Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Yamaha 660 Tenere

Default 2008 Yamaha 660 Tenere

22 liter gas tank under the seat, bright headlights, decent wind protection, twin Brembos up front, should sell well.

Default Re: 2008 Yamaha 660 Tenere

More pics:

They are certainly competing with Kawasaki for the ugliest dual purpose bike on the planet with that version.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

That styling is dated the moment it rolled off the designers' blueprint. What a f'n ugly bike. :roll:
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

The response at Advrider is overwhelming positive and US riders have already started a letter-writing campaign to get Yamaha to bring it to the states. Personally I love the look, it's fresh and bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    The response at Advrider is overwhelming positive and US riders have already started a letter-writing campaign to get Yamaha to bring it to the states. Personally I love the look, it's fresh and bold.
    Fresh as in fresh out of ideas .............. :badgrin:

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

The engine's the same engine that's been in the XTX/XTR for a number of years. Good engine but nothing new- no EFI, right?

No ABS.

Not sure what is new compared to a 1989 XT 600 Tenere
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Quote Originally Posted by gkanai
    The engine's the same engine that's been in the XTX/XTR for a number of years. Good engine but nothing new- no EFI, right?

No ABS.

Not sure what is new compared to a 1989 XT 600 Tenere

It's a thoroughly modern liquid-cooled fuel-injected motor whose reliability is proven -- an important factor for riders touring Third World countries. An ABS system with an off-on switch for offroad riding would be a nice option, perhaps in the future. Here are the specs:

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/prod ... techspecs#

* Rally raid bodywork
    * 22-litre fuel tank for long-range riding
    * Tough steel frame & aluminium swingarm
    * Range of great accessories available

Engine type Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 4-valve, single cylinder, SOHC
    Displacement 660 cc
    Bore x stroke 100.0 x 84.0 mm
    Compression ratio 10.0:1
    Maximum power -
    Maximum torque -
    Lubrication system Wet sump
    Fuel System Fuel injection
    Clutch type Wet, multiple-disc coil spring
    Ignition system TCI
    Starter system Electric
    Transmission system Constant mesh, 5 speed
    Final transmission Chain
    Fuel tank capacity 22 L
    Oil tank capacity 2.9 L
    Chassis -
    Chassis: Steel tube diamond shaped
    Front suspension system Telescopic forks
    Front travel 210 mm
    Rear suspension system Swingarm (monocross)
    Rear travel 200 mm
    Front brake Double disc, Ř 298 mm
    Rear brake Single disc, Ř 245 mm
    Front tyre 90/90-21 M/C
    Rear tyre 130/80-17 M/C
    Dimensions -
    Length 2,246 mm
    Width 865 mm
    Height 1,477 mm
    Seat height 895 mm
    Wheel base 1,505 mm
    Minimum ground clearance 245 mm
    Dry weight 183 kg

So basically you are agreeing with gkanai, that it is the same engine.............

Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    So basically you are agreeing with gkanai, that it is the same engine.............

Jav
    Yes, and let me add that motor was first introduced in 2004, making it newer than the DRZ's lump :razz:

New 660 cc liquid-cooled engine

Yamaha's all-new fuel-injected single cylinder engine has been designed to deliver massive torque in the low- to mid-speed range, making this a truly versatile machine that excels in a very wide range of conditions. Running with bore and stroke dimensions of 100 x 84 mm, the compact new powerplant is the most advanced big single ever produced by Yamaha, and in technological terms the 660 engine is a generation ahead of the air cooled design featured on the XT600E. The priorities of the design team were to produce a compact, efficient and relatively lightweight engine that would deliver massive low- to mid-speed torque across a wide operating range, and would also comfortably surpass EU-2 emissions regulations.

The new motor is equipped with a fuel injection system which delivers increased performance with exceptional throttle response, and this efficient new system also plays an important role in reducing emissions to levels well below those set by EU-2 standards. For highly efficient intake processes a long 82.1 mm injector featuring twelve holes feeds the precisely controlled fuel supply via a big bore 44 mm throttle body into the newly designed cylinder head.

NEWLY DESIGNED CYLINDER HEAD

Complementing the fuel injection system is a newly designed cylinder head that offers higher levels of intake and exhaust gas flow efficiency. The new SOHC 4-valve head runs with large diameter 38 mm intake valves and 32 mm diameter exhaust valves, with both pairs of valves angled at 20 degrees for optimal efficiency.

In addition to these performance enhancing designs, the engine’s friction-related power losses are minimised by the use of roller bearings in the rocker arms, making this new SOHC cylinder head one of the lightest, most compact and most efficient in the class.

Yes, and let me add that motor was first introduced in 2004, making it newer than the DRZ's lump :razz:
    Yamaha new motor 48hp

Jav's home built motor approx 55hp. Err em, I think I'll keep the DRZ lump as its much less of a lump than
    the 660................ :badgrin:

Jav

Yamaha new motor 48hp

Jav's home built motor approx 55hp. Err em, I think I'll keep the DRZ lump as its much less of a lump than

Jav
    Up for some dyno runs at Kenso? :razz:

Yamaha new motor 48hp

Jav
    Up for some dyno runs at Kenso? :razz:
    Sure. You buy and bring the Tenere and we can have a shootout............................ :badgrin:

I would expect the 660 to be 40 to 45 real bhp at the rear wheel. I would expect my DRZ to be about
    50 at the rear wheel. Plus that 186KG dry weight, geesh who wants to be picking that up...... :roll:

Jav

Plus that 186KG dry weight, geesh who wants to be picking that up...... :roll:

Jav
    Horses for courses. The Tenere's not a woods bike. It's designed to carry one or two people and a pile of luggage long distances over rough sealed and unsealed roads so Yamaha put priority on strength and durability. The under seat gas tank should keep the CoG low and handling light.

My KTM 640 Supermoto is 149KG (dry)
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Again horses for courses. Your bike has a single front brake, a little plastic headlight, a 12 liter fuel tank and I imagine the frame isn't designed to bear much weight beyond a rider and a passenger.

Buyers who choose the Tenere over a comparable KTM Adventure 640 (158kg) should save about 6 grand or so. That'll help fund a lightweight aftermarket exhaust and handlebars, not to mention a trip around the world :razz:

Again horses for courses. Your bike has a single front brake, a little plastic headlight, a 12 liter fuel tank and I imagine the frame isn't designed to bear much weight beyond a rider and a passenger.

If you want to try a braking comparison on asphalt from 100 km/hr. with 'your' Tenere and it's 21 inch 90/90 tire vs. my KTM's 17 inch 120/80 Pirelli Scorpion Sync and the OEM Brembo with Brembo master cylinder, (not to mention the upside-down 48 mm WP forks my KTM has) I'll be happy to bet you that my KTM stops faster, even with one semi-floating disc.

The new Tenere looks horrendous, especially that exhaust, but I'm sure it'll be good for what it's designed for. I'd prefer a KTM because they use better quality parts from the factory, but they cost more. KTM will be releasing a new ADV bike with the EFI 690 engine, it's just a question of when.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

If you want to try a braking comparison on asphalt from 100 km/hr. with 'your' Tenere and it's 21 inch 90/90 tire vs. my KTM's 17 inch 120/80 Pirelli Scorpion Sync and the OEM Brembo with Brembo master cylinder, (not to mention the upside-down 48 mm WP forks my KTM has) I'll be happy to bet you that my KTM stops faster, even with one semi-floating disc.

The new Tenere looks horrendous, especially that exhaust, but I'm sure it'll be good for what it's designed for. I'd prefer a KTM because they use better quality parts from the factory, but they cost more. KTM will be releasing a new ADV bike with the EFI 690 engine, it's just a question of when.
    You keep comparing apples and oranges. Sure your road bike might be able to stop faster than the Tenere, which has dual Brembo front brakes and a Brembo master cylinder. All that means is that your tires are wider and stickier.

Looks are entirely subjective. You don't like it, others do.

I agree KTMs are fine bikes but they do have reliability issues and parts availability issues. If I was traveling from here to Europe and I had the choice of either the Tenere or the KTM Adventure, I'd take the Yamaha simply because I know it'd get me there without breaking down. And in the unlikely instance that it did have a problem, Yamaha has a worldwide dealer network that can handle it.

If I was traveling from here to Europe and I had the choice of either the Tenere or the KTM Adventure, I'd take the Yamaha simply because I know it'd get me there without breaking down. And in the unlikely instance that it did have a problem, Yamaha has a worldwide dealer network that can handle it.
    Yes, but you ride a TDM.......................................... :mrgreen:

Jav

If I was traveling from here to Europe and I had the choice of either the Tenere or the KTM Adventure, I'd take the Yamaha simply because I know it'd get me there without breaking down. And in the unlikely instance that it did have a problem, Yamaha has a worldwide dealer network that can handle it.
    Yes, but you ride a TDM.......................................... :mrgreen:
    Priceless
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458