Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akita Run

Default Akita Run

I have business in Akita on the 19th. If the weather cooperates, I'll drive up there again, take Friday off and spend 3 or 4 days touring. Already done the middle (Tazawa-ko, etc.) and the NE part (Shimokita), so this time maybe go around the NW side. Already seen Oga Hanto, but never gone any further up along the coast.

Any tips? Anybody interested?
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

Default Re: Akita Run

Went all the way to the very NW tip last year.....I believe it is called TappiZakki....very nice but must be brutal this time of year. :whoop
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    I have business in Akita on the 19th. If the weather cooperates, I'll drive up there again
    Driving up there would probably be ok this time of year. What kind of car?

Quote Originally Posted by merchantofmenace
    Went all the way to the very NW tip last year.....I believe it is called TappiZakki....very nice but must be brutal this time of year. :whoop
    Well, the forecast calls for a high of 10 -12 deg., which seems pretty decent ... :?
    Egon

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Driving up there would probably be ok this time of year. What kind of car?
    No car. All I have is the 2-wheeler.
    Egon

You might want to find out about the windchill factor.....pretty fucking windy there in winter time. :roll:
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

Hmm ... how to strap a windsurfing board to the bike ...
    Egon

You go windsurfing there and we will never see you again..... :razz:
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

You go windsurfing there and we will never see you again..... :razz:
    Good news, hey? :mrgreen:
    Egon

Well, I did it. Seemed a bit early in the year, but I had business in Akita and the weather forecast seemed favourable, so I hopped on the bike and headed North.

18 Mar 2008 (purple)

Blasted up the Tohoku and Akita tollways as far as Yokote, then took R107 through the mountains to Nikaho. Nice weather all the way, but it got a bit fresh in the mountains in the evening.

Still "traces" of snow in the mountains. 8)

19 Mar 2008

Wasted the whole day looking after pesky customers. This job is really beginning to interfere with my fun. :roll: Oh well, at least I got a decent dinner and drinks out of it. :drinking:

20 Mar 2008 (green)

Cmac was in training for the upcoming Goldenbutt, so he caught up with me in Nikaho. He also wanted to show off his newly restored bike, which is now better than ever. Looking good!

We blasted North, towards Oga Hanto, where I wanted to check out this thing that I saw in a satellite photo. Wasn't sure what it was, but it's bloody huge! Ogatamura turns out to be the biggest piece of reclaimed land that I've ever seen. Must be like 15km by 20km. Unbelievable!

Anyway, we had a decent lunch there, then parted our ways. Craig had to get back to Tokyo, so he decided to check out Oga Hanto on the way. I headed North along the coast, which was a nice ride.

Found this neat onsen, right by the sea.

Pleasant driving all the way, ended up in a business hotel in Goshogawara. :drinking:

21 Mar 2008 (magenta)

Headed North on R339, which goes inland, then along the NW coast.

Nice fishing villages along the way.

About 10km from the tip of the peninsula, the road was closed for the winter! Bummer? Not really. This road is so nice that it was a pleasure to go back down again.

Went around the other way, via R12, R14 and R280, all the way to Tappi Point. Pity that the photos don't show it, but I could see Hokkaido quite clearly across the strait.

Then headed back along the coast, towards Aomori. Nice road, more neat fishing villages.

Found another business hotel in Aomori. :drinking:

22 Mar 2008 (green)

Original plan was to head South through Hachimantai, Towada-ko, Tazawa-ko, but I met a biker that told me that the roads are still closed for the winter. So I decided to head down the Pacific coast instead. I was under the impression that the Pacific coast is not very interesting, but that's not true at all! I hit the coast around Misawa, then headed South on R45.

By evening, it was getting quite cold, so I started looking for a hotel. Drove for ages, heading inland on R45, almost as far as Ishinomaki, but no luck. Finally, shivering uncontrollably, I saw a sign for a love hotel in the middle of nowhere. Yes! :drinking:

23 Mar 2008 (magenta)

I really wanted to see the rest of the coast, so I backtracked up R45. It was worth it. Beautiful roads and scenery.

Along the way, purely by accident, I bumped into something pretty neat. A memorial for the last Canadian killed in WWII.

This overlooks Onagawa Bay, where he died.

A bit further down the coast, I bumped into a fantastic skyline road, R220, on a peninsula that I can't pronounce. It's just a bit East of Matsushima.

This road is great! I suspect that this is heaven for riders from the Sendai area. It runs for maybe 20km, full of twisties, no cars, just a bunch of maniacs on bikes.

A bit further along, I bumped into this ship. Not sure what the story is, but it's called the San Juan Bautista.

The next peninsula, Miyato Hanto, is quite nice too. Right above Matsushima.

Next was Matsushima itself, which is one of the 3 most famous tourist sites in Japan.

That's about it. It was time to go home, so wound my way along local roads, got on the Tohoku Hwy. at Izumi and blasted home.

The weather was great, with highs of 13C. Fantastic roads, met some nice people. All in all, a pretty decent first tour of the season. 4 days, 2500km.
    Egon

Nice pics and good to know that the east coast does have some decent scenery.

Guess Cmac was too busy being a Hare to take pics of his trip :badgrin:

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Guess Cmac was too busy being a Hare to take pics of his trip :badgrin:
    Yeah, despite a brace on his leg, he still drives like a maniac. Some people just don't learn ...

Was good to see him chipper again, though. :razz:
    Egon

Way to go Geezer! You had heated gear right? If not how the hell did you do this trip? Must be Canadian eh?

Now I just have to get up that way, fantastic scenery and roads, think I'll wait for warmer weather though.

Thank you for sharing!
    --
    Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
    http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics

looks great! thanks for the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis
    Way to go Geezer! You had heated gear right? If not how the hell did you do this trip? Must be Canadian eh?
    Real men don't need poncy heated gear! :bad-words:

Well, actually there was one night where I could have used some. :roll:
    Egon

Kewl ride report and pics. Hope to head up that way this year some time.
    Looks really nice.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Great pics. Looks like you had a great ride, I can't wait to get up there myself.
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."

Great report! I'm glad to see that you didnt get blown away....ooops! I forgot about your night in the love hotel! ;)

Or maybe you were flying solo??? :roll:
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

Absolutely beautiful pictures, it seems you had a great ride ! was the expressway clear of snow ?
    The fact that nobody understands you dosent make you an artist !

Great report! I'm glad to see that you didnt get blown away....ooops! I forgot about your night in the love hotel! ;)

Or maybe you were flying solo??? :roll:
    :headbang:

Actually, you were right about the stiff breeze up there. Fortunately me and the bike weight about 350kg, so it's not a big problem, but the pucker factor would have gone up a few notches on a lighter bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star
    Absolutely beautiful pictures, it seems you had a great ride ! was the expressway clear of snow ?
    Except for some high mountain roads, all the roads are clear. Still snow on the shoulders, but the asphalt was dry. No worries.
    Egon