Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nakatsugawa Rindo touring

Default Nakatsugawa Rindo touring

Anyone interested in riding Nakatsugawa rindo that runs from Chichibu near 299 toward Nagano this Saturday? About 20km of the road is unsealed, but judging from pics the road is very well-kept and any kind of bike could make it no problem.
    You can see pics here
    http://park19.wakwak.com/~firstclass/ya ... ugawa1.htm
    http://www.rindo21.com/sikoku/kouti_nakatukawa/
    http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/7l2lkr/drive1.htm
    http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~osic/tabish ... akatsu.htm
    http://www.geocities.jp/it4k_knd/sub2-s ... indou.html

Here's a map
    http://www.mapion.co.jp/c/f?el=138/42/5 ... ze=500,500

Default Re: Nakatsugawa Rindo touring

About 20km of the road is unsealed, but judging from pics the road is very well-kept and any kind of bike could make it no problem.
    I've been on that road a few times, usually coming from Nagano side riding into Saitama. While it is an easy ride on a dirt bike, I wouldn't recommend riding any bike on it. But what the hell give it a go, just take a puncture kit with you.

Gotta get my DR back on the road.
    "He who conquers himself, conquers all"

Quote Originally Posted by Antkiller
    About 20km of the road is unsealed, but judging from pics the road is very well-kept and any kind of bike could make it no problem.
    I've been on that road a few times, usually coming from Nagano side riding into Saitama. While it is an easy ride on a dirt bike, I wouldn't recommend riding any bike on it. But what the hell give it a go, just take a puncture kit with you.

Gotta get my DR back on the road.
    One of my best memories of my trip to Hokkaido in 2001 was how I was cruising down a similar forest road on my CRM thinking I'm a tough adventurer when suddenly from the other direction comes some guy on a ZXR400 race replica going about twice as fast :( That's when I realized that as long as the roads are dry it's really the rider, not the bike. Last year, Jav, Satoshi and I took our Harleys on a rutty forest road over a mountain in Yamanashi, no problem at all 8)

These pics make it look easy peasy.

I know what you mean. Just saying, experience tells me, it pays to have a puncture kit with you when going on roads like these with normal road tyres.
    I have done this road you are planning to do on a honda steed 400, but I also did that road that you guys did a few weeks ago in Yamanashi, maybe R18 off R52? all the way over the minami alps to Nagano on the steed too. :bday:

To the Gaijin ride public, it is great ride, one of my favorites, you never never know, if you never never go :razz: .
    I would go with you if I was in town, next time.

Pete.
    "He who conquers himself, conquers all"

Quote Originally Posted by Antkiller
    I know what you mean. Just saying, experience tells me, it pays to have a puncture kit with you when going on roads like these with normal road tyres.
    Good advice and I always do carry one.

I've taken Harleys on dirt roads too. They're actually better than many touring bikes, because of the low centre of gravity. But I can't say it was a pleasant experience, and I wouldn't want to do it on purpose.

We were fine on the asphalt

But 20 km of this crap was no fun!
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

Damn, riding around a construction site for 20km? LSD sure can mess with your mind! :infinity: Anyhow, that's loose dirt, not hard-packed dirt and gravel like Nakatsugawa and most other forest roads here.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Damn, riding around a construction site for 20km? LSD sure can mess with your mind!
    LMAO
    :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Damn, riding around a construction site for 20km? LSD sure can mess with your mind! :infinity: Anyhow, that's loose dirt, not hard-packed dirt and gravel like Nakatsugawa and most other forest roads here.
    Yeah, they were repaving the road along the Thai/Laos border. Spectacular sights BTW, but hair-raising ride. Not just loose dirt, but powdered clay, fine as talcum. Like driving on snow.
    Egon

BTW, maybe not many GR members know Thailand well, so it may seem unusual for anybody to tear up 20 km of highway all at once. Any civilised country would tear up small sections, then repave, one lane at a time. But not the Thai. :roll: The farang (gaijin) that live there have a saying: TIT (This is Thailand)

I used to think that the whole country was populated by morons, which is partly true, but the real reason for some of the more bizarre stuff is that they are totally inconsiderate and oblivious of others. Like China, the operating philosophy is "me first" and the rest be damned. :thebirdman:

So never mind the people that use the highway. They'll issue one contract to tear up a road, then, when that's done, they'll issue another for grading, then another for paving, etc. What happens in the meantime, nobody cares.

Another endearing quirk is that when the king or his family go for a drive, they shut the whole highway down and post cops every 200 m or so. Traffic is horrible at the best of times. The traffic jams that this causes are absolutely unbelievable! :roll:
    Egon

Not lived there, but toured for 5 weeks some years back. Had many great adventures
    and good memories.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    Not lived there, but toured for 5 weeks some years back. Had many great adventures and good memories.
    Yes, there are some great rides, especially in the North. The roads along the Laos and Burma borders are particularly interesting.

BTW, it's easy to rent a bike in Chiang Mai, if anybody is interested. It's a worthy adventure and dirt cheap.
    Egon

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    Another endearing quirk is that when the king or his family go for a drive, they shut the whole highway down and post cops every 200 m or so. Traffic is horrible at the best of times. The traffic jams that this causes are absolutely unbelievable! :roll:
    Be careful, if the wrong person sees this post your last time in Thailand will be your last time :badgrin:

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    Be careful, if the wrong person sees this post your last time in Thailand will be your last time :badgrin:
    Yes, you're quite right. Disrespect for the king is a very serious offense there. They've banned Youtube, for one.

Actually, the king is a pretty neat guy. One of the few people that I do respect there. Anyway, I don't think that blocking highways for his convenience is his own idea.
    Egon

Ahem, anyhow, the hijack's been entertaining but now back to business This is a map of the area I'm heading to, near Chichibu. As you can see, there are a ton of excellent twisty roads crammed into this one small area: 299, 71, 462, 140, etc. Nakatsugawa (the squiggly line at H-3) is just a small part of this network. Should be an excellent ride. Can do it Saturday or Sunday, so if anyone's interested, post up which day is possible and we can go then. I'm figuring bring a swimsuit and have a dip in one of those rivers out there as well.

I've gone for a number of car trips in the area, and there are heaps of fun roads.
    Sunday's out for me, but I MIGHT be able to make it on Saturday.
    If it rains, I don't want to be riding the gravel roads; It's just too big a hassle to clean the mud off my sparkling red adventure tourer.
    Don't Panic

Alright, then lets plan for Saturday. Meet up early, get back fairly early. What time works for you? I'm thinking we could either ride up from Rt. 140 in Enzan, meeting up at Danozaka at 7am-ish. Or we could take Rt. 462 from the Kanetsu. Not sure of where we could meet up in that case, maybe the first PA on the Kanetsu?

Sounds a good ride...

might be ok for sunday...

Looks like Scott can make it for sure on Saturday and that day'd work better for me as well on the domestic front. Plan is to meet up at the first parking area on the Kanetsu at around 7am. Will post the name of the PA later after checking the map.

Ok, the name of the PA is Miyoshi. ??PA

So far there's throttle and myself. If anyone else wants to join, post up and we'll see you at 7 AM. Plan is to ride about 8-10 hours, getting back to Tokyo in the late afternoon.