Thread: Live to ride, ride to die

Default Live to ride, ride to die

Good website for reminding us to wear good gear, stay vigilant and take it easy when on two wheels.

http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

Default Re: Live to ride, ride to die

I've seen that before. It's pretty strong.

I actually felt sick after clicking this time and checking out the 'latest' couple at the bottom. wow.

Those were some of the most gruesome pictures I have ever seen, but I am undeterred. Anyone that takes the time to learn how to handle their bike, wears the right gear, and rides with the proper level of awareness and caution is not likely to end up in those photos. The sad thing is how rare it is to find riders that do all of those things. I have especially noticed this after moving back to the US. The vast majority of riders wear shorts and T-shirts. Whenever two or more people are riding together, they are two-abreast, rather than staggered. There are LOTS of 17 - 18 year olds riding around on 1000cc sportbikes, since they apparently hand out unlimited motorcycle licenses to anyone that wants one. Putting aside those irritating scooter pilots (the subject of past rants), I seem to remember riders being generally more responsible in Tokyo. The licensing hurdle is certainly part of it, but even the throngs that flock to Izu on the weekend at least wore proper gear. The daily commuters I saw around Tokyo mostly seemed like an alert bunch of people. I realize that animals still run out into the road, mechanical failures happen, lightning strikes, etc., and when that happens you just hope you're wearing your best gear, but if you can limit your risk to those types of events, it is not an overly dangerous activity.
    All those who wander are not lost.

yeah, but, a few of those pics have mangled body parts coming out of their leathers. that's the part that hits me the most. i wear good gear most of the time on the big bikes. the scooter is a bit of a different question.....

but anyway, seeing some of that basically shows that you go down (lowside) and slide across traffic, you are fuct, no matter what you are wearing.

This site obviously has an agenda, so it concentrates on the most gruesome examples. Like anything else, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, it's sobering and certainly food for thought.

I too, remember riding in shorts, t-shirt and no helmet, thinking it was important to look cool.

Wiping out on the track, with good gear and nice gravel, is not quite as scary a thought as messing it up on the road. Be careful out there!
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

Just to drive the point home about watching yourself, we got woken up by sirens this morning.

Talking to a neighbour who saw the accident, a scooter jockey went through a stop sign this morning near my place and was promptly struck by a large truck. The rider is dead, the truck driver is traumatized and is going to get raked over the coals by the cops because somebody has to get charged with something.

Presumably he didn't see the stop sign - I know that that particular one can be easy to miss.

Gotta scan like hell at those uncontrolled intersections...

Two bikes were taken out by a car this morning on Route 20 about 15minutes before Shinjuku.
    Looks like the car came across as they were passing caught the first and the next bike had
    no where to go.

The reaper is out every day and motorcyclists are easy picking. Take care out there.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin
    Just to drive the point home about watching yourself, we got woken up by sirens this morning.

Talking to a neighbour who saw the accident, a scooter jockey went through a stop sign this morning near my place and was promptly struck by a large truck. The rider is dead, the truck driver is traumatized and is going to get raked over the coals by the cops because somebody has to get charged with something.

Presumably he didn't see the stop sign - I know that that particular one can be easy to miss.

Gotta scan like hell at those uncontrolled intersections...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    Two bikes were taken out by a car this morning on Route 20 about 15minutes before Shinjuku.
    Looks like the car came across as they were passing caught the first and the next bike had
    no where to go.

The reaper is out every day and motorcyclists are easy picking. Take care out there.

Jav
    Must be open season on bikes!!!! Take it easy guys!
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

hmmm....i think i'll just go drinking tonight so I have to take a cab home....

Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    Tokyo taxi drivers crash too...quite a bit actually :badgrin:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael

damn. i guess that just leaves me with drinking tonight.

not a total loss..... :drinking:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    One of my Japan pet hates: taxi drivers all disable the seatbelt mechanism so you can't use them ... FUCKING STUPID
    So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
    -- Bertrand Russell

That is a good sight to visit if you want to be paranoid or an anti biker. A couple of people actually sent me that and some other useless links after my accident. THANKS A LOT! :bad-words: Thankfully no one from GR was tasteless enough to do so. Really and truly there was nothing new there for me other than the proof that a camera can reinforce a nightmare or diminish the passion one has for the freedom of riding.

I prefer to learn through positive means. I hadn't seen that sight prior to my accident but I was wearing CE protected leather jacket, carbon reinforced gloves, Non hyper-extension boots, Kevlar jeans with liners and shin protectors with knee-caps. I had been on the lookout for hyper-extension protective knee protectors but didn't find them in time. After the accident I had few scratches, plenty of bruises and a knee that moved in 3 directions. Over the years I've built up the protective gear as I realized it was needed to compensate against the consequences of an increase in skill. Better advice would be if you think you should be wearing some particular protective hardware, don't hesitate. Get it!
    Jim had seen my shin/knee guards prior to the ride and said they looked good but needed more protection around the knee. I stupidly replied "Yeah, I'm still looking but these will do for now"

Here in hospital I'm in the early stages of rehab for the first of 2 surgeries and my passion hasn't waned a bit. I've decided to hit the track to push it harder than I know how and do more ironbutt riding. But the biggest change may come in my approach to riding. I'd stopped the solo riding 6 moths prior to the stack. I love solo riding and will be heading back along that route. Occasionally I'll join the crew for some fun, but to continue to evolve my riding I'll stay where I know I learn best.

Thanks for the rant.

Live life not fear 8)
    IBA33490

Touge Express

craig, what does this mean? "hyper-extension" ?

Quote Originally Posted by cmac
    Over the years I've built up the protective gear as I realized it was needed to compensate against the consequences of an increase in skill.
    Actually, most accidents that are the rider's fault stem from him riding over his skill level, usually the result of a false sense of confidence in his finely honed "skills." Also, the more experience you have, the faster you should be able to judge road conditions -- for example a road riddled with bumps -- to determine the right speed to maintain your margin of safety.

Even if you do a thousand track days and become the fastest guy at Tsukuba or Motegi, you're not going to be able to ride like that on the road because you still have to leave a huge margin of safety for the X factor -- X being what may lie around the next corner.

Anyhow, best wishes for a rapid recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by cmac
    Here in hospital I'm in the early stages of rehab for the first of 2 surgeries and my passion hasn't waned a bit. I've decided to hit the track to push it harder than I know how and do more ironbutt riding. But the biggest change may come in my approach to riding. I'd stopped the solo riding 6 moths prior to the stack. I love solo riding and will be heading back along that route. Occasionally I'll join the crew for some fun, but to continue to evolve my riding I'll stay where I know I learn best.
    Why do you prefer solo rides as apposed to group rides? To avoid pushing each other to go faster? I would think that riding in a group would be safer if you do happen to crash.

I'm glad to hear that you've started with the rehab process. Hopefully you'll get the last surgery out of the way soon, and heal quickly.
    How is the bike doing? Did you repair it back to stock, or?

Good luck!
    Don't Panic

craig, what does this mean? "hyper-extension" ?
    Hyper extension means to rotate out of it's usual range of motion, usually by means of intense speed and resulting force. For example a leg is supposed to go forward and back with a little lateral movement, but in my case that little lateral movement was pushed hard and fast. If the ligaments had have held, I probably would have broken a bone. But they are the weaker link and designed to stretch. However when the forces are beyond anything they can handle they will stretch-extend- until breaking point and then let go-hyper extend.

Quote Originally Posted by throttle
    How is the bike doing? Did you repair it back to stock, or?
    Well I managed to only do 130,000yens damage and have already scored 60% of the rebuild to stock parts at a cheaper price from ebay and yahoo. In some things I'll upgrade and I checked in the shed and saw that Ive almost got enough parts to make a prize-fighter front end. Decisions, decisions. Of course I'll rebuild to near stock but initially I might play around with a face only a mother could love. Oh, and I couldn't avoid fixing somethings that I didn't break, last on my to do list is the rear shock. It also happens to be the most expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by throttle
    Why do you prefer solo rides as apposed to group rides? To avoid pushing each other to go faster? I would think that riding in a group would be safer if you do happen to crash.
    I am glad that I was riding in the GR pack when I had my crash. Some went way beyond the call of duty and lived up to being riders. I agree throttle that riding with others is safer and I'll continue to join group rides for the company. It's just that I had lost some focus and the security of my intuition development. I need to regain that balance.
    I prefer solo rides as I get to settle into a rythm, follow my own random schedule and agenda and work on skills I need to improve. I once spent a 10hr ride just practicing rear braking. Being competitive and enjoying the team atmosphere, when riding with others, doesn't encourage me to concentrate on basic skill development.
    For advanced skill development I'll take it to the track. As one wise track rider I know has told me, you can push it to 100% on the track all the time, every lap without random distractions(barring other riders). I think this must help in knowing what the bike and rider are capable of doing together and building intuitive reactions, to enjoy the ride the most.
    Case in point: I once followed someone, on a same cc dirt bike to my road bike, up a cool hillclimb road on the west side of Izu. Every straight I naturally caught up, but come the corner out went his inside leg, the rear drifted out ever so slightly and the way they both skated around the corner away from me was a joy to see and must have been even better to do. When we finally reached the top he stopped and said something to the effect of 'that last corner was a bit close, I should get back to the track'. I took that to mean he'd drifted out of his comfort zone and needed a tune-up.

I'll be the 1st to admit that I push my limits. When it comes to combustion engines and traction devices I can't let their inherent entertainment value be wasted on tootling around, looking pretty and saving the earth.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

I've decided to hit the track to push it harder than I know how and do more ironbutt riding. But the biggest change may come in my approach to riding. I'd stopped the solo riding 6 moths prior to the stack. I love solo riding and will be heading back along that route. Occasionally I'll join the crew for some fun, but to continue to evolve my riding I'll stay where I know I learn best.
    Even if you do a thousand track days and become the fastest guy at Tsukuba or Motegi, you're not going to be able to ride like that on the road because you still have to leave a huge margin of safety for the X factor -- X being what may lie around the next corner.
    Wise words 8)

Good luck with the rehab! Let us know when you're ready to ride the circuits.
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-