Thread: Realistics costs for a transporter...

Default Realistics costs for a transporter...

What is a realistic cost for a race transporter?

It seems that you can get a Toyota High Ace (the quintessential utility-purpose One-Box) for less than 200,000 yen... and I've seen some one-boxes for less than 90,000...

What kind of condition would it be in for $2,000 US?

And how much would it cost to get it inspected (if it comes with no shaken or minimal shaken left), and how much would insurance cost per month if it's only used occasionally?

(let's assume it has a month of shaken left, and you're mechanically inclined enough to fix just about any problems)

Does anyone know if they make a "camper" version of a the XXX-Ace family? Or would you have to put that stuff in yourself (if you want to save on hotel costs)? I saw one on Top Gear a week or two ago, and that it was kind of neat...

Also, would a full-sized model (6-7 seater) be required (or suggestible) for a single bike/kart, or would a typical (five-seater) size suffice?

Default Re: Realistics costs for a transporter...

i got a stepwagon, with no seats and a yearly shaken cost of around 30,000yen. for 300,000. ive had it for two years now without a single drama.
    vans are cheap, parking isnt!!! you can expect to pay upward of 25,000y a month in the city, getting cheaper the further you live away from central tokyo.

the stepwagons are a bit small but i fit everything in there, including bike, generator, spare rims, tools, riding gear. they also have the advantage of driving more like a car than the average van, and also have you seated behind the engine, which is better for safety.

only two seats though (in mine) but having seats in the back would cut into your gear storing capacity quite badly.

hiaces are the standard for space and passenger carrying ability, but they are more expensive.

Insurance costs aren't determined by frequency of usage. They will drop every year though if you don't have a claim.

If you're in Tokyo you need a gasoline motor. No idea if/when surrounding prefectures will follow suit. The most common pop-top vans are Mazda Bongos. Check for them here. http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/20 ... -leaf.html

Nice Stepwagn here for a couple grand.
    http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u19420843

Wow, there's like 100 times as many Stepwagons as there are High Aces...

Not to mention the prices start at like 40,000 yen...

Something must be really unpleasant about a car if it's only worth 40,000 to the seller.

There are probably a lot more stepwagns out there than high aces because the honda's a family car and the toyota's more of a work van. Don't let the low prices dissuade you, there's not much of a market here for older secondhand cars so you can get amazing deals.

Here's a rare stepwgn with a poptop. Also has a side awning.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b83926789

I think I saw something similar at Barber Motorsports Park a few weeks back... (besides also seeing my first motorcycle wreck in person...)

That's basically a folding one or two-person tent on the roof, right? I think I saw a ladder on the one that was mounted on a jeep at Barber...

Or am I thinking of something else?

An awning is definitely a nice feature for something that would probably be part transport, part sleeping place...

I already know from experience that sleeping in a one-box is an extremely unpleasant experience (I did it once in Chiba with the NU Auto Club...) unless you have a proper thing to lay down on.

I know the used car market generates a lot of cars with very low prices, but... I wonder at what point you should be worried that it's too cheap. Ideally, I'd want the car to have cruise control too...

On another subject, how much would you have to pay for a small folding awning? I swear I saw a list price for a larger heavy-duty one for like 100,000 yen or more.

But you can buy a small one at Wal-Mart here for like 70 bucks...

Get a Hiace. You know you want it 8) :infinity:

I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

Quote Originally Posted by Spec-R
    I think I saw something similar at Barber Motorsports Park a few weeks back... (besides also seeing my first motorcycle wreck in person...)

That's basically a folding one or two-person tent on the roof, right? I think I saw a ladder on the one that was mounted on a jeep at Barber...

Or am I thinking of something else?

An awning is definitely a nice feature for something that would probably be part transport, part sleeping place...

I already know from experience that sleeping in a one-box is an extremely unpleasant experience (I did it once in Chiba with the NU Auto Club...) unless you have a proper thing to lay down on.

I know the used car market generates a lot of cars with very low prices, but... I wonder at what point you should be worried that it's too cheap. Ideally, I'd want the car to have cruise control too...

On another subject, how much would you have to pay for a small folding awning? I swear I saw a list price for a larger heavy-duty one for like 100,000 yen or more.

But you can buy a small one at Wal-Mart here for like 70 bucks...
    The top tent pops up with the press of a button and can sleep two adults. Entrance is via a hatch inside the van. The nice thing about the pop-top is you can leave the night before, get the night-time ETC discount, have a place to sleep for free and avoid morning traffic jams.

Side awnings are pricey here but usually are very high quality. Look enough on auction and you can find good deals. The Mazda option side awning for my Bongo retails for 108,000 yen but I picked up a used one on auction for just 35,000 yen. Works great.

Cruise control isn't widely available here, probably because the highways are fairly congested.

I was actually referring to those standalone covers (EZ Ups) that people use to cover their bikes/karts to work on them... I guess the term awning would be incorrect.

But good info either way.

The wind-out side awning is very handy. Takes just a minute to deploy/put away and provides a large shelter from the sun or rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec-R
    I was actually referring to those standalone covers (EZ Ups) that people use to cover their bikes/karts to work on them... I guess the term awning would be incorrect.

But good info either way.
    You can pick them up for between JPY10,000 and JPY40,000 on auction. I have one for sale
    at the moment................. :idea:

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav