up with the patrol car ahead of him :roll:

  9. #9

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Just tonight I saw a cop run a red so he could keep up with the patrol car ahead of him :roll:
    did you get his license plate number?? :razz:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    665

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    People are (a) paranoid, and (b) stupid.
    So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
    -- Bertrand Russell

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not where I am not
    Posts
    4,124

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer
    People are (a) paranoid, and (b) stupid.
    I disagree. People are cautious and that is not stupid.

    Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    665

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    People don't do it out of caution, they do it because they see other people do it.

    Like the fucking sweatband on the brake fluid reservoir.
    So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
    -- Bertrand Russell

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: Why hide license plate numbers in photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin
    Hiding it in photos, particularly if they're for auction, is to keep thieves from working out your address from the plate number - even in North America a lot of the thievery rings have contacts in the DMV who will look things up for them.
    Interesting considering lots of people in the U.S. buy vanity plates because they want to draw everyone's attention. Doubt many people here would even notice someone taking a cellphone pic of a car's or bike's plate in a big parking lot.
    Probably not. And that's one way that bike and car thieves here scout their targets - but there is a CHANCE they'll get fingered doing it. Online, especially on auction sites, they can go through thousands of photos an hour looking for plates or address markers, and if a bike is for sale, chances are that the owner isn't riding it. A bike that you see in a parking lot is more likely to not be there if they make a run at it.

    It may be a tad paranoid to blur out yer plates - but it's not stupid.

    As the man said, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being watched.
    1312.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •