Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification Required: IDP Validity !!

Question Clarification Required: IDP Validity !!

Hi !
    I need some clarification reg. the usage of International Driving permit....

I landed in Japan 1.5 yrs back, so my gaijin card carries that date; however, when I travelled back in April to my home country I got myself one of those IDP issued by the Automobile assosiations.

now my question is, technically the IDP is valid for 1 yr, but in Japan u can use it for 6mnts from date of arrival....

I got my IPD just a month back, so can I use it or not ??!!

really weird !!! :( :(

any help wud be gr8 !!

You've been a resident here for more than a year so you need to get a Japanese license. Riding around on the IDP is inviting a LOT of problems should you get pulled over or have an accident.

Exclamation

Interesting...

When I google I get different views...like the one below ..

"INTERNATIONAL If one has an international driver's permit with a motorcycle endorsement and your country's valid license, one may drive any size motorcycle. Japan only allows the use of an international permit for up to one year after your latest entry into the country (even if the international license would otherwise not be expired). "

http://www.thejapanfaq.com/bikerfaq-menkyo.html

IDP is for tourists - if you live in the country you're driving in, your IDP is not valid - technically.
    It's easier to swap 'em over now than ever ... depending on your country of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by kaushikgv View Post
    Interesting...

When I google I get different views...like the one below ..

"INTERNATIONAL If one has an international driver's permit with a motorcycle endorsement and your country's valid license, one may drive any size motorcycle. Japan only allows the use of an international permit for up to one year after your latest entry into the country (even if the international license would otherwise not be expired). "

http://www.thejapanfaq.com/bikerfaq-menkyo.html

Your latest entry is the date registered on your gaijin card.

Your most recent return to the country is actually a "re-entry" - legally different term.

I was told by one govt person, that once you have a gaijin card, you are classed
    as resident and thus you cannot use a IDL. The cops are getting more
    sassy about it. When I was stopped last week, they asked for a gaijin card and
    licenses or IDP and passport, in other words they know that a gaijin card and IDP
    are not acceptable.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Unhappy

This one gives a different story....

http://www.nzembassy.com/info.cfm?CF...9&s=bu&p=61618

No it doesn't.

the twelve month period of validity will be from the landing date in Japan shown on your Alien Registration Card
    But whatever, don't believe us, it's your funeral.

Just don't come crying when you get pulled over and then thrown in the clink for driving without a valid license.

Jackass.

No. If you could get a 1 year tourist visa then you can drive for a year.
    However, if you have any type of visa that allows you to work or be
    anything other than a tourists that is a different story.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    I was told by one govt person, that once you have a gaijin card, you are classed
    as resident and thus you cannot use a IDL. The cops are getting more
    sassy about it. When I was stopped last week, they asked for a gaijin card and
    licenses or IDP and passport, in other words they know that a gaijin card and IDP
    are not acceptable.
    Hope you said "Here's my license. As for my gaijin card - fuck off."

Just get a licence asap they are quick and I guess that you ar efrom NZ so there is no test to be taken. Just a straight swap over and your done. The longest wait that you will have is waiting for it to be given to you, the process is simple though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    Hope you said "Here's my license. As for my gaijin card - fuck off."
    As far as I know, police have a right to see gaijin cards.

One thing interesting about my last bike trip was that almost all the hotels asked to see my passport! When I told them I'm a resident and don't carry it they just said ok....

No, they don't. Not really ...
    http://www.debito.org/instantcheckpoints2.html
    http://www.debito.org/whattodoif.html#gaijincard

The relevant bits ...

What the cops know ...
    "The Foreign Registry Law, Section 13, Clause 2. Foreigners, when asked to show their Gaijin Cards by immigration investigation officials (as outlined in separate laws), police, coast guard, or any other national or local public official or group empowered by the Ministry of Justice as part of the execution of their duties, must show."
    But not perhaps ...
    "A police officer is able to ask for a person's ID, but only if based on a reasonable (gouriteki) judgment of a situation where the policeman sees some strange conduct and some crime is being committed, or else he has enough reason to suspect that a person will commit or has committed a crime, or else it has been acknowledged that a particular person knows a crime will be committed. In these cases a police officer may stop a person for questioning."So they can ask but ...

"The Foreign Registry Law, Section 13, Clause 3. Public officials governed by the previous clause, if asking for the Gaijin Card outside of their workplace, must carry a certificate of their identity and present it if asked."
    And make sure you write down THEIR details and see how they like it ... 99% of them balk at this stage "Oh you're not a real cop then bye bye Mr. Scammerman."

Truth of the matter though - I usually just hand it over cos I can't be bothered with the grief. I give them the "dealing with a petulant child" demeanor and remain patient, compliant and sigh a lot. Seems to bug them more when they don't get a rise out of you

Anyone else though - banks, shops etc who won't arrest me they get a firm no! Then I set the wife on them

Hotels in Japan are required by law to copy any tourist's passport and send it to the nearest cop shop. Same as in France and other countries. It's one way to try to keep tabs on illegal aliens.
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    "A police officer is able to ask for a person's ID, but only if based on a reasonable (gouriteki) judgment of a situation where the policeman sees some strange conduct and some crime is being committed
    Pulling over someone for a moving violation would seem to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Hotels in Japan are required by law to copy any tourist's passport and send it to the nearest cop shop.
    True, but display of any form of identification (such as driving license) which shows local residencey to distinguish you from a tourist will suffice. Some hotel staff, especially in really touristy areas, are unaware of this and may need re-education, if you feel so inclined.

Moving violation is a different kind of crime - civil vs criminal ...? Not sure but I don't think it qualifies - not when you have a license, surely? J-citizens don't have to hand over birth certificates when they get a ticket do they ;)

My last traffic ticket I only had to show a driver's license....

Ditto ... they tried to fingerprint me too but I had my inkan :P It's the roving patrol's and SS-wannabes that try it on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    True, but display of any form of identification (such as driving license) which shows local residencey to distinguish you from a tourist will suffice. Some hotel staff, especially in really touristy areas, are unaware of this and may need re-education, if you feel so inclined.
    Agreed. Most hotels will back off with a driving license. But we're required by law to carry the gaijin card at all times anyway, so it seems harmless enough to me to just show it, rather than get into a pointless argument. Well, except for people that like arguing just for the sake of an argument, like this twit Debito, who seems to spend his life trying to show how clever he is. Most of us have better things to do with our time.

Anyway, antagonizing people is not very productive. I've received very good service and often extras and freebies out of innkeepers, by treating them politely. Same goes for cops: treat them nicely and there's a chance they'll go easy on you; but piss them off and they're likely to throw the book at you. I've gotten away with a lecture and warning several times.
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.