Thread: Google Map w/Detailed English Overlay

Smile Google Map w/Detailed English Overlay

A while back, when I was living in Oosaka, there were no good English maps for Japan, especially for the rural areas. Eventually I found a website that had a beautifully detailed map, in JAPANESE. So I started poking around...

I found that the .gif images were being called with "&la=jp" in the URL. So for kicks I changed the "jp" to "en" and BOOM! English everywhere. Unfortunately this wasn't an option in their interface and I could only load one image at a time...by hand. ug.

So I took some time to remap their X/Y coordinate system to Google's Lat/Lon system, setup my server as a cache/proxy to handle the new Lat/Lon images requests, and finally used Google's Map API to present the whole thing.

And here's what I got:
    http://harukibum.com/map.php
    (hint: click English in the upper-right)

A few years later and Google now has (limited) English on their maps. A couple advantages to the data I'm using:
    -More building labels; school, ward office, groceries, post office.
    -Detailed rural area names, block numbers.
    -Mountain names, onsens, train line names, PARKS, etc.

One downside to the data I'm using: It's UGLY! :) Oh well. I hope someone finds it useful!

Good stuff! Thanks

Wow - even has the public toilets in the parks marked out.

I can read Japanese, so not as useful for me, but this will be great for walking maps for my dad when he visits.

Very Kewl.

Will move this thread to Living in Japan and Sticky it.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Man ohh man where was this thing years ago??? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

You sir are now a friend for life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco
    If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.

[QUOTE=Loco DRZ;46294]Man ohh man where was this thing years ago??? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

It was hiding at http://diddlefinger.com/

Andy