Thread: HELP!! Need 2 stroke tuning advice.

Default HELP!! Need 2 stroke tuning advice.

Howzit to anyone out there that can help. I have a CRM 50 in very good order, only problem is that when it hits 60 odd kmh it starts to cut out. I thought it was a speed limiter connected to the speedo so disconneted it and it still happens. Pulls cleanly in all the gears until I change to 5th and 6th, 4th gear topping out is about 60 kmh, and thats where the problem starts. Changed the sparkplug, sparkplug cover and lead today and still has the problem. This is not a gradual slowing down like running out of petrol, it sounds like a limiter of some sort.

My thoughts are: running to rich or lean?
    gearing is too low and maybe struggling in higher gears?
    exhaust and silencer need to be cleaned?
    some kind of engine limiter that I don't know about?
    possible airbox/airfilter problem?

It would be a shame to have to get rid of it as it's a mint as example, and a lot cooler than your average 50cc scooter! I know it can go way quicker than what it does at the moment so any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: HELP!! Need 2 stroke tuning advice.

Do you really want to go any quicker on it?
    Being a Honda though and marketed as a kid's dirt bike it may be reasonable to assume it has a limiter. Might want to check some limiter cut companies like Posh or monkey bike tuners for info.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Don't Panic

Cheers for the help, and of course I want to go faster, doesn't everyone??? It's not really a speed issue, it's just that it's as annoying as sand in your undies!!!!!!!!

Got a Posh super battle CDI and no problem! Or moondai nai as the Japanese say, goes sweet as, got a pro circuit exhaust and fmf muffler coming in a few days, should be good for over 100 kmh hopefully. My mate was following me today on his bike and we hit 90, was just cruising on 80-85?woohoo!!! Thanx to the people that helped me out, it's a bit difficult over here when you don't speak Japanese.

30km/h for only sixty bucks. 8)
    Just think of all the trouble you'll be able to get into now!
    Don't Panic

Yup, reregister it as an over-49cc bike so you don't get nailed for going over the 30 km/h limit or making a right at 4-way intersections.

Just remember that the brakes and suspension weren't designed for that much speed. Things might get too exciting come stopping time :crazyeyes:

Oto-san has already given me the big 'be careful' speech. As well as the wife, for all her moaning and bleating you would think it was a superbike. Theres nothing wrong with improving your machine to make it more usable, and that includes the tyres which are now sticky road ones (handles heaps better!) and the brakes are now braided lines. A good little urban street weapon and always puts a smile on my face on the mountain roads. Bit of a larf, I haven't had a bike under 650cc for about 10 years and this little 50cc one is causing the most discussion!!

I know what ya mean... I have a TDR80 Mini Motard and I love it! I have had it up to 110kph and am now looking in to tuning options... I need to find some one who can rebore my cylinder head to 100cc... LOL