Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Known police traps

Default xsxxs

xzxxx

I'll add one: The section of Kannana-dori (the 318) running from the 20 to the 246. Guaranteed you will see the shirobai there on the weekends, and often on weekdays, too:

http://tinyurl.com/9f8s39

The speed limit there is a ridiculous 40, so everyone "speeds" and the cops can pick whoever they like for tickets. If you actually try to go 40, ordinary drivers will honk at you to speed up or get out of the way! Safest bet is to go 50 and stay within the flow of traffic. Don't be the first away from the lights. Also, don't cross the solid yellow line that shows up in various places, or the cops will get you for that, too.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Good idea Blobster

Hakone Toyo Turnpike - Often waiting here for speeders on the hillclimb

On the 1 coming from or going to IZU via the Seisho bypass
    here , here and here they hide off the side of the toll gates

Yellow line hunting shirobai lurks up this side street on Kanpachi.

Heading to Okutama? Look out for this corner and any of the carparks along this road. It's a fantastic road so take a cruise along it 1st to see if it's clear
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Great idea. Also, anyone know if there is an Enlish file for GPSs that contains speed traps / cameras??

I actually got busted for my first ticket yesterday at the Trap at the 三宅坂 trap that theblob mentioned. First time I'd been at that intersection, and was in the center lane.
    Realized a bit too late that I needed to turn so just scooted over into the next lane. Soon as make the turn, sure enough everyone's favorite white bike pulls up behind me and asks if I was lost.

Quite possibly the nicest guy I've ever gotten a ticket from, talked to me for almost 8 minutes about how long I've been in Japan, about my homestay I did in high school and everything o.O
    During that 8 minutes though, just sitting there I saw a freight truck and a car get pulled over, so, as it's getting near the end of the financial year, watch out there!
    One point on the license and 6,000, so not too bad, but still sucks getting docked for something like that.

Good luck everyone! :P

maybe its worth stickying this???

Quote Originally Posted by theblob View Post
    maybe its worth stickying this???
    Done.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Route 298 that runs under or along most of the Tokyo Gaikan often has speed traps through the underpass tunnels. A cop will sit on a chair behind those big center pillars about midway through and the flag down cop will be waiting as you come out in the wide merging area to the left.
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

If you want a speeding ticket on your way to or through Yamanashi, then speed up just before and after the Otsuki exit going away from Tokyo. The cops are usually there.

Pete.
    "He who conquers himself, conquers all"

Showa-dori, both directions. The longest of the bypass tunnels (the one with pillars separating north and southbound) usualy has a couple of infrared traps in it, especially on Sundays, but even on weekdays. Actually, pretty much all of Chuo-ku is one big scramble of shirobai and traffic stops. Beware.

Ikebukuro - just before the overpass going over the tracks near the north exit (Ikebukuro Oh-hashi) - often a nice big trap laid out on the Seibu/Tokyu Hands side to nail people who lanesplit, run yellows, or pretty much anything else they can get you for.

Kannana/Kanpachi/Yamate Dori - all underpasses - there will often be a piggy in a blind with a radar unit on the overpass crossing. They're usually looking for anyone that stands out from the traffic flow.

Kannana/Kanpachi/Yamate Dori - all overpasses - there's often a spotter with binoculars/scope on top of one of the taller buildings looking for yellow line crossers, and shirobai waiting at the end.

It's worth mentioning that Kannana/Kanpachi/Yamate Dori along with 246, 20, Showa-dori and Kawagoe-kaido are under a crackdown because these roads have the most motorcycle fatalities in Metro Tokyo, so bikes get extra attention from the filth.

And remember kiddies....

wsewse

Quote Originally Posted by theblob View Post
    The basic premise for avoiding the shirobai, is basically this.

don't be the first guy away from the lights. If its you you will get the ticket.
    Not only does this save you from being ticketed, it ALSO saves you from those random crazy people who run red lights. Those squids who are first off the line are the most likely to be blindsided by red-light-runners.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post
    And remember kiddies....

Other than the fact that I never drive/ride in Tokyo I've got to say that's some pretty good info there ET, but even moreso, that pic absolutely cracked me up.

Cheers. mate
    Rather the fool that knows he's a fool than the fool that thinks he's wise.

who you are means nothing, how you are means everything.

Absynthe makes the fart go Honda

Another spot, on weekends, is Odaiba. Rainbow Bridge and all 4 tunnels.
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

It is a little further south but...

The whole Yokohama- Yokosuka Road.... Between cameras and the super sneaky unmarked cars they will get you if you are speeding... but it is especially bad south of the bayshore route in the north bound lanes.

Kanonzaki Light House area- Great area for a quick winter day ride... but there are tons of cop cars that patrol all night and day that pull into peoples driveways to hide... worst part is usually they grab scooters for doing over 30kph in the 40 zone.. but as I have learned a loud pipe will get you somenew friends too

RT 357 near the new Naps.... This used to be one of those roads you might see a cop on every once in a while but never a trap but since the new naps opened it has been a whole new ball game... they are south and north of the naps the whole weekend now so be warned... might be safer to hit the naps on Rt 1.

RT 27 Just past Kinugasa Red Baron- Wow if there was ever a place to set your watch to it is here. If you stand out in fron to te dealership and smoke a cigarette you will see 3 shirobai come down the road one by one flipping u turns to keep the long tunnel moving at 40kph... Every 2 minutes one will come than the next than the next... if they aren't back around within two minutes they got some one... sounds like voltures to me...

Okay Hope that helps anyone coming down tword the muira area
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco
    If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbike View Post
    heres one, coming down gaienhigashi dori just before aoyama crossing, and ether side of roppogi tunnel they are allways there on the weekends doing speed traps.....

which tunnel is roppongi tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by slowbike View Post
    just before you get to roppongi hills there are two short tunnels one piggy is allways in the middle of then and he checks your speed and tells all the little piggys at either end

Often

Another big one I almost forgot - on Rt. 20 coming from Yotsuya towards Shinjuku, there's usually lane change checks before the Shinjuku tunnel - and they run a speed trap at the other end from time to time.

Speaking of tunnels - a favourite of the oinkers on the expresways is to station a guy in the brush at a tunnel exit, or on the overhang at the top of the tunnel. Look for the fast moving cars coming out of the tunnel to suddenly light up their brake lights as their radar detectors get hit.