Thread: User Shaken: A guide to doing it yourself (Chiba Shakensho)

Default User Shaken: A guide to doing it yourself (Chiba Shakensho)

Having just gone through Shaken for the first time and somehow managing to pull it off, I thought Id share my experience from start to finish as a bit of a guide for other confused first timers.

Ok, first off I bought my Honda CB400SF-S with 3 months rego left on it. Some bike places wanted Y50-70,000 to do the skaken for it, so thinking this was kinda excessive I decided to do it myself. First I hit gaijinriders and the net in general scraping together all the info I could before getting started.

The first port of call was to made a booking at my local Shakensho, which is in Chiba,
    http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/kensatoro...p/0416.htm
    Getting there was easy thanks to google maps and my memory, but still took almost an hour from my home.

Apon going there in my allotted time, i parked (interestingly there are no bike parking spaces?!) in the car park and went inside the bilding closest to the gate. It was a monday, but it wasnt busy. Note I wasnt asked for my reservation number, but it would be a good idea to have that on you.
    So, here i went to counter 8 and picked up the shaken forms for 25yen.

Next they told me to go to counter 7 where I paid Y6700 (weight tax Y5000, inspection fee Y1300, and something else for y400).

Next she said a bunch of stuff I didnt understand and told me to go to the blue building to pay the Jibaiseki Hoken (insurance). This building is on the street next to the shakensho and is kinda obvious when u look back out the window. So I went there and payed it (y13,400) and recieved a pair of cotton gloves for the inspection. Also here I told the woman that i cant fill out the forms myself so she did and charged me Y1150.

All that was the hardest/most confusing stuff out the way. My Japanese level is low/average, so i was happy to get this far.

Next I was told to go to Building A. Here i went to counter 4 where an ojisan shifted my papers and I gave him my form saying I had no outstanding tax on the bike. Because i just bought the bike i went the week before the city office to get a certificate proving I didnt need to have payed tax on it. This might be called a "nozeshomeisho" but im not sure. Otherwise I assume u would bring your previous tax recept if you owned the bike and payed tax on it previously. The point is either prove you have payed all the taxes owed on it, or that you done need to.

Now you go out and take your bike to the big inspection building (B) and ride up to the motorbike entrance in the middle (approx entrance 4). Here the workers will guide you through the inspection and together you check everyhting off. This included checking operation of lights, winkers, horn, a tacho check, brake checks, headlight check and im pretty sure they whacked my bike with a stick for a bit. For me my bike was all good except for the headlight check, which I failed twice. This was odd in that on the first run the light was set exactly in line with the factory markings on the bracket, but the light beam was judged too high. So i adjusted it purposely lower, and it was, yep, too low. Anyway, its a really fickle test, so bring a few tools with incase u need to fix or adjust something. If u dont have any, i saw in the 1st building which looked like they were for borrowing. Also, note that if u fail something 3 times u gotta pay the inspection fee, or part off again, they were saying y900 to me, but u can come right back and try again after paying it.

Anyway, when that was given the all clear i parked the bike outside the big inspection building and went to a small window in the same building (window 1 maybe, anyway they will tell you) and a guy stamps something then tells you to go back to window 4 of building B again.

So i went back there and as everythings now done they gave me my new sticker and papers and all that was left was to stick it on my number plate.

So there you go, in a lazy 1 hour I managed to get shaken done with a limited amount of Japanese and costing me only Y21,275, saving almost Y30,000 of my best quoted price from a workshop. And I saw those workshop guys too, with their trucks stacked up with bikes who are making a killing out of doing this.

Anyway, the key here, IMO is preperation; get all the papers you need and make sure your bike is in good condition before you go there and it should be easy.

So there ya have it.

Thanks to all the forum members who gave me advice before I did this; it wouldnt have been possible without your help. ;)

Default Re: User Shaken: A guide to doing it yourself (Chiba Shakensho)

Well done on your shaken...
    im sure the bike shops would make a killing if there rent was free and staff don't need to be paid..also free fuel and free trucks from the dealer.... i guess for anybody earning less than 30,000 yen a day its best to go and do it your self...

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbike
    i guess for anybody earning less than 30,000 yen a day its best to go and do it your self...
    No need to worry about missing a day's work. My user shaken took 40 minutes and they open at 8:30 :razz:

Then congrats and thanks a lot for the report!

I gotta do it again next month, oh how 2 years fly by.

Heres an updated link for finding your local inspection center

http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/kensat...yoku/index.htm