Thread: DRZ Question Again

Default DRZ Question Again

Finally got my license back! 6 months if far too long...

Problem is:

Normally the bike starts and runs perfect, I don't see any power loss or any other issues. However, sometimes (not always) at idle the bike will "search" for idle speed. The engine speed rises and falls in a mostly regular manner. I can often get this to stop by engaging the clutch slightly or revving the engine in neutral. Other times it idles perfectly. Also, if I twist the throttle closed slighty past the natural resting position the engine will cut off.

I have pulled the entire carb out cleaned it and re-assembled and it runs and starts better than before, but this issue remains.

I asked about this once before. I think the advice was that it was probably leaking air into the carb. I think the most likely suspect would be the rubber boot connecting the airbox to the carb. Any suggestions for a fix, check or other?

It has an aftermarket pipe and FCR on it, but the boot seems standard and does not seem to fit quite correctly...

Not the end of the world, but pretty annoying...

Thanks.

Thanks
    Drinking drivers--
    Nothing worse
    They put
    The quart
    Before the hearse
    Burma-Shave

Default Re: DRZ Question Again

I believe when fitting the FCR, the rubber boot on the engine side of the carb and the air box
    side need to be changed to DRZ400E boots. That said it could also be jetting. I have a 41mm
    FCR ( a little too big ) on my DRZ 440 and the jetting is not perfect. It sometimes hunts a
    bit. I think I need to up the jetting ( forget the name of the jet that effects idle ).

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

good tip jav.
    after pulling the thing all apart again, i noticed that the fit was not quite right and under vibration i could see where the engine side rubber connection might allow air in. i have ordered the "E" part and will try to install that before spending money on something more expensive...
    i also read up on the 3x3 mod, might give that a go as well, as it costs nothing and might do some good.

also got a complete set of body panels on order (black 08 model), the ones on there have seen far better days and black looks nicer... :o
    Drinking drivers--
    Nothing worse
    They put
    The quart
    Before the hearse
    Burma-Shave

i have been pretty lazy about things, but i am doing things slowly on the DRZ.

dumb questions but...

if i want to change the jetting do the same physical parts fit the mikuni and the keihin or do i have to find mikuni specific jets and needles?

do the same settings work for both, as in main jet size same for both keihin and mikuni or do i also need to get my base settings from the internet for the mikuni i have?
    Drinking drivers--
    Nothing worse
    They put
    The quart
    Before the hearse
    Burma-Shave