Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Known police traps

Beware the Shin-Omiya Bypass (Rte 17) bridge coming from Saitama to Tokyo (crossing the Arakawa). With 4 lanes and no lights, it's tempting to speed... There's a merging lane on the left from which shirobai will pick off the quickest guys off the line from the last set of lights. Got my last ticket there

Another big one I almost forgot - on Rt. 20 coming from Yotsuya towards Shinjuku, there's usually lane change checks before the Shinjuku tunnel - and they run a speed trap at the other end from time to time.
    The reverse (heading from Shinjuku South exit to Yotsuya) was my favorite tunnel. Watch out for shirobai in the mornings from about 9am. Again not being the fastest is a good way to avoid getting a ticket.
    As far as hanging with the fast guys goes, you must race yourself until you are within striking distance of the big boys. Crashing will only destroy your confidence and set you back some coin.
    --Ben Bostrom--

Default Yamate-dori

[N00b post on this account--had to change over from "Okugaijin" with switch over to new host and the recent spate of spammers. Thanks to Jav for fixing me up. I've mostly lurked for the last couple of years I've been living and riding in Tokyo. Scooters mostly, looking to move up to a real bike, Fastbike's already been a big help.]

Heading south on Yamate-dori, if you take the left fork onto Old Yamate-dori, PoPo is usually waiting there along the Shinsen-cho side of the road, especially on Sunday mornings. They also like to hide in the shadows on the underpass where the routes split.

http://ur1.ca/1ts4

I've only been pulled over a couple of times. The first time, it was dark, and the cop mistook my Fussa scooter plates (blue w/ black lettering) for diplomat plates. He apologized profusely. The second time it was for splitting over a yellow line. In that case, the SOFA license and pretending to speak zero Japanese worked perfectly.

Rt 20 Koshu Kaido heading towards Shinjuku about 3 km before Kanpachi. Every Sunday morning 8:00-9:00. Also going the opposite way just past Chofu Nr Ajinomoto stadium, same time but on a Saturday. Kannana same time about 2km after 246 going south every Sunday. (well last 4 anyway)

Default Yoyogi Park

Couple of sneaky spots in Yoyogi Park on Inokashira-dori.

This one is the most worthy of "sneaky bastards" epithet.
    http://ur1.ca/1uvq

They catch you heading east, by waiting at the top of the hill. I've seen any number of light gunners get caught at the top. As you come up the rise, you can usually spot the orange cones beyond the next traffic light where they wave people over. It's right next to where the bands always set up on the sidewalk every Sunday. The speed limit coming up the hill is 50, and I never go over 60 until I clear the rise at the top and can confirm there's only taxi pissers or dump trucks parked along the road.

The other sneaky bastard spot is coming the other way from Meiji Jingu-mae. There's usually a spotter hiding in the bushes here, they'll catch you coming around the corner, and then flag you over at the next light past the stadium, where the ethnic fairs set up on weekends.
    http://ur1.ca/1uvv

Further along the way in Omotesando, I see them set up at the bottom of the hill, just SE of Meiji-Dori. http://ur1.ca/1uw3 I've seen them set traps on both sides, but nearly always on the SE-bound side, heading toward the top of the hill, especially just before the Koban at Aoyama Dori.
    Last edited by Dr Slump; 23-02-09 at 09:35 PM. Reason: errors

might as well constribute

Kansai - Osaka

Intersection of NagahoriDori and MidoSuji (Shinsaibashi Area)

Since Midosuji is a one way street, they are usually on the south side of the intersection waiting to pull people over although it's not always clear why they are pulling people over.

Another down the street

Sennichimae Dori and Midosuji (Namba Area)
    Again, usually on the south side of the intersection since Midosuji running North-South is a one-way street running south. Not sure why they ALWAYS have bikes pulled over there.
    --
    HydeNobuyuki ~ *Are you a Dr Jeckyl or a Mr Hyde?*

shirobai under the 246 overpass @ Akasaka-Mitsuke, both directions, also regularly a pair of P.O. verivying the way scoots turn into 246 coming from SotoboriDori, or jumping the red light at the end of the slope coming from the Imperial Palace.

As a rule of thumb, expect a speed trap in proximity of any police station, easier for them to bring offenders in for questionning.

Police Trap (A):
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=16&iwloc=addr

This spot is just south of Sengakuji, going south on HWY15 towards Shingawa.
    If you look at the actual photo, you'll see that there's a center divide. The bastards hang out on the left side of the road, and they'll catch you if you speed from a light on Saturday or Sunday mornings. I was caught there!

Police Trap (B):
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=16&iwloc=addr

IF you go in the tunnel illegally (no bikes in the tunnel), you may be greeted by a white cream puff when you come out of it. i've seen many bastards just sitting there, waiting for a bike to come out of the tunnel. They only do it during normal work hours.

If you're gonna attempt the tunnel that starts at Shiodome (under the cross walk) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=16&iwloc=addr

during normal working hours for the cream puff gents, then you've been warned. I've seen them there 10+ times in the past year. They're waiting for bikes and nothing else. They'll see you coming out of the tunnel, and they're right on your butt, and you can't run cuz you're in a tunnel.

Those are the ones that i've noticed as being blatant revenue gathering spots.

Ueno....all of Ueno.
    ive been pulled over liek 5 times

Quote Originally Posted by noppojp View Post
    <google maps>
    i think I know where all those places are, but your maps all link to the same place near Yamate dori and 246.

Don't do an address search and make sure you copy the "Link" at the top right of the map, not the page URL

For all the folks getting ticketed... What types of bikes are you riding? And a different subject.. Anyone ever get ticketed for their pipes being to loud?

I have Vance & Hines Long Shots on my Harley, no baffles, just straight pipes. I have actually pulled up beside a Shirokai at a light and chatted with him. He never even batted an eye at the noise.

There's been alot of Shiro-Bike coverage (at least 10 times) between Yoyogi-koen Koban and Yoyogi-Uehara in the last few days.

Mostly catching anyone running red lights between that stretch and speeding.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.014001&z=17

More in Osaka,

Route 14 Sangyo Doro, between Ibaraki and Suita, very often all along that road in different places.

Banpaku (Expo) Park, (route 1 ring road) Between the 171 and the park, near Osaka university hospital going south, always there at 9am. (behind a bush!!)
    Also coming onto the ring road from the Senrioka turn off occasionally there.
    Coming off the ring road at the Yamada turn off.

Don't know about the speed traps but, yesterday was most definitely not the day to ride in my area. They were on FOOT, BICYCLE, SCOOTER, BIKES and PATROL CAR. Hell, I couldn't fart without seeing a cop yesterday........and they were all giving out tickets when I saw them.
    Last edited by Sha~; 24-10-10 at 01:06 PM. Reason: addition
    08 R6
    99 Toyota Altezza

Tell me about it. I had to go to the courthouse this week to pay a 40,000 yen fine, and now I'm waiting for the letter telling me how long the ban will be. The only thing that consoles me is I wasn't paying the 180,000 that I saw some other poor b*****d hand over.
    Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade
    Honda XRV750 Africa Twin
    KTM 520EXC
    Monkey Bike (Nicked by scumbag)

OUCH!!!! that must have hurt really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjp View Post
    Tell me about it. I had to go to the courthouse this week to pay a 40,000 yen fine, and now I'm waiting for the letter telling me how long the ban will be. The only thing that consoles me is I wasn't paying the 180,000 that I saw some other poor b*****d hand over.
    08 R6
    99 Toyota Altezza

APEC is in Yokohama and till the end of next month expect a heavy police presence and extra patrols. Don't even think about speeding near Minato Mirai (Sakuragicho/Yokohama Station area)

interesting stuff- may deserve its own thread what is the procedure here if you can`t produce your license (i.e valid but in home or car ?) is there an instant fine or do they have all the info they need on computer ?

Yokohama- Kami Asao Road. Shirobai came up from nowhere. Road was a 40, I was doing 70. Got a 90.000 ticket...

Everyone speeds on that road! Its a long straight road and the limit is way too low at 40. Just unlucky i guess.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...4&ie=UTF8&z=18

¥90,000? Were you passing cars left and right? Usually good form to go with the flow and only speed up a little. Also if you're going 30km/h over, they usually suspend your license. Cop must have written a couple of offenses on your ticket cause I though each 10km/h over was about ¥10,000 yen.

Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!