Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Bloody Speeding Ticket!

Default Re: Another Bloody Speeding Ticket!

Tokyo Safety Ride 10 Road Plan :pol

Route 246
    Nikkokaido
    Kawagoekaido
    Daiichkeihin
    Route 1
    Meijidori
    Kannana
    Kanpachi
    Koshukaido
    Aoumedori

Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

i like that quote Neil!

Quote Originally Posted by ni-kito
    Tokyo Safety Ride 10 Road Plan :pol

Route 246
    Nikkokaido
    Kawagoekaido
    Daiichkeihin
    Route 1
    Meijidori
    Kannana
    Kanpachi
    Koshukaido
    Aoumedori
    Well, that explains a lot. Thanks!

That's why they're nailing us for petty violations that would have been ignored normally.

Be careful out there!
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    That's why I wonder if there's some kind of campaign going on right now. I hear they're all over the Hakone Turnpike too.
    Well, you saw what Neil posted - add that to the year-end propensity to issue more tickets when the budget numbers aren't being met, and you've got a recipe for a lot of unhappy riders.

You know how they pull you over for a pep talk? What if you did not stop and just moved on?
    What can they do? They are more like obstruction of traffic.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Geezer, guess you should change your location tag under your picture/avatar to something more appropriate.....maybe "Ahead of the shirobai by just a few meters" or "Ahead of the shirobai while waiting for my ticket" or "Geezer: shirobai's best gaijin friend"....

Hey, least you got the money to pay these things.....if it were me I would be out of business! :| :| :| :| :|
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

Damn! They say shit happens in 3's Egon but that's just rough. :x

With the "road safety" (remove all taxis and the roads will be very safe!) and the year-end push, then I've been bloody lucky the last couple of days I rode to work... I certainly didn't dawdle. :-" Fortunately my route avoids the named areas.

:idea: Will have to take it very easy this Sunday going down Kampachi to get to the Daisan Keihin.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantofmenace
    Geezer, guess you should change your location tag under your picture/avatar to something more appropriate.....
    You're right. :headbang: Done!

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoBrit
    Damn! They say shit happens in 3's Egon but that's just rough.
    Well, if it's true that shit happens in 3s, then now I have a free pass! Whee!! :blob:

This would be as good as being Catholic. Doesn't matter how much you screw up, all you have to do is confess and you're forgiven ... then you can screw up all over again.
    Egon

Wow, i read this thread for the first time today. Egon, man lay low for a while. They might have your license plate flagged red !
    Its hard to fool and impossible to run away from shirobai I think.

Whats the deal with going between car's. Are they cracking down on that too ?
    The fact that nobody understands you dosent make you an artist !

Well, Egon, looks like you'll have company for the class - I just got a letter from the cops, for my minor accident with the truck in November, I just got handed 5 points for unsafe driving, which really sucks, because it's a new penalty under the most recent revision of the damned traffic code. Add the one point i got back in April for a yellow line, and I got myself traffic school or 30 days.

The deal is that if you take the class and pass a test at the end, they'll pull 6 points off your license - and more importantly, you DON'T get a suspension. If you fail to take the class, or show up late, or don'T pass the test at the end, you get the 30 day suspension.

Class starts at 09:00, finishes at 16:00, one hour for lunch, and a couple of breaks in there, and you can't drive the day of the class.

I am sooooooo going to chew out my damned insurance company - they got on the cops' case because they didn't fill out the extended paperwork at the scene and just used the short form. The short form means you're not getting a ticket. Long form has the space for that... argh.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin
    Well, Egon, looks like you'll have company for the class
    Bummer! :(

Hey, if a few more of us get selected, maybe we can make it a group event.
    Egon

Update - I read it wrong - wifey says that this is the "nearly suspended" letter and that I can actually drive on the day.

So if anyone needs a lift.... :roll:

this is the "nearly suspended" letter
    Wow....creative bureauacracy :crazyeyes:

you think you guys have it bad? i got hit for my first speeding offense here in HK the other day.
    at night on an empty road away from any dwellings by a hidden camera.

they don't even tell me what the points/fee is going to be, just a summons to court.

if i don't make the court date i get arrested.

if i contest the ticket and lose, i pay all legal council fees, court fees and whatever the penalty is gets doubled.

if i contest the ticket and win, i can only get a reduction in the penalty.

i expect to be without a license soon. :( all for doing 50kph over the speed limit
    Drinking drivers--
    Nothing worse
    They put
    The quart
    Before the hearse
    Burma-Shave

That bites, Ras...

I did the traffic school thing earlier this week, and my license is clean now.

If you get the pre-suspension school, you either must be able to read, write and understand Japanese or be able to bring an interpreter with you for the day. You choose which "course" you want, practical at 14,250 yen or community service at 8,250. You get 3 hours of lectures in the morning, then in the afternoon you either get driving critiques and simulator practice (the critiques are actually useful), or you do 3 hours of community service (passing out traffic safety literature at busy intersections). At the end of the day, your license is wiped of 6 points.

Beware: The classroom is hot and the instructor drones, you may get drowsy. Slam red bulls or anything else that'll keep you wired and wide-eyed. One guy fell asleep, and was ejected from the class (with a 30 day license suspension).

Egon, how's yours coming?

That bites, Ras...

I did the traffic school thing earlier this week, and my license is clean now.

If you get the pre-suspension school, you either must be able to read, write and understand Japanese or be able to bring an interpreter with you for the day. You choose which "course" you want, practical at 14,250 yen or community service at 8,250. You get 3 hours of lectures in the morning, then in the afternoon you either get driving critiques and simulator practice (the critiques are actually useful), or you do 3 hours of community service (passing out traffic safety literature at busy intersections). At the end of the day, your license is wiped of 6 points.

Beware: The classroom is hot and the instructor drones, you may get drowsy. Slam red bulls or anything else that'll keep you wired and wide-eyed. One guy fell asleep, and was ejected from the class (with a 30 day license suspension).

Sounds like they've toughened things up. When I did my time in '98 we just had to listen to a lecture for a few hours and that was it.

Oddly enough, there's been no letter at all. Maybe I'm OK. I got 3 points last February, but then had to renew my license in May, with a 2 hour lecture. Maybe that reset the clock(?)

Got another 5 points in December, but if they reset me, then I only have the 5 points. Maybe the losing streak is over. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Egon

If those three points from February were your only three, they expired 3 months later.

You's a lucky bastich!

If those three points from February were your only three, they expired 3 months later.
    Huh? Yes, I only had the 3 points, but I thought it takes one year for points to expire.
    Egon

They covered this in the driving class - if you haven't had any points in the previous year, points expire in 3 months. They still count as having received points, so your 5 points in December will hang around until next December, but no longer count towards your total points.

Apparently you CAN take your license down to your local koban and they can check your point level for you.