Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: SoftONBank

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not where I am not
    Posts
    4,124

    Default SoftONBank

    Anyone using Softbank for their mobile provider? I am thinking to move my company
    mobiles over to Softbank as Au have boring phones and I want something more spicy.

    By the way was out in the park at the back of my office today. A young lady rode by on
    a small scooter ( through the park, slowly ). She had on a summer black top which was nice and loose.
    As she passed the wind caught it and I was enlightened with the view of a peachy breast with
    a small tattoo on it. Made my day it did.................... 8)

    Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,156

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    I saw a Japanese tourist using one in Guam so it seems they have some that also work overseas.

  3. #3

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    I have vodafone, err, softbank.

    They are all right. I can't speak for 'signal', i hear that others are better. Some of that lies with the fone as well. Anyway, yeah, they have several 3G phones, which will work overseas, etc. I've had no trouble using it in a few countries around asia and in the states.

    The billing is a bit odd for new phones tho. They've got some way to do it that basically you have to pay for the phone over 2 years. You get a monthly charge for it, BUT, as long as you are using that phone, they give you a large credit toward that cost. If you change phones < 2 years, you have to then pay the outstanding balance.

    So that's a bit odd, but not the end of the world. I'm trying it out now.....

    What else do you consider with your choice of fone?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    3,469

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Softbank's our corporate provider.

    They've been good to us, prices are reasonable provided you keep the phones for two years, and the free calls between Softbank sets is a nice bonus.

    The 3G phones are the way to go - not only do you get the overseas roaming, but they also switch between 3G and CDMA networks, so you get increased roaming options.

    The only downside I've found so far is that mail functions cease when you stray into a CDMA only area, but those are becoming few and far between in the metro.
    1312.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not where I am not
    Posts
    4,124

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by theDude

    What else do you consider with your choice of fone?
    TV. Web browsing. Add on Memory. 3G. Overseas use. Camera. Video calls.
    Nice sized screen with good resolution ( now approx 740 * 400 ). GPS & routes if possible.
    English language support. Music player. FM radio. Scheduler.

    Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

  6. #6

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    Quote Originally Posted by theDude

    What else do you consider with your choice of fone?
    TV. Web browsing. Add on Memory. 3G. Overseas use. Camera. Video calls.
    Nice sized screen with good resolution ( now approx 740 * 400 ). GPS & routes if possible.
    English language support. Music player. FM radio. Scheduler.

    Jav
    well, good luck.


    TV doesn't seem to go with 3G. There is one softobanko fone that does it, but the 3G is NOT international 3G. not sure what the deal is there. Most phones do video and have add on memory, except for some of the tiniest.

    Most all 3G have english. But only a couple (toshiba ones and nokia) have english predictive txt. i have learned to live without that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chiba: Bosozoku Shit-House
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    By the way was out in the park at the back of my office today. A young lady rode by on
    a small scooter ( through the park, slowly ). She had on a summer black top which was nice and loose.
    As she passed the wind caught it and I was enlightened with the view of a peachy breast with
    a small tattoo on it. Made my day it did.................... 8)

    Jav
    Yes, summer is here and time for even more flesh to be revealed! :crazyeyes: Might have to take a run over to the beach and see what's laying around.....

    I have a Softbank/Vodafone 3g and it works fine, especially in America and in the UK....however, I often find myself without a signal here because of their poor coverage in Japan. This can be very troublesome especially when your Docomo-using friend has no trouble at all.... :bad-words:
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,156

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by merchantofmenace

    Yes, summer is here and time for even more flesh to be revealed! :crazyeyes: Might have to take a run over to the beach and see what's laying around.....
    Ride to Nishi Izu Saturday?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chiba: Bosozoku Shit-House
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Gotta work....Sunday too! :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,156

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Time to apply for some plush uni jobs!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not where I am not
    Posts
    4,124

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    Quote Originally Posted by theDude

    What else do you consider with your choice of fone?
    TV. Web browsing. Add on Memory. 3G. Overseas use. Camera. Video calls.
    Nice sized screen with good resolution ( now approx 740 * 400 ). GPS & routes if possible.
    English language support. Music player. FM radio. Scheduler.

    Jav
    well, good luck.


    TV doesn't seem to go with 3G.
    Many of the new 3G phones have TV as well. I have the new phone catelogue.

    Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Tokyo, Minato ku
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Softbank's reception has always been lagginig behind. That's why they decided to double the number of antennas which they did. Just too bad that their subscriber base increased so quickly after the introduction of number portability that the reception is now much worse than before. In other words they cannot keep up. I started with J-Phone which became Vodafone and is now Softbank Mobile - and I am now thinking of changing to KDDI (AU)...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not where I am not
    Posts
    4,124

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo
    Softbank's reception has always been lagginig behind. That's why they decided to double the number of antennas which they did. Just too bad that their subscriber base increased so quickly after the introduction of number portability that the reception is now much worse than before. In other words they cannot keep up. I started with J-Phone which became Vodafone and is now Softbank Mobile - and I am now thinking of changing to KDDI (AU)...
    I have not yet had a problem in Tokyo with reception and last weekend I traveled out to Nikko to do some family camping.
    Neither on the highway or mountains around Nikko did I have a problem with reception. But I have no doubts that you are
    correct about the reception area compared to AU. As a business phone, the free calls between our other company phones
    is a big saving. Also the bluetooth, 3G and TV are cool.

    Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,156

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Do you think the bluetooth phone would work with my bluetooth equipped Zumo?

  15. #15

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Do you think the bluetooth phone would work with my bluetooth equipped Zumo?

    should do.... there is a v1.2 and a new v2.0. dunno about compatibility between the two. doubt there is an issue.

    so what would your phone and zumo do talking to each other? does that then feed into some earpiece or something?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,156

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Do you think the bluetooth phone would work with my bluetooth equipped Zumo?

    should do.... there is a v1.2 and a new v2.0. dunno about compatibility between the two. doubt there is an issue.

    so what would your phone and zumo do talking to each other? does that then feed into some earpiece or something?
    Not sure what bluetooth version it is but the manual says that when you get a call, you just have to touch the zumo screen to answer it if you have the ear speaker hooked up.

    http://www8.garmin.com/specs/zumo500_550_spec.pdf

  17. #17

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    that's cool. should be fine. zumo is being a nice middleman for you to hear the phone.

    wonder if my mac can do that. or else i have to switch my headset between the phone and the mac.

    anyway, should probably start a bluetooth thread there....


    Jav, you buy a phone yet?

  18. #18

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    TV doesn't seem to go with 3G. There is one softobanko fone that does it, but the 3G is NOT international 3G. not sure what the deal is there
    Think is more to do with their Global Roaming Service. Not all those phones are multi-band radio which will make the singleband 3G phones useless when roaming on GSM/GPRS networks of their roaming partners, as not all parthers have 3G deployments.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    I want something more spicy.
    How does this Aussie Special Edition Multimedia Package grab ya? The Chopper.....Spicy enough?

    No? Well, ok.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not where I am not
    Posts
    4,124

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    I have TV on my Softbank 3G phone. End of issue.

    Chopper Read ( the criminals criminal ). I enjoy his books. Read any of them? Totally entertaining. Amazing how quick he
    got out of prison after he became a celebrity.

    Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

  20. #20

    Default Re: SoftONBank

    Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    Chopper Read ( the criminals criminal ). I enjoy his books. Read any of them?
    Not yet. Someone just recently sent me a spoof vid of Chopper-AirportSecurity, never heard of him before that so looked him up on wikipedia.....now thats one very colourful character ;)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •